Audeze LCD-X
Jul 10, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #12,211 of 12,748
For $100 you can already have headamps with 90% performance of the HPA4, you just miss out on build quality, connectivity, headroom and the SOTA specs, just saying.
Not my experience but to each his own.

Jul 10, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #12,212 of 12,748
For $100 you can already have headamps with 90% performance of the HPA4, you just miss out on build quality, connectivity, headroom and the SOTA specs, just saying.

Oh? Have you actually, you know, heard the HPA4 yourself? 'Cause that sounds like something someone who's never heard the HPA4 would say.

Jul 10, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #12,213 of 12,748
I know it’s a really controversial statement, but the original O2 amp from NwAvGuy inspired a lot of manufacturers and it shows. Here we are in 2021, and we have excellent headamps such as the Atom amp+ for as much as $100.

I’m not trying to badmouth gear of others, the HPA4 is an excellent piece of gear, in fact it is most likely the best SS amp money can buy right now. But what I’m trying to say is you can have very similar levels of self-noise and non-distorting clean gain for a fraction of the price.

Jul 10, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #12,214 of 12,748

I know that (also from pers. experience), so im just asking.

Jul 10, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #12,215 of 12,748
I know it’s a really controversial statement, but the original O2 amp from NwAvGuy inspired a lot of manufacturers and it shows. Here we are in 2021, and we have excellent headamps such as the Atom amp+ for as much as $100.

I’m not trying to badmouth gear of others, the HPA4 is an excellent piece of gear, in fact it is most likely the best SS amp money can buy right now. But what I’m trying to say is you can have very similar levels of self-noise and non-distorting clean gain for a fraction of the price.

Yeah, on test tones played at unity gain and into a testing rig. But that is not necessarily an accurate reflection of how actual music will sound through actual headphones, hence the need to get ears on the gears. No amp I've yet heard sounds 90% as good as the HPA4 when it comes to real-world listening.

Jul 10, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #12,216 of 12,748
Yeah, on test tones played at unity gain and into a testing rig. But that is not necessarily an accurate reflection of how actual music will sound through actual headphones, hence the need to get ears on the gears. No amp I've yet heard sounds 90% as good as the HPA4 when it comes to real-world listening.
That’s what multitone tests are for.

Jul 10, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #12,217 of 12,748
I know that (also from pers. experience), so im just asking.
If you already know then why ask? Just to start an argument? No need to clog up this thread with it. The debate between all amps sound the same and amps sound different is one of the oldest in the book and to argue about it is pointless. Nobody on either side will ever change their mind. Once you've heard the difference, there's no going back and if you believe there is no difference, there's certainly no reason to spend more than the bare minimum.

Jul 11, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #12,219 of 12,748
But what I’m trying to say is you can have very similar levels of self-noise and non-distorting clean gain for a fraction of the price.
Well, that self noise and non distorting clean gain tell so little about sound quality that we, human, hear with our own ears. The accurate decay, speed, separation on complex instrument, the sharp structure of imaging, the natural timbre, and overall the musical feel we perceive.

If a person buy amp based on distortion graph and think that is the real sound quality, I understand if some people think all amps sound similar to each other. Which is, not true by any means.

Jul 11, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #12,220 of 12,748
I've had the LCD-X since March 18th this year. I bought them for personal listening and most importantly for studio use as an audio engineer.

It took me a while to research and experiment with my setup but now I'm done with that.

Paired with the Rupert Neve RNHP, I am seriously in awe every single day. I hadn't heard the X until I plugged into that amplifier. Even though the X is efficient, the headphone amplifiers built into interfaces do not drive them well enough to act as an accurate reference or give much idea of what their potential really is.

I seriously cannot fault the sound of these headphones. There is absolutely nothing I do not like about the sound.

The FR really does seem to match neutrality in my own perception. I just take it literally and make decisions and it translates. As an audio engineer having that type of reference available to me is life changing.

The stereo imaging is incredibly precise and the sound stage is continuous with no gaps like a holographic projection into my brain.

The dynamics are so fast and clean.

The really difficult and precise audio engineering tasks that I have completed to my immense satisfaction with these is the thing that prompted me to write this glowing review post. They have allowed me to move my art forward very rapidly. I find them to be 100% compelling as a listener as well.

Jul 11, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #12,221 of 12,748
Strange question, I know… Anyone find that their LCD-X is picky with sources due to its low impedance?
It performs pretty well on the Audiogd NFB1-amp without exhibiting any kind of noise or fretting at any volume level. I have used it on the Cavalli Monolith Liquid Platimum, as well as the original Liquid Carbon with the same results. Oh, and on the Violectric V281 as well. I am sure it will fare similarly well on my more expensive amps as well. Although there is never any need to crank the volume up too much to make it sing really well.

I have been talking about amp pairings, but I am not sure whether I am translating your concern with "sources" well. Are you asking about how it fares with amps alone, or might you be concerned also with what audiophiles normally call "sources" in the broader sense?

Jul 11, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #12,224 of 12,748
Hey. I’m looking to upgrade to another neutral sounding headphone from my DT 1990. would the 2021 revision of the LCD-X be a good choice? also, would it pair well with my Bifrost 2 and Burson Soloist 3XP?
Except none of those headphones are neutral. DT1990 and LCD-X are basically on the opposite end of the bright/dark spectrum.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #12,225 of 12,748
Except none of those headphones are neutral. DT1990 and LCD-X are basically on the opposite end of the bright/dark spectrum.
Well, that is debatable. I would say the DT1990 is on the bright side of neutral and the LCD-X is on the dark/warm side of neutral. But both are pretty neutral compared to most conventionally tuned consumer headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back