Audeze LCD-X
Aug 28, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #4,911 of 12,748
I'm a lurker, but thought I'd pop in to sing some praises. I am officially an Audeze fan. Bought an LCD-X from Head-Fier TMRaven a few days ago, but I somehow managed to resist the urge to listen to them until my Oppo HA-1 came in the mail today. I'm coming from an Aune T1 and HD600... Wow is all I have to say. Worth every penny.

Aug 28, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #4,912 of 12,748
  I'm a lurker, but thought I'd pop in to sing some praises. I am officially an Audeze fan. Bought an LCD-X from Head-Fier TMRaven a few days ago, but I somehow managed to resist the urge to listen to them until my Oppo HA-1 came in the mail today. I'm coming from an Aune T1 and HD600... Wow is all I have to say. Worth every penny.

wow, that's quite a jump up i'd say !
i worked my way up slower, and was almost exclusively a grado-head. , and then one day, i got a wild hair and decided to try the lcd-x
and i agree, WOW!

Aug 28, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #4,914 of 12,748
  Just ordered an 8 Strand SPC Headphone Cable from BTG for my XC.
I'm tempted to pull the trigger on an X also, but I can't stop thinking the 3 is the way to go

cool avatar !

Aug 28, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #4,915 of 12,748
  cool avatar !

biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #4,916 of 12,748
I'm currently using my LCD-X with a Gungnir/Mjolnir stack. Unfortunately, the Mjolnir is too sensitive to AC power line noise and as a result, hums on various circuits throughout my house - mostly due to Lutron dimmers. As such, I'm in the market for a new amp to pair with the Gungnir and LCD-X.

I'm interested in the Ragnarok but since it is based on a similar topology as the Mjolnir, I'm concerned I'll have the same problems -- it is also rather large for desktop use. I'm currently leaning towards a WA22. Does anyone have any other suggestions or thoughts on the WA22? I'd like it to pair well with my balanced RS1is as well.

Thanks!

Aug 31, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #4,917 of 12,748
I'm currently using my LCD-X with a Gungnir/Mjolnir stack. Unfortunately, the Mjolnir is too sensitive to AC power line noise and as a result, hums on various circuits throughout my house - mostly due to Lutron dimmers. As such, I'm in the market for a new amp to pair with the Gungnir and LCD-X.

I'm interested in the Ragnarok but since it is based on a similar topology as the Mjolnir, I'm concerned I'll have the same problems -- it is also rather large for desktop use. I'm currently leaning towards a WA22. Does anyone have any other suggestions or thoughts on the WA22? I'd like it to pair well with my balanced RS1is as well.

Thanks!

i found the mjo a bit bright with my lcd x's, and i got the bryston bha-1 and love the pairing, and its great with my gs1000e's too
i've never noticed any line noise creeping in,
i've always been a tube guy, i've tried other solid state amps, the bryston is the first one i've kept for any length of time.

Aug 31, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #4,918 of 12,748

Thanks!

I absolutely love the Wa6se with the lcd-x.  Using the Matrix X saber as dac.  Just like the wa22 you can tweak the sound with different tube combos.

Aug 31, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #4,919 of 12,748

Thanks!

i found the mjo a bit bright with my lcd x's, and i got the bryston bha-1 and love the pairing, and its great with my gs1000e's too
i've never noticed any line noise creeping in,
i've always been a tube guy, i've tried other solid state amps, the bryston is the first one i've kept for any length of time.

I have never thought the Mjolnir was too bright but then I have never had any other amp (or dac) so it is possible I just don't know any better. How can one determine if it is the amp or the dac imparting a certain quality (or lack thereof) to the sound? To me the sound quality has always been absolutely stunning with all my Audeze phones including the X. Someday I would like to be able to listen to some other amp/dac combos just to compare with what I am hearing on my system. Right now no funds to try to upgrade anything which is OK since my stuff sounds really good (to me). I will say I kind of miss the creamy mids of the LCD3(c) I had but in no way implying that the X I have now is not a great headphone. It is. But would it be even better with a better amp and dac? Is the dac more contributing to the sound quality moreso than is the amp? Is the dac just fine and the amp too "forward/aggressive" as some say? I have no way of knowing -but- it sounds good to me so that's the way it will be for a while anyway... I just listen to the music and be happy!

Aug 31, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #4,920 of 12,748

I have never thought the Mjolnir was too bright but then I have never had any other amp (or dac) so it is possible I just don't know any better. How can one determine if it is the amp or the dac imparting a certain quality (or lack thereof) to the sound? To me the sound quality has always been absolutely stunning with all my Audeze phones including the X. Someday I would like to be able to listen to some other amp/dac combos just to compare with what I am hearing on my system. Right now no funds to try to upgrade anything which is OK since my stuff sounds really good (to me). I will say I kind of miss the creamy mids of the LCD3(c) I had but in no way implying that the X I have now is not a great headphone. It is. But would it be even better with a better amp and dac? Is the dac more contributing to the sound quality moreso than is the amp? Is the dac just fine and the amp too "forward/aggressive" as some say? I have no way of knowing -but- it sounds good to me so that's the way it will be for a while anyway... I just listen to the music and be happy!

i first got the mjolnir when i had the lcd2.2, that was a great pairing to me, loved it.
then i sold the lcd2, and got the lcdx, and while it wasn't so bright it made listening difficult, i just felt it was a tad bright for my taste.
as for which component effects the sound more than another, the only way i know is hearing for yourself.
if you're getting sound you like, thats all that matters, but amps, and dacs can make a difference in a systems character.
if you like it, then its good,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back