Audeze LCD-X
Sep 16, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #10,441 of 12,748
Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #10,442 of 12,748
Hmmm may be waiting for a while. Prolly should pick up the X, call it good.
Cheers!
"Maybe the LCD-4Z will be my end game... but I won't buy them until they drop in price. Probably will be a while but I'll be watching for Black Friday sales."

Ya, this is not going to happen for years.:wink:

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #10,443 of 12,748
Maybe using "obsolete" here is not a good way of describing what I am concerned about, but I think @devante1977 got what I meant.

I am just concerned that maybe as soon as I buy one now, a new model come out and my resale value drop $300-$500 instantly :D. Since you know, it has been out 5 year and it is not unreasonable to think a new update might be coming out any time.

Unless you have inside info, you or anybody won't know if and when they come out with a revision.

If it matters, I went in blind...meaning, I never tested the pair I have now...only did reading. I bought them used. The OG ones, not B stock or creator edition. They were manufactured in May 2017 (btw I asked Audeze via email by giving them the serial number and asking if their has been any driver revisions and does that one in particular outdated...they said no)

Hell, I went from AKG 7XX to these with nothing but words on the internet. I am treating these as end game open backs at this price point (I mean...I'm not going to get improvement over what I like unless I make the jump to say the 4z and you already know the difference in price there.

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #10,444 of 12,748
Man stop worrying about nonsense like this. Being able to acquire LCD-X for $899 is a screaming bargain. BUY THE DAMNED THINGS, PLUG IN AND ENJOY. Pat yourself on the back for saving $1k.
I paid $1800 for mine several years ago. They were worth every penny. Being able to pick up a pair at this saving, well that is just tits. IF I was upgrading at this point, I would jump all over this RIGHT NOW and never look back.
Just Do It for cryin' out loud...

You are in the wrong hobby for the wrong reasons if worried about resale value of some headphones.
Well said. I had stronger language in mind such as.... Thanks for pre-empting me.

Sep 16, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #10,445 of 12,748
Well said. I had stronger language in mind such as.... Thanks for pre-empting me.

Wonder what that stronger language might be :triportsad:

Man stop worrying about nonsense like this. Being able to acquire LCD-X for $899 is a screaming bargain. BUY THE DAMNED THINGS, PLUG IN AND ENJOY. Pat yourself on the back for saving $1k.
I paid $1800 for mine several years ago. They were worth every penny. Being able to pick up a pair at this saving, well that is just tits. IF I was upgrading at this point, I would jump all over this RIGHT NOW and never look back.
Just Do It for cryin' out loud...

You are in the wrong hobby for the wrong reasons if worried about resale value of some headphones.

Okay, okay, bud. I will confess, my problem is not exactly the resale value although that could constitute a valid reason for a lot of folks here I believe.

My issue is I am a new-tech kinda guy. I know new doesn't always means better but given the same/similar price point, I will always go for the newer tech. Of course I will read some reviews to ensure the new stuff does make sense to me.

Examples:

1. I was looking to buy a DAP not long ago, was interested in A&K Kann, but end up getting the newly released A&Futura SE100.
2. I was looking to buy an IEM not long ago, was interested in Campfire Andromeda, but end up getting the newly released Atlas.

I am still happy with my purchases :darthsmile:. It might not be the most rational choices, but hey it is a hobby right? So who's gonna judge?!?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #10,446 of 12,748
The way I look at it is I attempt to ferret out the absolute best quality and most relevant stuff to achieve closest to the SQ I am looking for; with the best cost-to-performance I can buy with my relatively limited funds.
That means that I may not (will not) be able to get the absolute best of the best, but that whatever I buy will provide the best value for the longest amount of time possible. I could give a rats ass if it happens to be
the latest thing offered in the last 5 minutes or not. And very good probability is that it WILL NOT BE THE LATEST AND GREATEST. Because that is not on my radar at all. I only care about best SQ, best value per
dollar spent, and best longevity of service. I am absolutely thrilled that my X are still going strong these years after I purchased them. Looking back at thousands of hours of listening enjoyment, these headphones have
been a great part of my life and I have gotten a huge amount of derived and perceived value from that purchase. They will still be relevant 5 years from now as they were when I bot them. And THAT is the defining mark
of great audio gear IMHO. NOT if it happens to be the unproven up-to-the-minute latest and greatest etc.

