Audeze LCD-X
Dec 12, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #2,086 of 12,748
dan what are you using as your source with the Taboo? im looking at a computer setup, which is why I think an all-in-one would be a good option (less clutter, happier wife
wink.gif

The setup is Computer USB -> Audiobyte Hydra-X - > coax Burson Conductor (as dac)  rca dac out - > taboo mk3 

Burson Conductor is a fine piece of gear, especially with a good usb interface. 

Dec 12, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #2,087 of 12,748

The setup is Computer USB -> Audiobyte Hydra-X - > coax Burson Conductor (as dac)  rca dac out - > taboo mk3 

So your using the Burson as a DAC only? I thought it exceled more as an amplifier than it did as a pure DAC.

Dec 12, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #2,088 of 12,748

Also what is the Audiobyte Hydra-X, never heard of that one before

Dec 12, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #2,089 of 12,748

Tubes with the LCD2s? Oy vey...pure slush!

I have to disagree. I think it depends. I have heard LCD2 (I think on Barry S' system) and, while I prefer headphones like HD800 and HE6, I thought it sounded nice.

I am really considering the LCD-X though. Having just gotten the DNA Stratus last weekend, I bet it would be a match made in heaven. I heard the LCD3 with a Stratus at a local meet, and I thought it sounded great! I also heard them on the GSX then, and while I did not do side by side, I thought they (Stratus vs. GSX) were at least competitive. TBH I though I would never get a pair of Audezes until I heard them on the Stratus.

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #2,091 of 12,748

So, what do we have here?  These are the rankings of the headphone amps I've tried so far with the LCD-Xs:
1. EF-6: while tied with the Darkstar in every department, it is close to 2K cheaper!  This one is a no-brainer.  If you got's the the dinero, blindly take the leap...it will also drive your HD800 and T1 to perfection.

2. Darkstar: amazing, but way too expensive...get the EF-6 and you'll be missing nothing (i.e., since the use of balanced interconnects with the EF-6 is not possible - only RCAs - I am thinking that the great sound of the Darkstar has nothing to do with it being fully balanced...it's all about the power, baby.

3. Mjolnir: the surprise of the day...if you are on a budget and want to have the LCD-Xs shine, go for it, but get a good copper headphone replacement cable...you won't regret it.  If you are in an even tighter budget, just get the Mjolnir with the LCD2s...The two together sound amazing, even with classical music...this is the first time in my life when I've heard the LCD-2s presenting a respectable soundstage and a fairly extended treble. The LCD-3s with the Mjolnir must be magical, by the way!@.

4.  Don't wast your money with the Burson if you want to drive the LCD-Xs (now, if you want to drive the TH900s, Beyer T5P, Ultrasone Ed. 8, and Audio Technicas of the world, do get it, since it is a glorious and relatively affordable amp; just don't expect it to make water into wine when it comes to the LCD-Xs...sounds good, but there are much better choices.

5.  Decware Taboo:  the jury is still out since I have much tube rolling to do still, but I would tend to agree with the venerable one (i.e., Macedonian Hero) on this one: Orthos were not made to be played by tube amps!!!

6.  HeadRoom Ultra Desktop Amp: foggeddabouit...doesn't do enough for the money you pay...let's just leave it at that.

As you can see, the more powerful the amp, the better it drives the LCD-Xs.  These may be efficient and all you want, but they do like it when driven by a couple of dynamite sticks.

I hope these "vignettes" have been helpful to the head-fi community.  It has been an honor!

Sincerely,

Figaro

P.S. - using Oppo and Marantz SACD players all the way...no compressed music in this neighborhood!

Thanks for all of your work, Figaro! Interesting findings, especially with regard to power 'requirements' to get the best sound. 

Now I am wondering if a speaker amp might not also be a  way to go with the LCD-X, although then you get into resistor boxes and such, which would diminish the power output of the amp.

Never thought I would get to the point of thinking that the price of the EF-6 would be  'cost effective'.    I guess such is the price of entering into 'state of the art headphone territory'.   
confused_face.gif

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #2,092 of 12,748

Tubes with the LCD2s? Oy vey...pure slush!

I have to disagree. I think it depends. I have heard LCD2 (I think on Barry S' system) and, while I prefer headphones like HD800 and HE6, I thought it sounded nice.

I am really considering the LCD-X though. Having just gotten the DNA Stratus last weekend, I bet it would be a match made in heaven. I heard the LCD3 with a Stratus at a local meet, and I thought it sounded great! I also heard them on the GSX then, and while I did not do side by side, I thought they (Stratus vs. GSX) were at least competitive. TBH I though I would never get a pair of Audezes until I heard them on the Stratus.

Too tubey (e.g., using Mullard tubes) will make the LCD-2s sound slushy...use Siemens or Telefunken tubes and the LCD-2s will most likely sound great.  So, yes...it's not always pure slush with tubes and the LCD-2s.  With one of those Manley Labs 300B tube amps, I am betting they'll be slush, though!

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #2,093 of 12,748
  Thanks for all of your work, Figaro! Interesting findings, especially with regard to power 'requirements' to get the best sound.

Now I am wondering if a speaker amp might not also be a  way to go with the LCD-X, although then you get into resistor boxes and such, which would diminish the power output of the amp.

Never thought I would get to the point of thinking that the price of the EF-6 would be  'cost effective'.    I guess such is the price of entering into 'state of the art headphone territory'.   
confused_face.gif

hehe! Only cost effective relative to the Darkstar...but, then again, everything is cost effective next to the Darkstar.  The thing with the darkstar is that about half the cost of the amp is the result of the beautiful metal casing that encloses it; quality-wise, the EF-6 is on par with the Darkstar when it comes to driving the LCD-X.  The EF-6 is one ugly, clunky, utilitarian behemoth of a box (and as heavy as the Titanic), though.  Hifiman has to work hard on improving the look of their products without increasing the price too much in the process.

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #2,094 of 12,748

Also what is the Audiobyte Hydra-X, never heard of that one before

Here is my review on Hydra-X .

Burson has a good dac but a bad usb implementation.

The new one may be better, didn't test it yet. With a good usb interface it sounds much better. On the usb input I cannot listen to it any more.

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #2,096 of 12,748
Another SS-based amp that I feel should be recommended with the X and also the LCD-3 is the Phonitor/Auditor. It does an absolutely excellent job with powering them and I do not find anything lacking in the sound.

Dec 12, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #2,098 of 12,748
Any one have experience with the Violectric V200, and whether that would also be a good match with the LCD-X? 2000mW and 4 volts available into a 16ohm. From what I have read, it's pretty neutral but with some tube-like warmth......

Dec 12, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #2,099 of 12,748
  Another SS-based amp that I feel should be recommended with the X and also the LCD-3 is the Phonitor/Auditor. It does an absolutely excellent job with powering them and I do not find anything lacking in the sound.

I used to own the Phonitor.  Even though it was a wonderful-sounding amp, I had to return it for a refund due to it not fitting inside my cabinet (i.e., the darn thing is just too long...once you plugged in the interconnects, the front part was sticking out).  From what I heard at the time (I loved it and would have kept it had it not been for the above problems), it would likely be a wonderful partner to the LCD-Xs.

Dec 12, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #2,100 of 12,748
Tonight I'm going back to the drawing board with the taboo and the LCD-Xs for the benefit of humanity, hehehe!  I don't think I'll ever use it myself to drive the Xs, but I'll grapple with it for Dan.Gheorghe's peace of mind (hehehe!).  May be I can fine-tune it to get it to the Darkstar/EF-6 level (or at least to the Mjolnir level).  We shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back