Audeze LCD-X
Nov 28, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #1,636 of 12,748
i paid 400$ per tube or so. theres only 1 left for that price on ebay. theres pairs for 800 though, might be an option if you are considering WA5.

i would not buy the ones for 700+ per tube, but unfortunately, prices will eventually rise to that price. especially considering the western electric 422a is probably better than the metal mullard gz34 which can already sell for that much if NIB.

Nov 28, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #1,638 of 12,748
  Mac..........please post the pictures of your Bryston>Headamp GS-X mkII>LCDX............

Sorry..been really busy...I'll try soon.  
redface.gif

Nov 28, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #1,639 of 12,748

I am not sure what I would prefer to buy for the listed pricing - those tubes, or an audiophile usb cable. Most probably the cable as the signal at least stays lossless going through it.

What kind of digital (remember, 1s and 0s) cable doesn't maintain a lossless signal?

I think, for the price, I'd just get a whole solid state amp. :)

Nov 28, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #1,640 of 12,748
What kind of digital (remember, 1s and 0s) cable doesn't maintain a lossless signal?

I think, for the price, I'd just get a whole solid state amp. :)

I wonder the same thing. I also wonder about $400.+ rectifier tubes. I'd take the money and go straight to the LCD-3's.

You want to make a difference in the way the amp sounds, put the money in an output transformer upgrade.

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #1,642 of 12,748
^ Nothing against you in particular MH, but why are people stacking the amp & PSU when the manual specifically says to not do it? (Your setup isn't the first that I've seen that has them stacked.) I don't even know how you can put up with it in that configuration either. When I tried it myself on both my sensitive Audio-Technica AD2000 and Fostex TH900, the audible transformer interference drove me nuts and I had to separate them by more than 8 vertical inches to finally get rid of it.

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #1,644 of 12,748
^ Nothing against you in particular MH, but why are people stacking the amp & PSU when the manual specifically says to not do it? (Your setup isn't the first that I've seen that has them stacked.) I don't even know how you can put up with it in that configuration either. When I tried it myself on both my sensitive Audio-Technica AD2000 and Fostex TH900, the audible transformer interference drove me nuts and I had to separate them by more than 8 vertical inches to finally get rid of it.

No offense there Asr, but it's none if your business. :p

That said, I normally don't stack my headphones on top of my gear either. What took me so long was I had to move the power supply portion of the GS-X MK2 from on top of my BDA-2 to the top shelf so it could be better viewed in the photo. It's now safely back in place on the second shelf on top of my DAC. Thanks for your concern. :wink:

That said, on Med Gain and with my TH900s , when stacked the hum is only barely audible. :) with the hd800s and LCD-3s on High gain, there is zero noise floor whatsoever.

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #1,645 of 12,748
it is funny though how the manual would suggest that you not do the very thing that is presented on their site. 

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #1,646 of 12,748
Headamp has them stacked on their website:

The GS-X photos currently on the HeadAmp site are of the older MK1 (circa 2006, I think), which is visually obvious compared to MH's MK2. The MK1 used smaller transformers in the PSU and thus had less heat output & EMI as a result.

No offense there Asr, but it's none if your business.
tongue.gif

That said, I normally don't stack my headphones on top of my gear either. What took me so long was I had to move the power supply portion of the GS-X MK2 from on top of my BDA-2 to the top shelf so it could be better viewed in the photo. It's now safely back in place on the second shelf on top of my DAC. Thanks for your concern.
wink.gif

That said, on Med Gain and with my TH900s , when stacked the hum is only barely audible.
smily_headphones1.gif
with the hd800s and LCD-3s on High gain, there is zero noise floor whatsoever.

Heh, point taken and I'm glad to hear that you don't use the GS-X MK2 stacked.
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #1,647 of 12,748
  it is funny though how the manual would suggest that you not do the very thing that is presented on their site. 

Why is that funny ?  People seem to be getting confused between "product photos" and real-world usage.  The photo on the website also shows that the amp doesn't have a power cord connected (at least it is not plugged in) and no headphones ... does this therefore mean that Headamp recommends that the amp not be plugged in, and that headphones not be used ??  Does it mean that the recommendation in the instruction manual was placed in there just to confuse people who determine how to use their products solely by looking at advertisements ?  Common sense, please ...

Nov 29, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #1,648 of 12,748
I had my GS-X mk2 stacked from day 1 and with any and all my headphones I had no issues what so ever.  Mybe that wont be the case with the next GS-X mk2 I get, but with the one I had = no problems at all.  I mean ZERO noise with the TH900, each set of Denons I had and with the AD2Ks.  I tried to hear it, but it just wasn't there.

Nov 29, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #1,649 of 12,748
  I had my GS-X mk2 stacked from day 1 and with any and all my headphones I had no issues what so ever.  Mybe that wont be the case with the next GS-X mk2 I get, but with the one I had = no problems at all.  I mean ZERO noise with the TH900, each set of Denons I had and with the AD2Ks.  I tried to hear it, but it just wasn't there.

+1

i do notice slightly more noise when stacked, but its only when the volume pot is at higher than volumes i would listen at. and i listen pretty loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back