Whatever anyone else wants to do with their money, that is none of my business. After all it is those who must have the absolute latest and greatest that feed the machine right? Good on ya. Go get it mate.
It's all good...

Sep 16, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #10,447 of 12,748
Unless you have inside info, you or anybody won't know if and when they come out with a revision.

If it matters, I went in blind...meaning, I never tested the pair I have now...only did reading. I bought them used. The OG ones, not B stock or creator edition. They were manufactured in May 2017 (btw I asked Audeze via email by giving them the serial number and asking if their has been any driver revisions and does that one in particular outdated...they said no)

Hell, I went from AKG 7XX to these with nothing but words on the internet. I am treating these as end game open backs at this price point (I mean...I'm not going to get improvement over what I like unless I make the jump to say the 4z and you already know the difference in price there.

We are in a very similar track then, I also recently got a AKG 7XX and enjoying it! I ordered a Schii Magni 3 (being a newer-tech is what draw me to it :beyersmile:, would probably have gotten a Mjolnir if version 3 is out) to see if it can drive the AKG 7XX to a better sounding.

I also got my audio gear sight unseen as well, therefore got to do quite some internet research before I pull the trigger.

My primary use of my audio gear is office and on the move, therefore the DAP+IEM is a higher priority for me and I am settled on that for the near future. Will be taking some time to get my end-game-for-now (EGFN) open-back.

Sep 16, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #10,448 of 12,748
My issue is I am a new-tech kinda guy. I know new doesn't always means better but given the same/similar price point, I will always go for the newer tech. Of course I will read some reviews to ensure the new stuff does make sense to me.

Newer tech with speakers/HPs is a slowly evolving thing.

As an example I present the Klipsch Cornwall, The Klipsch Cornwall was designed in 1959, and evolving since, but not much.
It's 2018 and they are on the third version, and they are $2200 a piece for the Cornwall III.
Really they haven't changed much, an old pair would sound about the same, and could be updated much cheaper.
https://www.klipsch.com/cornwall-history

The same goes for the X on a smaller time scale.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #10,449 of 12,748
Newer tech with speakers/HPs is a slowly evolving thing.

As an example I present the Klipsch Cornwall, The Klipsch Cornwall was designed in 1959, and evolving since, but not much.
It's 2018 and they are on the third version, and they are $2200 a piece for the Cornwall III.
Really they haven't changed much, an old pair world sound about the same, and could be updated much cheaper.
https://www.klipsch.com/cornwall-history

The same goes for the X on a smaller time scale.
And the latest isn't always the greatest. i.e. The original LCD-4 was a major problem when they came out. New thinner drivers and tech. It had to be reworked with a 200-ohm driver. But, you have your place among those who help push technology forward, while I wait to find out how cold the water is before diving in. Right, your money, your business. But, I don't think you'll regret the X. I've had mine for five and a half years with no problems.

Sep 16, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #10,450 of 12,748
Thanks all for replying to my previous questions/replies in the thread!

Now risking being kicked out of here :ksc75smile:, knowing this is a LCD-X thread, I wonder if anybody has experienced both the LCD-X and Hifiman Edition X (v2) and what do you think about how they compare?

I personally just found out about the Hifiman Edition X (HEX) today, seems to be a direct competitor with the LCD-X, about the same price point, very similar in sensitivity and impedance, and both have 'X' in their names.

Sep 16, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #10,451 of 12,748
I'm a Audeze fanboy, being a US company.
Sure others have heard both.

Sep 16, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #10,452 of 12,748
Thanks all for replying to my previous questions/replies in the thread!

