Audeze LCD-X
Mar 4, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #6,091 of 12,748

I was under the impression that the guy who made that post was being a giant dick. 

Maybe so - but when he linked to the cable burn in box, I thought it was real. LOL

Leave it to some nubie to want to go by that box or his "service".

I'm still laughing about that post. 

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #6,092 of 12,748
Hey fellas this seems like as good a place as any to ask this question: Essentially...why do Audeze headphones sound bad to me? I've listened to basically all of them and every single model has the same problem: dull, veiled treble and vocals lacking intimacy. The bass is nice, though!

I'm not trying to stir up anything! I am sincerely wondering if something is amiss. Am I the only person who has felt this way? Am I just used to how dynamics sound? I am truly bewildered when someone describes an Audeze headphone as having "sparkle"

The amps I tried with them were the Sennheiser HDVA600, Headroom BUDA, and Marantz HD-DAC1. These aren't exactly speaker amps but I figured at least the XC would sound good out of one of them.

Used various sufficient sources.

Thanks for any of you who respond!

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #6,093 of 12,748
Hey fellas this seems like as good a place as any to ask this question: Essentially...why do Audeze headphones sound bad to me? I've listened to basically all of them and every single model has the same problem: dull, veiled treble and vocals lacking intimacy. The bass is nice, though!

I'm not trying to stir up anything! I am sincerely wondering if something is amiss. Am I the only person who has felt this way? Am I just used to how dynamics sound? I am truly bewildered when someone describes an Audeze headphone as having "sparkle"

The amps I tried with them were the Sennheiser HDVA600, Headroom BUDA, and Marantz HD-DAC1. These aren't exactly speaker amps but I figured at least the XC would sound good out of one of them.

Used various sufficient sources.

Thanks for any of you who respond!

what headphones sound right to you? if u prefer the hd800 or k812 pro sound sig, i can see how you may feel that way. for a planar w a similar type of sound sig, try the he560.

not every pair of headphones suit every individual taste & thats totally chill.

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #6,094 of 12,748
The XC sounds bad to me too.

However, I love my LCD-X out of the NFB-6 (balanced). Tried it on a Geek Pulse and liked it out of that too. 

The LCD-X is the closest you can get to "sparkle" on an Audeze headphone. It is commonly used for studio monitoring but I love the sound signature just for a relaxing entertaining session. 

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #6,095 of 12,748
what headphones sound right to you? if u prefer the hd800 or k812 pro sound sig, i can see how you may feel that way. for a planar w a similar type of sound sig, try the he560.

not every pair of headphones suit every individual taste & thats totally chill.

I do really enjoy the HD800 and HD600 (650 is too veiled and has a midbass hump). The HE-5LE was pretty solid.

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #6,096 of 12,748
I'd like to suggest to anyone that owns LCD-X's (or really any headphone that has good, deep bass extension) to see if they can test out a Subpac S2.

This thing is amazing. Adds a whole new dimension to the listening experience (as well as being an excellent solution for mixing/monitoring on the low end).

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #6,097 of 12,748
interesting this Subpac S2.  How much ?  is it a "video game" stuff or really useful for "audiophiles guys" ?

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #6,098 of 12,748
  interesting this Subpac S2.  How much ?  is it a "video game" stuff or really useful for "audiophiles guys" ?

It's marketed as being suitable for anything audio related where you want more immersion. The Subpac guys have actually partnered with Audeze and Oculus (if my memory serves me correctly) for providing the most immersive virtual reality experience possible.

http://thesubpac.com/faqs/ <--- this will answer a lot of your questions.

I just received mine today after ordering one back in December (they were meant to be shipped out at the end of January, but there was a delay) and I am extremely impressed. You can hear sub-bass SO precisely (and you can calibrate the intensity to be minimal, accurate or totally body-shaking) that it reveals new information in songs I've heard hundreds of times already.

But if you look at the producers/musicians that are singing the praises of the Subpac, and then combine it with this info "Unlike some other audio companies (you know who you are) – we do NOT PAY our supporters for their endorsements."
You get a pretty good idea on whether the product is valuable or not. Audeze LCD-X's are also highly praised and are widely used as studio monitoring tools by some of the best producers out there.

Also just btw, I intend to use the S2 and LCD-X's as my mixing/monitoring tools :).

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #6,099 of 12,748
I had the Subpac S1. At first I was rather enthousiastic about it because it's great fun when you're listening to music with a good heavy beat or roaring guitars, but for longer listening sessions it did get irritating and distracting. With more relaxed music I didn't like it at all.
Also, because that first model didn't support bluetooth yet, I continuously kept pulling the cables out accidentally when I got up from my chair.
The worst thing was that that first model was completely flat. Leaning against it didn't feel natural. The new, more ergonomically designed model should be much better.

All in all it was pretty nice for using it occasionally, I just wish that you didn't only feel the bass in your back. It felt like something still was missing, but perhaps that changes with the more ergonomic model.

I recently sold my S1. It really was fun for a while and I'm glad I have tried it out, but all in all I prefer just listening to my LCD-X without it. Just for occasional use with certain songs when I am in the mood to totally rock out, I thought it was too expensive to keep it lying around.

Fun fact: I sold my Subpac to a Dutch rap artist who wants to use it for monitoring purposes!

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #6,101 of 12,748

I was under the impression that the guy who made that post was being a giant dick. 

I put my Audeze stock cable in the freezer - right next to my frozen berries (that's an excuse to tell you I eat healthily).

Apparently the temperature directly affects the treble response, giving it that ''cold'' sound the 800's tend to have. Fascinating stuff.

It was good for an experiment but I prefer the warmth Audeze's tend to carry, so I stuck them under my arse for ten minutes and they returned to normal.

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #6,102 of 12,748
  You win the internet today

Haha! It wasn't meant as bragging; it was more to show that using it for monitor purposes actually does happen more often. 
smile.gif

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #6,105 of 12,748

Users who are viewing this thread

Back