Audeze LCD-X
Sep 20, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #10,501 of 12,748
I have to google that but I think the result is an EQ profile that can be imported in both applications. So instead of the default average profiles you just get a personal profile for your individual headphone to select. My issue with Reference 4 is that it struck me as gimmicky and not holding its value. The plug-ins, insofar as having the EQ work with the music players some of you may be using, could be worthwhile, but my impression is that's just a compatibility matter and doesn't make a quality difference. I don't use such a program so haven't tested.

Sep 21, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #10,503 of 12,748
Do you understand the primary cause of digital EQ causing distortion?

Reducing the output gain ('diminishing the EQ') is a potential solution to the distortion @Dan Lee mentioned. Let's say that the Sonarworks correction is increasing the bass by 6db, then you need to reduce the output gain by at least that amount. Anything over 0db output will distort, AFAIK. I can't recall if True-Fi allows you to manually adjust the output gain, but Ref 4 does. That means Ref 4 can potentially resolve this issue if True-Fi can't.

There have been many posts recently when you seem to fly in and try to shut people down, or tell them directly that they're wrong, despite you seemingly misunderstanding their post or the point they've tried to make. I fully anticipate this to go the same way, but the above clarification might at least be useful to someone else, so I'll post it regardless.

Your output gain can be controlled by windows volume and same goes with ref.4.

This is basic practice when calibrating speakers/headphones. The question becomes what your headphones/speakers can handle and when your system starts to clip. Just because you lower the output doesn’t mean the calibration is turned down, when you lower your output, you lower it for all frequencies not just the ones you boosted, so the result could be -6db overall and certain frequencies are now at -2db for instance.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #10,504 of 12,748
Your output gain can be controlled by windows volume

I wouldn't because windows drops bits to lower the volume. If Sonarworks upsamples before corretion this would not be the case.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #10,505 of 12,748
Your output gain can be controlled by windows volume and same goes with ref.4.

This is basic practice when calibrating speakers/headphones. The question becomes what your headphones/speakers can handle and when your system starts to clip. Just because you lower the output doesn’t mean the calibration is turned down, when you lower your output, you lower it for all frequencies not just the ones you boosted, so the result could be -6db overall and certain frequencies are now at -2db for instance.
Bingo! So keeping it under 0db will avoid clipping.

The more aggressive the correction from sonarworks, the more you'll need to reduce the gain to avoid that 0db crossover. Some people have reported distortion with True-Fi, even when letting the app attenuate the gain, which could easily be a software issue. It's not a stretch to imagine that the attenuation isn't reducing the gain enough in some cases. That's where having manual control could be useful. Though it's entirely possible that there's any other number of potential things causing said distortion.

Sep 21, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #10,507 of 12,748
Nope, you can lower it beyond that. As per my previous image, it's already lower than the max correction. In the screenshot, it's at -6.6db which was set by me manually. It was previously -8, but I brought it up as that was unneeded.

Sep 21, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #10,509 of 12,748
It's not automated and you're not limited either way, regardless of semantics.

Sep 21, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #10,511 of 12,748
So I haven't actually heard any distortion with my X's, but I did read about some people who experienced it. So it's probably worth noting that you need to reduce the output gain quite a bit to avoid any distortion.

If you're using True-Fi it might be a little trickier, as I can only remember there being a toggle to reduce gain.

If you're using Reference 4 however, as you can see below, you can modify the gain manually. Even at 75% wet with the LCD-X the correction is upwards of 5db at 3khz and 10hz. As such, the safe headroom knocks it down by 6.6db which is a nice little buffer.

Hope that helps, I'm very satisfied with Ref 4 so far.
Thanks for this now that you mentioned it I remember people talking about lowering the gain anytime you use eq to assist with distortion removal. I really like the complexity of the the ref 4 image you posted. I may need to run that one as it appears to have quite a few more options and provides the user with a great deal more control which is what I would like.

Sep 21, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #10,512 of 12,748
I love the X, I'm hooked on the orthos, I will be on the hunt for 4z someday:beerchug:
Agreed 100% I really want to hear the 4s and also want to hear the utopias, but i just have a feeling that even though I will be able to tell how good the utopias are from all comparisons I have read I feel my personal taste would just find the LCD-4 to be closer to end game for me. Also wanna try stax at some point but from what I understand they are all for the most part bass anemic and though I have never considered myself a bass head I do like to at least feel it on the level of the X which provides incredibly accurate bass response and can shake and rumble a bit when the music calls for it.

Sep 21, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #10,513 of 12,748
Ok so I know I said I prolly wouldnt try ref 4 but after reading some of your comments I have made the grave mistake of trying it and I gotta say there is no reason to get the standard version if ref 4 is only $20 more. Having the ability to adjust the db floor and tweak other settings is priceless as I have been listening with the bass boosted and slight increase in treble and I have the volume at a ridiculous level and I have heard 0 distortion and the bass is hitting with genuine impact in a way the Xs never have I mean this crap is absolutely incredible and now I feel like I gotta buy it dammit. This litteraly the first eq I have ever heard that did not induce an intolerable amount of distortion to my ears. Thanks for the tip @thebkt

Sep 21, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #10,514 of 12,748
You guys. Bass boost is present in True-Fi and unlike in Reference 4 you can actually boost the treble alone. In Reference 4 you can boost the treble only by tilting the whole frequency response. You eliminate distortion by lowering the volume by the highest value of the EQ. Reference 4 caps the manual adjustment at that value, meaning it provides no further lowering than True-Fi. Manually going under that value means there is distortion. If you had never tried Reference 4 of course by looking at that image you might think there is a lot more to it. The fact is there isn't much, and for whatever reason a bunch of you keep claiming false or nonsensical things. Just setting the record straight. If you find something worthwhile about Reference 4 fair enough, but be factually accurate in what that is. Finding value in reducing the EQ effect through dry/wet and having a plug-in for certain programs are the only conceivable reasons. One thing you shouldn't be doing is spouting complete nonsense. It seems that Dan Lee never noticed three exceedingly simple things about True-Fi (bass boost, treble boost, lower volume to avoid clipping), one that is ironically exclusive to it in boosting treble without affecting the rest of the frequency range.

The problem with Reference 4 is exactly that it doesn't provide more meaningful control. You can't just look at an image to determine that.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #10,515 of 12,748
I love the X, I'm hooked on the orthos, I will be on the hunt for 4z someday:beerchug:
Excellent choice my friend... 4z surely does not disappoint. These phones have now achieved sonic bliss. I am just enthralled each and every time I don these headphones for a listen.
Darn things kept me up until after 0200 this morning I just could not stop listening. No EQ no nothing just Hugo 2, GLMk2, and 4z. It is humbling to be able to enjoy such sound quality.
Truly where I always wanted my journey to ultimate headphone musical rendition to end up at. What more could be said? :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back