Now risking being kicked out of here :ksc75smile:, knowing this is a LCD-X thread, I wonder if anybody has experienced both the LCD-X and Hifiman Edition X (v2) and what do you think about how they compare?

I personally just found out about the Hifiman Edition X (HEX) today, seems to be a direct competitor with the LCD-X, about the same price point, very similar in sensitivity and impedance, and both have 'X' in their names.

i do not think you're going to find this too helpful.. However, I had both (LCD-X and HFM Edition X v2), and a time came when I thought I needed some quick cash, and I let the Edition X V2 go, not necessarily because I thought it was inferior in performance to the LCD-X (although I think the LCD-X has the sturdier and stronger build, cosmetically speaking, however, some people might find the LCD-X to be the less comfortable of the two, because of its weight... Personally, though, the weight of the LCD-X has never bothered me at all)... It just so happens that i was habitually listening a lot more to the LCD-X, than to the Edition XV2, without having ever done a head to head comparison, and without having formally declared a preference for one over the other...

To be fair, I had somewhat gotten used to thinking of the Edition XV2 simply as a "Baby" or "Lite"-He-1000, which I also happen to have in my stable. "Baby" or "lite" in this particular instance, also meant "redundant" as I did not often see why I should listen to the Edition XV2, when the He-1000 seems to do everything better. The advantage of the LCD-X is that it comes with a unique Sound-signature that none of my other cans can replicate, so it stayed put... It also helps that I genuinely enjoy the sound of the LCD-X a lot...

This does not sound like an "A" is definitely better than "B" type of comparison, but I have done my best to provide you with the contextual conditions that determined the choices I have made... Your mileage, may of course vary...

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #10,453 of 12,748
I'm a Audeze fanboy, being a US company.
Sure others have heard both.

I definitely also prefer US company, recently bought Campfire Atlas and Schiit Magni 3 and planning to get a Mjolnir at some point. Which is also why I have looked into Audeze products a lot. If Audeze come up with a new open-back update in the sub $2000 range, I will no doubt get it :).

I am usually going for the latest, but not necessary greatest since those will be in $5000 price range ( not to mention those ones costing multiple $10K ) and maybe not a lot of return for me.

My plan is to find one or two really good sub $2000 open-back, starting with a planar that's not too hard to drive, be content with it and just listen.

Sep 16, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #10,454 of 12,748
i do not think you're going to find this too helpful.. However, I had both (LCD-X and HFM Edition X v2), and a time came when I thought I needed some quick cash, and I let the Edition X V2 go, not necessarily because I thought it was inferior in performance to the LCD-X (although I think the LCD-X has the sturdier and stronger build, cosmetically speaking, however, some people might find the LCD-X to be less comfortable of the two, because of its weight... The weight of the LCD-X has never bothered me at all)... It just so happens that i was habitually listening a lot more to the LCD-X, than to the Edition XV2, without having ever done a head to head comparison, and without having formally declared a preference for one over the other...

To be fair, I had somewhat gotten used to thinking of the Edition XV2 simply as a "Baby" or "Lite"-He-1000, which I also happen to have in my cables. "Baby" or "lite" in this particular instance, also meant "redundant" as I did not often see why I should listen to the Edition XV2, when the He-1000 seems to do everything better. The advantage of the LCD-X is that it comes with a unique Sound-signature that none of my other cans can replicate, so it stayed put... It also helps that I genuinely enjoy the sound of the LCD-X a lot...

This does not sound like an "A" is definitely better "B" type of comparison, but I have done my best to provide you with the contextual conditions that determined the choices I have made... Your mileage, may of course vary...

Thanks @sahmen for the experience sharing! Makes a lot sense, if one has LCD-X, HEX and HEK, HEX then become redundant. Hmm, maybe I can take a good look at LCD-MX4 since that is a mix of LCD-X and LCD-4, a recent update, and light weight...

Sep 16, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #10,455 of 12,748
If I was considering the MX4 I'd be going all the way to the 4z!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back