Audeze LCD-X
Dec 5, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #1,876 of 12,748
  Just received my pair tonight.  Not sure if it's a break-in issue or what I'm driving them with, but these have got to be the most rolled off headphones that I've ever heard.

Something is definitely wrong there... What are you using them with?

Dec 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #1,877 of 12,748
Rolled off highs? Lows?

Dec 5, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #1,878 of 12,748
Just received my pair tonight.  Not sure if it's a break-in issue or what I'm driving them with, but these have got to be the most rolled off headphones that I've ever heard.

...:popcorn:

Dec 5, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #1,881 of 12,748
  Something is definitely wrong there... What are you using them with?

RWA-AK100  (Red Wine Audio modified Astell & Kern AK100).   I've been lusting after Audeze for over a year based on everything I read (although I knew I probably wouldn't be satisfied with the LCD-2's because of its reputed dark sound) and when I heard about the low sensitivity of the LCD-X I thought it would work well with my portable player (which sounds amazing with my Shure SE-535's).

I mean I can play songs that have edgy highs that would rip my ears off and it's dull sounding on these cans. 

I guess you really do need a good amp?

Dec 5, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #1,882 of 12,748
troll?

Dec 5, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #1,883 of 12,748

RWA-AK100  (Red Wine Audio modified Astell & Kern AK100).   I've been lusting after Audeze for over a year based on everything I read (although I knew I probably wouldn't be satisfied with the LCD-2's because of its reputed dark sound) and when I heard about the low sensitivity of the LCD-X I thought it would work well with my portable player (which sounds amazing with my Shure SE-535's).

I mean I can play songs that have edgy highs that would rip my ears off and it's dull sounding on these cans. 

I guess you really do need a good amp?

Not really...the LCD-X are really efficient and sound amazing out of my lowly FiiO E11. Do you have another amp to try? Even a receiver with a headphone jack?

Dec 5, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #1,886 of 12,748
  Not really...the LCD-X are really efficient and sound amazing out of my lowly FiiO E11. Do you have another amp to try? Even a receiver with a headphone jack?

eek.gif
 really?

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #1,888 of 12,748

Yes, I'll try with some of my (recording) studio gear and report back.

I just tried straight out of my RME Fireface 400 sound card.  Much more balanced but nowhere near as bright as I'm used to from any of my headphones, my Focal studio monitors or Wilson Alexias (paired with tube preamp and tube amps).   Strange.

That said, they sound beautiful.  Bass is pretty damn perfect: rich, deep, articulate and full of character - almost like a perfect blend of tube and solid state.  I'm hearing LOTS of midrange ambience that I've never heard before.   Black Cow from Steely Dan almost sounds weird at the beginning.  Soundstage is not as big and airy as I hoped it would be (my Shure IEMs are bigger, but maybe that's to be expected?).

I just wish there was a little more up top, but again that could be my ears, what I'm used to etc.

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #1,889 of 12,748

I just tried straight out of my RME Fireface 400 sound card.  Much more balanced but nowhere near as bright as I'm used to from any of my headphones, my Focal studio monitors or Wilson Alexias (paired with tube preamp and tube amps).   Strange.

That said, they sound beautiful.  Bass is pretty damn perfect: rich, deep, articulate and full of character - almost like a perfect blend of tube and solid state.  I'm hearing LOTS of midrange ambience that I've never heard before.   Black Cow from Steely Dan almost sounds weird at the beginning.  Soundstage is not as big and airy as I hoped it would be (my Shure IEMs are bigger, but maybe that's to be expected?).

I just wish there was a little more up top, but again that could be my ears, what I'm used to etc.

That's the beauty about Audeze headphones, they extend very well in the treble, but aren't bright like so many headphones. Very natural sounding.

The sound staging on my setup is very good, better than most of my previous headphones (except for the HD800s and SR-009s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back