Audeze LCD-X
Dec 6, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #1,891 of 12,748
So, what are you driving them with?  Mine are coming in tomorrow and I'll be driving them with the Ray Samuels Dark Star, which does amazingly well with planars (after all, it was designed with THE MONSTER (i.e., HE-6) in mind.  Maybe lots of power in reserve could make them sound great even at lower volumes.  I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Mostly my Mjolnir, but the Vali as well. The Mjolnir delivers 8 clean watts per channel into 32 ohms and the LCD-X is 22 ohms, so unless the X needs dilithium crystals, there should be power to spare. The LCD-X has somewhat better low volume performance than the LCD-2, but Audeze cans really open up at higher volumes.

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #1,892 of 12,748
Mac, you have a pair of SR-009's, HD800's & the new LCD-X! Damn your making me jealous, your living in headphone Nirvana :)

Dec 6, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #1,893 of 12,748

I thought the LCD-X needed 2 watts to sound good? 

They sound amazing out of my WA22, which is not producing 2W.  Who knows, though, maybe they'd sound better out of a GS-X or beta22?  I am not going to find out anytime soon, but I am loving them with the WA22.

Dec 6, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #1,894 of 12,748
Mostly my Mjolnir, but the Vali as well. The Mjolnir delivers 8 clean watts per channel into 32 ohms and the LCD-X is 22 ohms, so unless the X needs dilithium crystals, there should be power to spare. The LCD-X has somewhat better low volume performance than the LCD-2, but Audeze cans really open up at higher volumes.

your problem is definitely not lack of power!

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #1,895 of 12,748

Definitely agree with this. I had to listen at very high volume levels with the LCD-2 perhaps because the treble was so shelved.

Dec 6, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #1,897 of 12,748
I've been enjoying the LCD-Xs over the last couples days, via the output of my BDP-105. Very sweet pairing, actually. I have a Vali amp on order; just curious about the pairing. The Oppo is absolutely dead quiet with these headphones. I love the way the LCD-X presents music in such an effortless manner. Maybe some prefer a more "in your face presentation", but I don't. Treble detail is there.....eerily so, in fact......but just in an unforced way. Everything is presented in an unforced manner. Maybe that adds to our tendency to turn up the volume. 

Been wondering if it makes sense to start another thread dedicated to people's findings about amps that work particularly well with the LCD-X, that bring out the best in the headphone, or maybe it's too early. In any case, but I wonder what are people's favorite pairings so far? I read somewhere on this thread that someone heard them with the Cavalli Liquid Gold, and thought it was the best sound he'd heard. Anything out there for more 'down-to-earth' prices that work exceptionally well?

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #1,898 of 12,748
Ah, gotcha.

But after seeing all the pencil neck geeks complaining about the Audez'es being too heavy, it was fun imagining some limp-wristed Sallys who couldn't bear to turn the volume knob up a bit more.
biggrin.gif

se

LOL

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #1,899 of 12,748

Anything out there for more 'down-to-earth' prices that work exceptionally well?

I've been using it with a B.M.C. PureDAC, and it sounds fine.  I'm going to try to do some in-depth comparisons with my Macbook Air's headphone jack, my Onkyo receiver, and my CEntrance DACport as soon as finals are over.  If, that is, I decide to keep it.

I'm finding it hard to justify spending all that money for something I can only use 3-4 hours a day.

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #1,901 of 12,748
  I've been using it with a B.M.C. PureDAC, and it sounds fine.  I'm going to try to do some in-depth comparisons with my Macbook Air's headphone jack, my Onkyo receiver, and my CEntrance DACport as soon as finals are over.  If, that is, I decide to keep it.

I'm finding it hard to justify spending all that money for something I can only use 3-4 hours a day.

Work from home. Problem solved :))

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #1,902 of 12,748

evil_smiley.gif
  Let's see... 4 hours a day, keep it for 6 months... 720 hours.   Sell at 75% of new price (which is probably lowball).... $1700 - $1275.   Net cost... $425 - less than $0.60/hr.   Bargain!  
beyersmile.png

Dec 6, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #1,904 of 12,748
  I've been enjoying the LCD-Xs over the last couples days, via the output of my BDP-105. Very sweet pairing, actually. I have a Vali amp on order; just curious about the pairing. The Oppo is absolutely dead quiet with these headphones. I love the way the LCD-X presents music in such an effortless manner. Maybe some prefer a more "in your face presentation", but I don't. Treble detail is there.....eerily so, in fact......but just in an unforced way. Everything is presented in an unforced manner. Maybe that adds to our tendency to turn up the volume.

Been wondering if it makes sense to start another thread dedicated to people's findings about amps that work particularly well with the LCD-X, that bring out the best in the headphone, or maybe it's too early. In any case, but I wonder what are people's favorite pairings so far? I read somewhere on this thread that someone heard them with the Cavalli Liquid Gold, and thought it was the best sound he'd heard. Anything out there for more 'down-to-earth' prices that work exceptionally well?

At a recent meet, I brought a fairly typical 'mid-fi' setup (uber frost, lyr with orange globes).  It did a fairly decent job but definitely wasn't as good as the GS-X or Master 8.  This led me to the conclusion to upgrade my front end a lot more before moving into a pair of these.

Dec 6, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #1,905 of 12,748
  At a recent meet, I brought a fairly typical 'mid-fi' setup (uber frost, lyr with orange globes).  It did a fairly decent job but definitely wasn't as good as the GS-X or Master 8.  This led me to the conclusion to upgrade my front end a lot more before moving into a pair of these.

FWIW, I found the Lyr to be a less than optimal pairing with the LCD-X's.  The warm signature of the Lyr isn't ideal with the warm bass of the X's IMO.  I love my Lyr with HE-6's and even the LCD-2's.

My point is simply that you may not need to spend loads more on the front end...just a different sound signature than the Lyr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back