Audeze LCD-X
Apr 11, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #10,876 of 12,748
The newer LCD 4 and 4z both have the updated leather strap on 5he carbon headband. I like my 4z much more than my LCD x. I think the 4z has a bit better treble than the LCD 4 too.

I meant if I were to buy the Carbon band alone from Audeze to swap onto my X. The image appears to not be the same with the padding on the 2C & X (perforated)

Apr 11, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #10,877 of 12,748
I meant if I were to buy the Carbon band alone from Audeze to swap onto my X. The image appears to not be the same with the padding on the 2C & X (perforated)

The photo is just an old photo. I purchase the cf headband for my LCD x I can take a photo when i get home.

Apr 11, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #10,878 of 12,748
I wanted to buy the 4Z as I really liked how it looked as well but picked up the X in the end due to B stock sale =\
I absolutely love the look of the 4Z, I think those are probably the most appealing headphones I have ever seen. I find it appealing and beautiful in its retro colours.

After comparing the LCD4 and the Empyrean though I think my 'end-game preference' has changed. The LCD4 is better than my preferred LCD2C.
I prefer the LCD2C to all other LCDs I have tried a lot of other headphones as well like the Focal Clears.

To my ears the Empyrean destroyed the LCD4 in every possible way. My current endgame headphones would be the Empyrean if I could afford them.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #10,879 of 12,748
I absolutely love the look of the 4Z, I think those are probably the most appealing headphones I have ever seen. I find it appealing and beautiful in its retro colours.

After comparing the LCD4 and the Empyrean though I think my 'end-game preference' has changed. The LCD4 is better than my preferred LCD2C.
I prefer the LCD2C to all othe LCDs I have tried and to a lot of other headphones as well like the Focal Clears for example.

To my ears the Empyrean destroyed and humiliated the LCD4 in every possible way. My current endgame headphones would be the Empyrean if I could afford them.

What was powering the LCD 4 when y ok u listened? I have the 4z which is a lot less power hungry. I have listened to both the empyrean and 4z back to back out of a hugo tt2 and mscaler. I found that they are both great sounding but that the 4z had a bit more in the mids and the bass was much better. The empyrean is more comfortable for sure. In the end I think that it is a sound preference choice. If the LCD 4 non z is not powered properly though they don't sound as good as they are capable of.

Apr 11, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #10,880 of 12,748
What was powering the LCD 4 when y ok u listened? I have the 4z which is a lot less power hungry. I have listened to both the empyrean and 4z back to back out of a hugo tt2 and mscaler. I found that they are both great sounding but that the 4z had a bit more in the mids and the bass was much better. The empyrean is more comfortable for sure. In the end I think that it is a sound preference choice. If the LCD 4 non z is not powered properly though they don't sound as good as they are capable of.
I used the TT2 with MScaler.
The LCD4 was great and pleasant but the Empyrean was just so much better in every way.
I wish I had heard the LCD4Z too to have a reference but I didn't.

Apr 11, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #10,882 of 12,748
“It's always interesting to me that we all hear music differently. It's an awesome experience to hear what other people hear.” Tommy Lee

Apr 11, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #10,883 of 12,748

I prefer the LCD2C to all othe LCDs I have tried and to a lot of other headphones as well like the Focal Clears for example.

To my ears the Empyrean destroyed and humiliated the LCD4 in every possible way. My current endgame headphones would be the Empyrean if I could afford them.

I like the Empyrean look a lot too LOL

The pads also look really comfy

However it seems like there are some who find the Ether 2 just as competent and abt 30% cheaper too

Apr 11, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #10,884 of 12,748
I like the Empyrean look a lot too LOL

The pads also look really comfy

However it seems like there are some who find the Ether 2 just as competent and abt 30% cheaper too
I haven't heard the E2. They might be great, I don't know.
All I know is the AFO and AFC were a disappointment to me. Kinda makes me cautious of the E2 even though it seems promising.

I couldn't get on the ZMF hype train either. Great hps but I need planar bass quality.

I didn't want to like the Empyrean (I don't like the 99 Meze) but they just do everything so freaking perfect. I can't find a single fault with them.
To me LCD4 and Empyrean was no contest.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #10,885 of 12,748
All I know is the AFO and AFC were huge disappointment to me. Kinda makes me cautious of the E2 even though it seems promising.

I couldn't get on the ZMF hype train either. Great hps but I need planar bass quality.

I didn't want to like the Empyrean (I don't like the 99 Meze) but they just do everything so f*cking perfect. I can't find a single fault with them.
To me LCD4 and Empyrean was no contest at all.

Hahaha I like tone of Aeon Flow quite abit

Tried the closed but they did come across boring after awhile despite getting tonality right (for me at least) and they were so comfy on the head

Apr 12, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #10,886 of 12,748
All I know is the AFO and AFC were huge disappointment to me. Kinda makes me cautious of the E2 even though it seems promising.

I didn't want to like the Empyrean (I don't like the 99 Meze) but they just do everything so f*cking perfect. I can't find a single fault with them.
To me LCD4 and Empyrean was no contest at all.
I dare say you do not like the Audeze sound at all. By the very fact that your favorite LCD are the 2C's, which are probably the least capable LCD's says that you probably don't enjoy the sound very much and you might prefer many other headphones to the 4.

I did get to hear both the 4 and the Emp. While I think the Meze is a great fun sounding HP and reasonably accurate. I think the the 4 is a more accurate HP if comparing the sounds to real instruments. The 4 is just a subtle type of accuracy as opposed to a Utopia type of in your face accuracy. The Emp has good but slightly hyped midbass. but the bass on the 4 is the best bast i heard at can jam and I heard pretty much all the major players.

Apr 12, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #10,887 of 12,748
I dare say you do not like the Audeze sound at all. By the very fact that your favorite LCD are the 2C's, which are probably the least capable LCD's says that you probably don't enjoy the sound very much and you might prefer many other headphones to the 4.

I did get to hear both the 4 and the Emp. While I think the Meze is a great fun sounding HP and reasonably accurate. I think the the 4 is a more accurate HP if comparing the sounds to real instruments. The 4 is just a subtle type of accuracy as opposed to a Utopia type of in your face accuracy. The Emp has good but slightly hyped midbass. but the bass on the 4 is the best bast i heard at can jam and I heard pretty much all the major players.

Yeah. I also never get this. I compared lcd4z, empyrean, d8000, and ether 2. The lcd4 is just significantly better than the Empyrean. No contest. Empyrean's scopped out mids were off to me.

Apr 12, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #10,888 of 12,748

LCD4 might be technically a bit better, but I enjoyed the Empyrean more. Mind though, it was only a brief audition.

I like the LCD2C, LCD2f, LCD4. Yet to hear the X or 4Z which I am very interested in.

Apr 12, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #10,890 of 12,748
So r u back to your LCD 2C? No more HEX V2?
I let the HEXV2 go. Nice, spacious and natural sound but just can't replace Audeze bass. Also found it too smooth and diffuse after a while. The 2C has smaller soundstage but a more focused and tighter sound which I prefer with my music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back