Audeze LCD-X
Sep 16, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #10,426 of 12,748
To me, really great cans never get "obsolete...," if one is referring to their SQ or sonic performance. New sets of cans are coming out all the time... and there are always "new toy syndrome" hypes, the industry depends on that, but rarely does "new" represent real qualitative progress in SQ, and worse, "progress" which necessarily disqualifies previous Sound signatures as "obsolete."...It would be total madness to think that newer or more expensive always mean better... They simply don't...You only have to think of all the "new" cans that have been released in the last 3 years (within the range of mid-fi to hi-end cans). Many are initially announced as if they're potential world-beaters, only to lose their luster and oomphh, after a few months, when other new toys appear on the scene, sometimes within the same brand... The evolution of "greatness" in cans and sq does not follow a logic of linear progression... Nor is there a necessary co-relation between price, performance, and quality once you go beyond the $1000 mark.... After that mark, things are mostly driven by hype, and the willingness of consumers to drink the cool-aid, and pay for the hype... If in doubt, let's take a vote for the best-sounding pair of cans currently on the market, and just see the number and variety of responses you'll get...

I have the Sennheiser HD800, but it has never stopped me from enjoying the HD 650 OR the HD600... I've always found the hifiman he-500 to be an excellent pair of cans... Getting the He1000 has not suddenly turned the He-500 into a poor pair of cans... I also like the LCD-X, and there are times when, that headphone is all I want to listen to, aa if the others don't exit...

I really don't understand how the signatures I enjoy in these cans will become "obsolete," although I certainly enjoy some of them more than others, depending on the time, the context, and type of music I am listening to. Come to think of it, I probably do not understand how the word "obsolete" applies here. How does a sound signature or flavor become "obsolete"? What does that even mean?

Okay, place "IMHO," and "YMMV," in all the appropriate places... These are meant as personal opinions.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #10,427 of 12,748
I get your concern...but at this rate, you will never end up with them. You can have the problem of buying them and then selling them to recoup the cost of buying the updated version (if that happens)...or you can not have them and always wonder.

I just don't have feel of where the LCD-X is going, seems like now the creator package is a good price though ($1199)

One of the recent updated from Audeze to the LCD line was LCD-MX4. From the spec number on Audeze.com, seems the only difference is Diaphragm type, for LCD-X is Ultra-thin, for LCD-MX4, it is Ultra-thin Uniforce™, not quite sure about the difference and other numbers seem to be identical and their looks seems to be the same as well, and the MX4 is $2995.

So the LCD-MX4 would look like a update to LCD-X but it is also a lot more expensive though. Price inflation maybe?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #10,428 of 12,748
To me, really great cans never get "obsolete...," if one is referring to their SQ performance. New sets of cans are coming out all the time... and there is always "new toy syndrome" hypes, the industry depends on that, but rarely does "new" represent real qualitative progress in SQ, and worse "progress" which disqualifies previous Sound signatures as "obsolete."...It would be total madness to think that newer or more expensive always mean better... They simply don't...You only have to think of all the "new" cans that have been released in the last 3 years (within the range of mid-fi to hi-end cans). Many are initially announced as if they're potential world-beaters, only to lose their luster and oomphh, after a few months, when other new toys appear on the scene, sometimes within the same brand... The evolution of "greatness" in cans and sq does not follow a logic of linear progression... Nor is there a necessary co-relation between price, performance, and quality once you go beyond the $1000 mark.... After that mark, things are mostly driven by hype, and the willingness of consumers to drink the cool-aid, and pay for the hype... If in doubt, let's take a vote for the best-sounding pair of cans currently on the market, and just see the number of responses you'll get,,

I have the Sennheiser HD800, but it has never stopped me from enjoying the HD 650 OR the HD600... I've always found the hifiman he-500 to be an excellent pair of cans... Getting the He1000 has not suddenly turned the He-500 into a poor pair of cans... I also like the LCD-X, and there are times when, that it is all I want to listen to...

I really don't understand how the signatures I enjoy in these cans will become "obsolete," although I certainly enjoy some of them more than others, depending on the time, the context, and type of music I am listening to. Come to think of it, I probably do not understand how the word "obsolete" applies here. How does a sound signature or flavor become "obsolete"? What does that even mean?

Okay, place "IMHO," and "YMMV," in all the appropriate places... These are meant as personal opinions.

Maybe using "obsolete" here is not a good way of describing what I am concerned about, but I think @devante1977 got what I meant.

I am just concerned that maybe as soon as I buy one now, a new model come out and my resale value drop $300-$500 instantly :D. Since you know, it has been out 5 year and it is not unreasonable to think a new update might be coming out any time.

Sep 16, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #10,429 of 12,748
But Yggy is only 3 years old right?

