Audeze LCD-X
Apr 12, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #3,796 of 12,748
  Sounds like she's due for a trip to a designer store or a jewelry store :)

I'll throw in the Bryston BHA-1 or the Naim DAC-V1 (as an all-in-one) as  alternate amps. They both drive the LCD-X very well. When I'm using the Bryston, I'm usually using the PeachTree DAC-iTX.

i actually prefer the bha-1 over the mjo with the lcd x, the x was a little too much on the bright side for me, but thats what the OP was looking for

Apr 12, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #3,797 of 12,748
 Thanks guys for all the suggestions. This is the high end audio section and high end audio is expensive. Seems like the best value AMP/DAC for the LCD-X at this time is the Mjolnir and  Gungnir. In addition to what I paid for the LCD-X I now will have to pay another $1600. Any suggestions on how to hide this expense from my wife? She will kill me if she finds out how much I spent. 

Sounds like she's due for a trip to a designer store or a jewelry store :)

I'll throw in the Bryston BHA-1 or the Naim DAC-V1 (as an all-in-one) as  alternate amps. They both drive the LCD-X very well. When I'm using the Bryston, I'm usually using the PeachTree DAC-iTX.

I would recommend Pathos Aurium as a better match than the Bryston. I have both and prefer the Pathos.

Apr 12, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #3,799 of 12,748
I received my Double Helix Cable Complement 2 cable for my X this week.  I think it's a significant improvement in SQ compared to the stock balanced cable.  Bass has more impact and it's better defined.  All areas seem improved.

This cable may not be for everyone though.  It is a bit stiff and heavy.  This doesn't bother me because once I get comfortable, the stiffness and weight aren't factors.  The overall sound is more lively and less laid back.  After hearing the sound quality improvements that this cable brings to the table, there is no going back to the stock cable.

Apr 12, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #3,800 of 12,748
  I received my Double Helix Cable Complement 2 cable for my X this week.  I think it's a significant improvement in SQ compared to the stock balanced cable.  Bass has more impact and it's better defined.  All areas seem improved.

This cable may not be for everyone though.  It is a bit stiff and heavy.  This doesn't bother me because once I get comfortable, the stiffness and weight aren't factors.  The overall sound is more lively and less laid back.  After hearing sound quality improvements that this cable brings to the table, there is no going back to the stock cable.

i almost got the complement 2,  i opted for the macromolecule, 8 wire peptide, with the new synergy wire, should be getting it in a couple of weeks ! peter makes some great cables

Apr 12, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #3,801 of 12,748
How are the pads holding up on everyone's Xs? I was thinking about getting the fazors installed on my LCD3s but turns out when that is done people's ears are rubbing inside due to the 6mm thickness extra of the fazors. Are the pads on the X phones less prone to compression wear after time?

Apr 12, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #3,802 of 12,748
...as much as I like them the way they are arranged on the pic with their different wood-colors, I totally agree with figaro... to me the gunmetal looks so completely displaced between the wood-cups and the black leather....

I dunno, I think the black leather goes quite well with the gunmetal gray cups. It's only the wood I feel doesn't provide a good fit. But since the gunmetal gray option has been dropped, I guess it's kind of moot at this point.

se

Apr 12, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #3,803 of 12,748
  How are the pads holding up on everyone's Xs? I was thinking about getting the fazors installed on my LCD3s but turns out when that is done people's ears are rubbing inside due to the 6mm thickness extra of the fazors. Are the pads on the X phones less prone to compression wear after time?

The right side pad of my LCD-X is noticeably thinner than the left, and the fazor rubs against my ear a bit. I need to contact Audeze to get it replaced, because those fazors are sharp. The LCD-3 sounds great, not sure why you'd add the fazors--especially for $250.

Apr 12, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #3,804 of 12,748
OK. looking for an "in" for this conversation. Why does one with an LCD-3 not just buy FEA (Fazor Equipped Aude'ze), if you don't have one? Listen to both for a while and decide. If you you like one or the other,  sell the one you don't like. Maybe this justifies the $250 hit, or not?...Maybe this has been suggested already?

Apr 12, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #3,805 of 12,748

I always put the foam separator in between the cups when I'm not wearing mine....haven't noticed any wear at all over last few months. 

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #3,806 of 12,748
  OK. looking for an "in" for this conversation. Why does one with an LCD-3 not just buy FEA (Fazor Equipped Aude'ze), if you don't have one? Listen to both for a while and decide. If you you like one or the other,  sell the one you don't like. Maybe this justifies the $250 hit, or not?...Maybe this has been suggested already?

1.      The LCD 3 from 2014 have Fazors.
2.      Some people have reported a little better soundstage, dynamic and air from the new LCD 3 with Fazor and no disadvantage in SQ.

Apr 13, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #3,807 of 12,748
Articnoise, with the LCD-3's having fazors for 2014 do you know if the overall efficiency of the 3's has been increased to anything close to that of the LCD-X's?

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #3,808 of 12,748
...as much as I like them the way they are arranged on the pic with their different wood-colors, I totally agree with figaro... to me the gunmetal looks so completely displaced between the wood-cups and the black leather....

I dunno, I think the black leather goes quite well with the gunmetal gray cups. It's only the wood I feel doesn't provide a good fit. But since the gunmetal gray option has been dropped, I guess it's kind of moot at this point.

se

...the gunmetal itself looks nice, the combination with black leather still ok, just if wood comes into the game it's simply getting a bit too much, at least for my taste..... let's see, since there was obviously quite some demand, they might even re-animate the gunmetal... who knows...

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #3,809 of 12,748
...the gunmetal itself looks nice, the combination with black leather still ok, just if wood comes into the game it's simply getting a bit too much, at least for my taste..... let's see, since there was obviously quite some demand, they might even re-animate the gunmetal... who knows...

Yeah, the wood to me just seems a bit too out of context given the other elements involved. I suspect they decided to drop the gunmetal option after discovering what a bitch it is to keep it consistent from one run to another.

se

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #3,810 of 12,748
Articnoise, with the LCD-3's having fazors for 2014 do you know if the overall efficiency of the 3's has been increased to anything close to that of the LCD-X's?

I don’t know for sure, but I seriously doubt the new LCD 3 will be more efficient by having fazors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back