Audeze LCD-X
Dec 5, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #12,481 of 12,748
For all your LCDs
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=343157454283444&id=100057675750168

IMG_20211205_130744.jpg
IMG_20211205_130859.jpg
IMG_20211201_203655.jpg

Dec 5, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #12,483 of 12,748
Does any one have any solutions for people with small heads not getting a good seal and a floaty fit. I have installed a third party leather band that was recommended to me that did help with the issue but only very slight. I’m fine when in a still and upright position but when it’s anything besides that I’m out of luck. I just want to be able to look at my iPad in my lap or put some Lego together from time to time.

Dec 5, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #12,484 of 12,748
Does any one have any solutions for people with small heads not getting a good seal and a floaty fit. I have installed a third party leather band that was recommended to me that did help with the issue but only very slight. I’m fine when in a still and upright position but when it’s anything besides that I’m out of luck. I just want to be able to look at my iPad in my lap or put some Lego together from time to time.
I honestly think you're going to have to find a lighter headphone. Audeze, across their entire product line, has a weight problem. Not sure if you've tried any Focals before but they would be my suggestion. I demo'd the '21 LCD-X for a few days and while they're much better than the LCD-2's I once had, they really just couldn't compete with my Clear Mg's, so I returned them. The Focals will also feel like a breath of fresh air to wear in comparison. Find a way to demo them, make sure they've been broken in for at least 12 hrs, though 24 hrs is better, and see if you agree. There are Eq solutions available for both parametric Eq and convolution to further fine-tune them (to near perfection, IMO). I try other models from time to time to see if anything can displace the Clear Mg's as my numero uno, but so far nothing has and there's really only one left that I want to try, the Denon AH-D9200, which will be the only closed-back design I have tried. If they can't beat 'em either, then I'm perfectly content to stay with them for the foreseeable future.

Dec 5, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #12,485 of 12,748
oh I wasn’t aware there was a feasible way to demo cans! I’m in central Florida and unfortunately don’t have any shops near me. I’ll have to dive in on some research. I will say I don’t feel the weight that much…until I put on my hd650 lol just wish I had some more clap or a larger skull

Dec 5, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #12,486 of 12,748
I don't have a physical store near me either. Just buy from a place with a generous return policy (Amazon comes to mind). Take great care when unpacking them so that you can repack them if you don't like them and want to return. I'm not suggesting anyone abuse this practice and buy all sorts of things willy-nilly, knowing you don't intend to keep them, but if you're buying with the honest intention to determine if this is a product you want then there's nothing wrong with doing this. Again, just return them as you got them. Brick and mortar audio stores have encouraged this exact practice for decades.

Dec 5, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #12,487 of 12,748
I don't have a physical store near me either. Just buy from a place with a generous return policy (Amazon comes to mind). Take great care when unpacking them so that you can repack them if you don't like them and want to return. I'm not suggesting anyone abuse this practice and buy all sorts of things willy-nilly, knowing you don't intend to keep them, but if you're buying with the honest intention to determine if this is a product you want then there's nothing wrong with doing this. Again, just return them as you got them. Brick and mortar audio stores have encouraged this exact practice for decades.
Good to know! I never thought of this

Dec 6, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #12,488 of 12,748
In my opinion, the LCD-X 2021 tolerates crossfeed well and thus compensates weaknesses in the depth imaging.
On the “RME Adi-2 dac”, I choose the first crossfeed level “a little” as my basic setting.
In addition, I reduced the stage width to 95% via RME.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #12,490 of 12,748
I really have to recomend a certain album for listening on LCD-X if you are into electronic ambient soundscape stuff. I feel like this album was made for the LCD-X. It really plays on the planar speed and detail retrieval.

Felix Laband - Dark Days Exit
Best on Tidal

Dec 19, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #12,494 of 12,748
I ended up making a new EQ for my LCD-X 2021.

Pre-Amp = -6

25Hz = +1.5 Q 2
Low Shelf 55Hz = +2.5 Q 1.4
Low Shelf 120Hz = +1 Q 1.4
450Hz = +1 Q 3.5
700Hz = -1 Q 3.5
1.1kHz = +1 Q 3.5
1.95kHz = +1 Q 3.5
3.6kHz = +2.5 Q 4
4.1kHz = +1 Q 3
5.6kHz = -2 Q 3
7.2kHz = +1 Q 4
8.2kHz = +1.5 Q 3.5
12.2kHz = -3 Q 3

The sound quality is just spectacular with this EQ on my pair.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #12,495 of 12,748
LCD-X vs ZMF Atticus (considering Subpac bass transducer) for EDM, long post.

