Audeze LCD-X
Jan 26, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #5,641 of 12,748
I also have the Schiit Gungnir / Mjolnir stack.  Very competent equipment.  They drive the LCD-X very well, and they are capable of driving higher-impedance cans as well.  A great value at about $1600 for both DAC and amp.  Recommended.

Enjoy the music -
RCBinTN

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #5,642 of 12,748
Schiit Audio Gungnir DAC and Mjolnir headphone amp. $750 each. Fully balanced configuration. I have this exact combo driving my LCD-X. Awesome setup. Just replaced the Mjolnir with the Ragnarok to run speakers too. Look at the upcoming Yggdrasil DAC at $2299. Comes out end of Q1 supposedly. Word is it holds its own against DACs many times its cost.

I also have the Schiit Gungnir / Mjolnir stack.  Very competent equipment.  They drive the LCD-X very well, and they are capable of driving higher-impedance cans as well.  A great value at about $1600 for both DAC and amp.  Recommended.

Enjoy the music -
RCBinTN

Thanks!
I am afraid this combination might be too energetic for me, although I've never heard it myself. Just basing the opinion on some posts/comments/reviews.

What are the other amps and DACs that synergize well with LCD-X? (budget for both DAC and amp (together) - $3000)

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #5,644 of 12,748
Good options were given, but I would wait for Schiit Yggdrasil or buy a second hand Theta DS Pro Gen V . Both seem to be in the same league or better than my Msb Analog Dac from what I have read.

Jan 27, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #5,646 of 12,748
Score one for the Concero HP as a small all-in-one DAC/amp solution for the LCD-X. I'm working on my review for the Concero HP and plugged in my LCD-X tonight. Wow! Great detail, dynamics and clarity! I can't believe all of this is coming from the such a small unit. More to come...

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #5,647 of 12,748
  Score one for the Concero HP as a small all-in-one DAC/amp solution for the LCD-X. I'm working on my review for the Concero HP and plugged in my LCD-X tonight. Wow! Great detail, dynamics and clarity! I can't believe all of this is coming from the such a small unit. More to come...

Right? surprisingly good right? hahahaha i bought myself one last week.

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #5,648 of 12,748
Finally my Audeze LCD-X's came in this morning after ordering about a day ago!  
atsmile.gif
 These things look so much better in person than in pictures!  Love the retro look on these.   And yes, they have quite a bit of weight on them but like others have said they feel comfortable while wearing and the weight seems to be evenly distributed on my head.  It was between the LCD-X's or the HD800's, but after searching and reading through reviews and posts, like the comparison thread between the two, led me to my current choice over the other.  And no regrets either.  

I'll be pairing these with my Schiit Lyr 2 amp with rolled tubes (E88CC Gold Lions) and the Schiit BiFrost Uber DAC.  

Not sure if I need to post my impressions on these since I can imagine by now people already know what these headphones sounds like on various set ups.  All I can say is wow!  Better sounding than my HD700s.  

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #5,650 of 12,748
Finally my Audeze LCD-X's came in this morning after ordering about a day ago!  :atsmile:  These things look so much better in person than in pictures!  Love the retro look on these.   And yes, they have quite a bit of weight on them but like others have said they feel comfortable while wearing and the weight seems to be evenly distributed on my head.  It was between the LCD-X's or the HD800's, but after searching and reading through reviews and posts, like the comparison thread between the two, led me to my current choice over the other.  And no regrets either.  

I'll be pairing these with my Schiit Lyr 2 amp with rolled tubes (E88CC Gold Lions) and the Schiit BiFrost Uber DAC.  

Not sure if I need to post my impressions on these since I can imagine by now people already know what these headphones sounds like on various set ups.  All I can say is wow!  Better sounding than my HD700s.  

Very happy for you - they look so good.
can I ask for a comparison with the hd700's? Soundstage, details etc.
I picked a pair of 700's a few weeks ago for a VERY good price and I think they are the best headphones I've heard with drum and bass specifically. Knowing the LCD x get rated very well with fast-electronic music it would be good to know how you see them both.

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #5,652 of 12,748
Quote:
Very happy for you - they look so good.
can I ask for a comparison with the hd700's? Soundstage, details etc.
I picked a pair of 700's a few weeks ago for a VERY good price and I think they are the best headphones I've heard with drum and bass specifically. Knowing the LCD x get rated very well with fast-electronic music it would be good to know how you see them both.

I guess I'll go ahead and post my initial impressions on my LCD-X's.  
smily_headphones1.gif
  Mind you, these headphones only have less than 2 hours of burn in time and I can imagine it getting better as I let it burn in.  I'm not too experienced with describing sound so don't judge me too much!  I'll do what I can.  
rolleyes.gif

Anyways, I listen to a lot of EDM (trance/dubstep), country, rock, and acoustic/new age type music all encoded with FLAC lossless files.  

