Audeze LCD-X
Jan 23, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #2,731 of 12,748

Absolutely I still have it...dont' really NEED it, but it's too good of an amp to sell. 

I just spent the last six hours with the Jazz/X pairing and, in my opinion, it sounds REALLY close to the Classic....[

Awesome thank you for the insight! I wasn't too sure how the Jazz would fair with a planar headphone. I myself have electro stat. speakers in my living room so it actually sounds like our sonic "tastes" might align a little. I am also not that surprised to hear that the Classic is so close to the Jazz, the Jazz is pretty much colorless to me, the proverbial "straight wire with gain".

I communicate with Jan from time to time, and after I had the Jazz for about a year I told him that I really didn't even feel a need to upgrade, I just wanted to make sure I had enough on tap for harder to drive phones for when I added to my collection. He explained that he wasn't surprised how much I liked it, because he considers it one of the best amps he's ever built, but since he typically doesn't advertise and relies mainly on word of mouth and forum activity, it never really took off like he thought it would. He's very conscious about keeping costs as low as possible for his consumers, so I'm always glad to see others who appreciate this great little amp. 

And I agree, I detect no coloration or bias with either the Jazz or Classic. I bought the Classic and the Daccord together, but I could have been just as happy with the Daccord and keeping the Jazz in play since the Daccord has the full crossfeed circuit. It drove the LCD2s just fine, and it does great with the Xs, as well. That's the main reason I have not sold the Jazz even though I had some inquires. It's so inexpensive that it's not worth it...it's way too good to sell. For those of us who want a neutral amp, it's a huge bargain, as you know. 

I wouldn't hesitate at all to pair an Audeze phone with the Jazz...sounds great to me! 

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #2,732 of 12,748
  My Schiit stack (Mjolnir/Gungnir) was stolen last week along with my PC, and thankfully my LCD-X didn't arrive for another few days. (They didn't take my LCD-2.2, because I guess thieves don't value them as highly as Beats...) As much as it sucks having my Schiit taken, it does give me an opportunity to start from scratch.

As much as I liked my setup, I felt like what I was hearing was too dependent on where the volume knob was set, meaning that, by the time I had the setting up where I wanted, the highs seemed too aggressive, unfocused and grainy. When I turned the volume down to fix this, the bass response and impact weren't quite where I wanted.

Based on some of your insight and continuing research, I've been looking at a few options for great pairings with my currently homeless LCD-X. I need your help to steer me in the right direction.

I'm looking for absolute best price to performance ratio, (aren't we all?) without going very far on the diminishing returns law, and I'm trying to limit myself to around $2 - 2.5K total if needed. If the best components comparably happen to be much less, even better. Here are a few pairings I'm considering:

Dangerous Music Source
WA7
Meridian Prime
Chord Hugo
Yulong YA8 > Audio-gd 6/8/9
Schiit Gungnir > Violectric V181 / V200

I recently acquired a 4-pin balanced Toxic Silver Widow Cable, so it'd be nice to get a balanced system that could put it to use, but I'm willing to part with it if there are better suggestions.

It's really hard to pull the trigger on any of this stuff having only heard the Gungnir, but as always, your recommendations are a huge help.

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #2,733 of 12,748

Based on some of your insight and continuing research, I've been looking at a few options for great pairings with my currently homeless LCD-X. I need your help to steer me in the right direction.

I'm looking for absolute best price to performance ratio, (aren't we all?) without going very far on the diminishing returns law, and I'm trying to limit myself to around $2 - 2.5K total if needed. If the best components comparably happen to be much less, even better. Here are a few pairings I'm considering:

Dangerous Music Source
WA7
Meridian Prime
Chord Hugo

I recently acquired a 4-pin balanced Toxic Silver Widow Cable, so it'd be nice to get a balanced system that could put it to use, but I'm willing to part with it if there are better suggestions.

It's really hard to pull the trigger on any of this stuff having only heard the Gungnir, but as always, your recommendations are a huge help.

DA8 + Master 9 - for sure. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #2,734 of 12,748
  Audez'e has lightning quick service here in the U.S.A.

I have very little doubt the turn around time for a headband replacement will be like 24 hours upon receipt of your phone; it might even be the same day, and they'll ship it back to you in 2 days flat with a cookie and a customer love note inside.