So I'm trying to find a pair of headphones to match up with the Subpac X1 that I have pre-ordered. The Subpac is an audiophile grade physical bass replicator. Many producers use it for making EDM allowing them to get a better grip on the bass frequencies and to help replicate that club feel at home to expand on their creativity, but many also use it just for listening to music. Due to Covid i am trying to get that festival experience at home. It's not a 'toy', for example it even has a built in SHARC DSP that you can offload Sonarworks EQ profile processing to. It does accurate bass representation from 1-250hz linearly into your back, much of which travels up into your ear drum. So I'm trying to find a set of headphones that would compliment this well and integrate together nicely. For example, in terms of creating a wholesome experience, I wonder things like would it be better to have more mid-bass impact from headphones like Atticus with less sub-bass and let the Subpac fill in those low frequencies, or would it be better to pair the LCD-X with its linear sub-bass response to match up with the linear sub-bass response of the Subpac, but with a little less mid-bass impact/kick?

This is primarily for EDM listening. I am trying to get close to that 'Funktion One' festival speaker stack sound. I am quite treble sensitive. I am trying to get a sound that is easy to listen to yet still very engaging, and really having that 'tangibility' to the sound like the Funktion One sound system. Where the sounds are like '3d objects' that have a presence in space. Like you can visualise them as distinct things with their own weight and presence. Combine that with the physical bass from the Subpac to really flesh out that tangibility and mixing of the senses.

At the moment I am demo'ing both the ZMF Atticus and pre-2021 LCD-X. I am listening to lossless Tidal through a PC, powered with a SMSL HO200 amp balanced connection. With a solid state ESS Sabre powered DAC. I am testing both with and without EQ. For EQ I am using APO/Peace on windows. I am EQ'ing to Harmon curve with Oratory1990 measurements and then adjusting bass/mid-bass to suit each song. Noting all this testing is without the Subpac as that won't be arriving for a few months.

Atticus:
More comfortable. Less weight
Wider soundstage (this really surprised me, how the soundstage is on the Atticus). It definitely has a more 3d presentation.
Due to wider soundstage, it seems to layer things a bit better(more separate)
Feels like I can play any song without fatigue, yet still has nice detail retrieval
Slight more weight and heft to mid-bass.
In terms of Bass all around I'd rate the sub-bass 4/10. It extends decently, but at a much lower amplitude. It doesn't really have much sub-bass impact whatsoever. Very little sub-bass rumble db. The mid-bass I'd rate 8/10, it has nice impact and heft to it. But honestly not as much as i was expecting. (this is using Ori leather pads). All around the bass has nice detail and texture (but no where near the level of the LCD-X)
It's warmer overall. But i do feel things are a bit too 'rounded' compared to the LCD-X. I feel like, while the Atticus has excellent separation and imaging, it just feels like the edges of notes are a bit too blurred and meld together a bit. The sound's warmness makes it overall feel a bit 'blunt'.
I found myself bobbing my head and tapping my feet a bit more to the Atticus over the LCD-X in more songs.
I feel the Atticus is easier to listen in the background when doing other things compared to the LCD-X.
I think the Atticus would be better for listening to before bed than the LCD-X. Easier to wind down to.

LCD-X:
Incredible sub-bass. Really, just amazing. The texture and extension is extremely satisfying. Only slightly less bloomy then the Atticus.
Oh so slight less impact in the mid-bass. MUCH more impact in the sub-bass.
Very fast transients across the entire frequency response. I was actually impressed with the transient speed on the Atticus being a dynamic driver, but it doesn't hold a candle to the LCD-X here.
I rate the sub-bass impact/rumble 8/10. I rate the mid-bass impact 6/10.
Some songs can get fatiguing on the LCD-X if they aren't mixed well. Where as on the Atticus i found this was almost never the case. This is a bit of a double edged sword however as that is because of how the Atticus blunts the sounds in comparison. It does detract a bit for EDM listening.
LCD-X feels like the soundstage is 'between the ears'. I mean within the ears it has great imaging and separation and layering and positioning. But i honestly prefer the Atticus here. I get much more of a feeling like the sounds are flying around me with the Atticus, which is quite enjoyable.
I found myself getting lost in the songs much more on the LCD-X compared to the Atticus.
I feel the LCD-X kind of demands your attention over the Atticus. Not because its overly forward or harsh or anything though. Maybe more so because of how detailed and sharp everything is combined with the 'in your head' soundstage'?
LCD-X has much more 'electronic' feel to me. Like it translates the nature of EDM on the whole better.

I feel like my 'perfect' would be, LCD-X with the physical weight of the Atticus headphones, the mid-bass impact of the Atticus, and somewhere in-between the two in terms of whatever causes it to fatigue my ears. Also i wouldn't mind stealing a bit of the Atticus sound-stage :) But i don't think such a headphone exists lol.

I think in terms of my goals with the matching to the Subpac, that I feel the LCD-X would be a better option. I just think that matching the linear sub-bass response of both the LCD-Xs and Subpacs would make for something special. I think they would meld nicely. And i also feel that the Subpac's physical impact could fill in the gaps on the LCD-X, knowing that some of that physicality does transfer through your body up to your ear drums. Also i really just love the whole planar sound of the LCD-X. In terms of matching to the 'Funktion One' stack type of sound, the LCD-X gets there in spades in every way except the mid-bass.

From my research, I just don't know if there's any other headphones that would be more suitable for this than the LCD-X. I hope this post is useful for some people who may be on a similar journey to me. And if anyone has any thoughts would love to hear them!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back