First off, the LCD-X's are highly neutral sounding and very musical headphones compared to the more V-shaped sound signature of the HD700's.  Starting out with the highs, the LCD-X's have a warmer top end but still highly resolving without sounding strident or sibilant, as opposed to the HD700s which are brighter sounding by comparison.  The HD700's are well known to be somewhat harsh sounding in the highs and that's not the case with the LCD-X's at all IMO.  Very smooth, warmer top end makes it easier to listen to at upper volumes. Not to mention how well the LCD-X's can bring out the clarity and details as well as micro-details in some songs, which took me by surprise and made it a lot of fun to listen to.  That's not to say the HD700's aren't detailed headphones, they really are and that's one of the traits about those headphones that I've enjoyed a lot.  It's just I found the LCD-X's to excel much better in this category of sound.  

There's also a nice presence and fullness in the lower and upper mid-range and are more forward sounding compared to the more laid back mids on the HD700's.  Very smooth, rich, and lush.  Vocals sound lively, present, and natural especially with female vocals which got me really engaged.  The HD700's mids sound really smooth and detailed, too, but are more laid back and a tad bit thinner sounding by comparison to the X's.  Because of that I often find myself a lot more engaged and involved with the music with the LCD-X's.  There's just that very good sense of presence and fullness to the sound and at times I found it "thick sounding" but by no means dark.  It just 'feels' right.  

The sound stage is also something that I find very intriguing with the LCD-X's.  There's a very good sense of height as well as a better sense of wide openness and airiness compared to the already wide open sound stage of the HD700's, all without losing the clarity and detail.  Very holographic sounding that everything also seems to be in their right spot in the music.  When comparing the sound stage between the two, I find the LCD-X's to be wider sounding with a better sense of instrumental separation.  It's one of the best I've heard and I think Audeze has done a phenomenal job in this category.  (Though I've heard the HD800's before and I've yet to find a headphone that can beat it's impressive wide sound stage and great imaging but the X's did come pretty close in that regard IMO)

Bass on the LCD-X's are some of the best I've heard.  It extends deep, punchy with great impact, well defined and layered, without empowering the music compared to the tighter and more refined bass presentation on the HD700's.  There's just more bass presence, definition, and quantity in the LCD-X's while balancing well with the upper frequencies, which made it very enjoyable and satisfying to listen to while listening to some of my EDM tracks.  

Comfort wise, however, I found my HD700's to be just a little more comfortable to wear.  The LCD-X's are highly comfortable, too, surprisingly with their somewhat heavy weight, but I can imagine in the summer time the soft leather pads can give me 'hot ears' like one of other leather pad headphones done before.  It's not a big issue and I find the LCD-X to be very comfortable to wear for long hours.  

That's pretty much it for my initial impressions.  The more I listen to my new LCD-X's the more and more I like it much better than my HD700's.  It seems to do everything good that my HD700's did, but better.  Almost no competition.  IF comparing these with the HD800's however, well that's a different story.  There's already another thread for that anyhow.  All of my impressions are all based on the 2-3 hours of burn in time playing music as I type up this review.  Like I said earlier, I'm not too experienced with describing sound, but I HONESTLY did my best to describe the sound as I hear it as accurately as possible.  I'm a long time lurker in these forums (note post count lol) and have read tons of reviews on headphones.  Hope this little comparison review helps.  =)

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #5,653 of 12,748

Right? surprisingly good right? hahahaha i bought myself one last week.

Have you got it yet? What do you think so far?

Finally my Audeze LCD-X's came in this morning after ordering about a day ago!  
atsmile.gif
 These things look so much better in person than in pictures!  Love the retro look on these.   And yes, they have quite a bit of weight on them but like others have said they feel comfortable while wearing and the weight seems to be evenly distributed on my head.  It was between the LCD-X's or the HD800's, but after searching and reading through reviews and posts, like the comparison thread between the two, led me to my current choice over the other.  And no regrets either.  

Congrats! I'm not surprised, the LCD-X are a league above the HD700s...you'll need to go to the HD800s to get a better comparison IMO.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #5,654 of 12,748

Congrats! I'm not surprised, the LCD-X are a league above the HD700s...you'll need to go to the HD800s to get a better comparison IMO.

Thanks!  Feels great to finally have the LCD-X's.  Yeah, I wasn't too surprised either.  I just never had owned a headphone in this price range, only have heard other's equipment from a meet.  

Jan 29, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #5,655 of 12,748

Just got it!
it actually sound surprisingly sharp detailed, accurate and energetic for something so small. Definitely an excellent pair with the X since it's easy to drive. Powerful bass impact that are not over the top, very smooth mid body and treble too. of course don't expect it to drive the HE-6, but it work perfectly awesome with my lcd x and alpha prime. One of the best choice for work, travelling and all in one dac/amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back