My experience so far with Audeze support is by far the best I have ever had with any company.  Delayed shipping my 2 phones because they wanted to first verify I really ordered them but once this was verified they complimentary next day aired them to me and have even responded to every question I had about them all same day.  Just requested the FR graphs for them and within an hour they were being sent.  I have no doubt what you are saying is very true, including the cookie and love note :wink:

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #2,736 of 12,748

Dangerous Music Source
WA7
Meridian Prime
Chord Hugo

DA8>M9 is what I currently have, it is decent match for LCD-X (excellent match for HD800
tongue.gif
) but sometimes I wish it is little bit more aggressive. I was going to change my DAC to Gungnir or X-sabre based on review but found decent deal on PWD MK2. M9 has smooth warmish sound I would go with some aggressive DACs 

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #2,737 of 12,748
  DA8>M9 is what I currently have, it is decent match for LCD-X (excellent match for HD800
tongue.gif
) but sometimes I wish it is little bit more aggressive. I was going to change my DAC to Gungnir or X-sabre based on review but found decent deal on PWD MK2. M9 has smooth warmish sound I would go with some aggressive DACs

Could switching the amp instead of the DAC in this combo have an opposite but equal effect? I felt that Gungnir > Mjolnir > LCD-X yielded highs that were etchy and aggressive. If DA8 is smooth and warm, and Mjolnir is forward and aggressive, might that be a good match?

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #2,739 of 12,748

Could switching the amp instead of the DAC in this combo have an opposite but equal effect? I felt that Gungnir > Mjolnir > LCD-X yielded highs that were etchy and aggressive. If DA8 is smooth and warm, and Mjolnir is forward and aggressive, might that be a good match?

I don't think DA8 is smooth and warm much. only complain I have with my set-up(DA8>M9>LCD-X) is that bass could be little tighter but It could be my M9 or LCD-X I can't tell for sure until I get other gears to compare.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #2,740 of 12,748
  I don't think DA8 is smooth and warm much. only complain I have with my set-up(DA8>M9>LCD-X) is that bass could be little tighter but It could be my M9 or LCD-X I can't tell for sure until I get other gears to compare.

I know both DA8 and M9 are a great value for what is being paid, but if they're not a great match for the LCD-X together, I'd like to keep one of the two in my chain. If I have to drop one, which should it be, and what amp or dac would pair well with the one I keep? I do like me some full, punchy, extended bass. :)

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #2,741 of 12,748
  For what it's worth, I have also had excellent service from Audeze...pre-sale, the purchase process, and post-sale

My experience so far with Audeze support is by far the best I have ever had with any company.  Delayed shipping my 2 phones because they wanted to first verify I really ordered them but once this was verified they complimentary next day aired them to me and have even responded to every question I had about them all same day.  Just requested the FR graphs for them and within an hour they were being sent.  I have no doubt what you are saying is very true, including the cookie and love note :wink:

I also want to compliment Audeze, and specifically Mark Harper, on the customer support. I went to order these headphones but was informed that the postal service had problems identifying my address as an APO address (overseas military), but still was sent out. There's a good chance that the package wouldnt reach me and would be returned back to Audeze. Mark (who i learned is a captain in the air force) sent me a message to let me know that there could be a delay. Unfortunately, the fastest it would take for any mail to reach me would be a week's worth of wait; Mark told me that he didn't want me to have to wait for the headphones to be returned. So what did Audeze decide to do? ship a second pair right off the back to take care of me. I thoroughly appreciate the gesture and so begins my fanhood... without even hearing the headphones yet.

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #2,742 of 12,748
Consider the Naim DAC-V1. It has a clear presentation with some high-end sparkle when driving the LCD-X on it's own. When you want more treble and assertiveness, add the Bryston BHA-1. The sound spectrum sounds much more even across the frequency range when using it. Though I'm still early in getting to know both products so far, I like both depending on my mood.

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #2,743 of 12,748
I heard the LCD-X today, among others, absolutely wonderful, I loved it!

I now have the issue of deciding on my Amp/Dac. Im torn between the Oppo 105D bluray player (sounded great through this) or the Burson Conductor 1793. What to do indeed. Conductor sounded slightly better, but the Oppo has many other benefits.

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #2,744 of 12,748
The Oppo will give you a lot more flexibility as a Blu-Ray player obviously and if the sound quality is almost up to snuff with the Conductor I would think that would be your best bet even though it's not a dedicated headphone amp. It's all about what your looking for.

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #2,745 of 12,748
The Oppo will give you a lot more flexibility as a Blu-Ray player obviously and if the sound quality is almost up to snuff with the Conductor I would think that would be your best bet even though it's not a dedicated headphone amp. It's all about what your looking for.

Thank you :)

I think this is what I will go for, further down the line I may add in a Burson Soloist :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back