Audeze LCD-X
Feb 4, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #5,746 of 12,748

Peter, are you talking about the 3C or the 3F?  Two totally different headphones IMO..

Both. :)

The F have upped things, no doubt...but I still prefer the X for the reasons stated. But I still love the LCD-3 and 3F.

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #5,747 of 12,748
Feb 4, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #5,749 of 12,748
  Yeah, I like female vocals a lot, the flagship does them better.  

Agreed the LCD-3s have some truly magical mids...but I guess my tastes tend to push me for the more neutral and open reference headphones.

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #5,750 of 12,748

Thanks for the tip about the music.  Very nice.  Do you have any recommendations for more organ music?  I'm interested in some heavy Bach pipe organ music that pairs well with the LCD-X.  Enjoy the music!!

Thanks,
RCBinTN

http://philosopherswheel.com/ericorgan.html

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #5,751 of 12,748
  I had the LCD-3c and I found that it lacked bass extension (not presence, volume or impact) at the lowest octaves compared to the LCD-X. 

LCD-X treble also had for more sparkle. I am assuming the LCD-3f has fixed the treble part but from freq chart readouts, the bass extension is inferior to the LCD-3c. 

I think it was at InnerFidelity that I found those charts. 

There's a discrepancy between those charts at Innerfidelity and recent FR plots that have been posted in the LCD3 thread here and here. Could be sample variation but I had two LCD3Fs delivered with production date end of december and neither of those show a significant bass rolloff. In fact, they show less compared to an X's FR plot here

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #5,752 of 12,748
  I suppose "boring" as in more neutral without the lush mids of the LCD-3s (but the LCD-X's do have more air up top that really makes them sound more open and spacious). The LCD-Xs are more of a reference headphone IMO. Both are outstanding in their own rights...just depends what you're looking for.

I am hesitating between buying LCD-X and LCD-3F.

Recently I've made a short audition of LCD-X and I really liked the way she played voices. Unfortunately I haven't heard LCD-3 to compare to. Does LCD-3 present them in a similar way to LCD-X?

I am also interested how big the difference in openness/airiness of sound is between X and 3?

I listen mostly to electronic music, pop and rock. 

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #5,754 of 12,748
  What about voices? When I've auditioned LCD-X, I really liked the way it played voices. Unfortunately I haven't heard LCD-3. Does LCD-3 present voices in a similar way to LCD-X?

If you're a fan of vocals, I would recommend the 3F. Mids are delicious, and have more emotion/character/presence.

Do you experience the same problem (ears touching drivers) in LCD-3F, too?

Yes. it's the addition on the Fazor tech.

Edit: Your music tastes harmonise, rather perfectly, with the strengths of the 3F. They are more engaging/musical.

Edit 2: X/3F sound stages are equal to my ears. The X has more 'air' as the mids are recessed (comparatively). 

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #5,755 of 12,748

If you're a fan of vocals, I would recommend the 3F. Mids are delicious, and have more emotion/character/presence.

Thanks.

I have just edited my previous post and added a question. Would you mind answering it, too?:) Thank you!

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #5,756 of 12,748
  Thanks.

I have just edited my previous post and added a question. Would you mind answering it, too?:) Thank you!

Check my updated post above :¬)

I mostly listen to electronic, rock, ambient, folk and peaceful/meditative stuff, if that helps.

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #5,757 of 12,748

There's a discrepancy between those charts at Innerfidelity and recent FR plots that have been posted in the LCD3 here and here. Could be sample variation but I had two LCD3Fs delivered with production date end of december and neither of those show a significant bass rolloff. In fact, they show less compared to an X's FR plot here

The only thing that shows is inconsistency among units which pretty much invalidates any claim either of us are making about extension and the such. When I tested against the 3c. It was clear to my ears that the X had significantly more noticeable sub bass than the 3c which was more midbass centric. I thought the 3c was very enjoyable and my friend preferred it to the X. However, I preferred the X. Who knows maybe the 3f is the best of both worlds? I haven't tried so I won't assume anything. :)

Love my X just driven from a Geek Pulse with stock cables. I am still waiting for my mammoth Arcane cable. 

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #5,758 of 12,748

The only thing that shows is inconsistency among units which pretty much invalidates any claim either of us are making about extension and the such. When I tested against the 3c. It was clear to my ears that the X had significantly more noticeable sub bass than the 3c which was more midbass centric. I thought the 3c was very enjoyable and my friend preferred it to the X. However, I preferred the X. Who knows maybe the 3f is the best of both worlds? I haven't tried so I won't assume anything. :)

The 3F sits between the X and 2.2, and the 3c being an updated 2.2, I would assume your assumption is accurate (I've not heard the 3c) :¬)

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #5,759 of 12,748

Edit: Your music tastes harmonise, rather perfectly, with the strengths of the 3F. They are more engaging/musical.

Edit 2: X/3F sound stages are equal to my ears. The X has more 'air' as the mids are recessed (comparatively). 

Thank you:) Now I am sure I need to audition 3 vs X. In my mind, X sounding more open and airy with greater PRaT and bass impact would suit electronic music better. But it's only theory that I am going to put to test.

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #5,760 of 12,748
  Thank you:) Now I am sure I need to audition 3 vs X. In my mind, X sounding more open and airy with greater PRaT and bass impact would suit electronic music better. But it's only theory that I am going to put to test.

I can't speak to the 3, as I've only heard the 2.2 and (own) the X, but the X is phenomenal with EDM. One of my favorite things to do lately is find a youtube channel with an EDM/Trance playlist, run it through my amp, and rock out with the X's while I'm gaming on the PS4. Certainly when I feed the X a lossless recording it's off the charts amazing, but even a less-than-ideal source like youtube is pretty remarkable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back