The new update is less than 1 year, it's sorta an inside joke/marketing:wink:

You wont regret the X:L3000:

So the LCD-MX4 would look like a update to LCD-X but it is also a lot more expensive though. Price inflation maybe?

They have to recoup development cost somehow, hence the drop from 1700 to 1200 in the X, I paid 999.

Edit: There's always something better, you will always lose money on new gear.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #10,430 of 12,748
The LCD-X can be bought new for $899 (B-stock) to $1199 (Creator Kit), or even less used. Remember they used to be $1699. So it's a great time to buy them. When Audeze updates the LCD-X it will probably be $1700+ and any improvements will likely be minimal.

The LCD-MX4 seems to be a different model rather than a revision. The lower weight and metal rather than foam in the back are nice features but it was much more expensive and based on what I read, the LCD-X may be as good if not a better choice for my listening preferences.

Maybe the LCD-4Z will be my end game... but I won't buy them until they drop in price. Probably will be a while but I'll be watching for Black Friday sales.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #10,431 of 12,748
I'm sure the LCD-4Z are incredible and maybe I'll upgrade to them at some point, but I'll wait until they drop in price.

Ahh Ya :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #10,432 of 12,748
The X wont be obsolete for a long time, or until they make a big leap with drivers. Its sound is phenomenal, especially at the prices they go for nowadays. Even having the 4z now, i miss it :) was a great companion for the last years, moreso than any other of the cans i had.

Sep 16, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #10,433 of 12,748
I am so loving mine tonight:L3000:

Sep 16, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #10,434 of 12,748
To me, really great cans never get "obsolete...," if one is referring to their SQ performance. New sets of cans are coming out all the time... and there is always "new toy syndrome" hypes, the industry depends on that, but rarely does "new" represent real qualitative progress in SQ, and worse "progress" which disqualifies previous Sound signatures as "obsolete."...It would be total madness to think that newer or more expensive always mean better... They simply don't...You only have to think of all the "new" cans that have been released in the last 3 years (within the range of mid-fi to hi-end cans). Many are initially announced as if they're potential world-beaters, only to lose their luster and oomphh, after a few months, when other new toys appear on the scene, sometimes within the same brand... The evolution of "greatness" in cans and sq does not follow a logic of linear progression... Nor is there a necessary co-relation between price, performance, and quality once you go beyond the $1000 mark.... After that mark, things are mostly driven by hype, and the willingness of consumers to drink the cool-aid, and pay for the hype... If in doubt, let's take a vote for the best-sounding pair of cans currently on the market, and just see the number of responses you'll get,,

I have the Sennheiser HD800, but it has never stopped me from enjoying the HD 650 OR the HD600... I've always found the hifiman he-500 to be an excellent pair of cans... Getting the He1000 has not suddenly turned the He-500 into a poor pair of cans... I also like the LCD-X, and there are times when, that it is all I want to listen to...

Well said. Should be a sticky right up front on the website.

Sep 16, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #10,435 of 12,748
The X wont be obsolete for a long time, or until they make a big leap with drivers. Its sound is phenomenal, especially at the prices they go for nowadays. Even having the 4z now, i miss it :) was a great companion for the last years, moreso than any other of the cans i had.

I kept mine! :L3000: :beerchug: :ksc75smile:

Sep 16, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #10,436 of 12,748
Maybe using "obsolete" here is not a good way of describing what I am concerned about, but I think @devante1977 got what I meant.

I am just concerned that maybe as soon as I buy one now, a new model come out and my resale value drop $300-$500 instantly :D. Since you know, it has been out 5 year and it is not unreasonable to think a new update might be coming out any time.

Man stop worrying about nonsense like this. Being able to acquire LCD-X for $899 is a screaming bargain. BUY THE DAMNED THINGS, PLUG IN AND ENJOY. Pat yourself on the back for saving $1k.
I paid $1800 for mine several years ago. They were worth every penny. Being able to pick up a pair at this saving, well that is just tits. IF I was upgrading at this point, I would jump all over this RIGHT NOW and never look back.
Just Do It for cryin' out loud...

You are in the wrong hobby for the wrong reasons if worried about resale value of some headphones.

Sep 16, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #10,437 of 12,748
The HD 600/650 will never be obsolete, neither will the X. I'd bet it's the most popular LCD, right in the middle.
You get great drivers/design, and they save some cash on the rest.

They are are a Hifi best buy IMO

Sep 16, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #10,439 of 12,748
The LCD-X can be bought new for $899 (B-stock) to $1199 (Creator Kit), or even less used. Remember they used to be $1699. So it's a great time to buy them. When Audeze updates the LCD-X it will probably be $1700+ and any improvements will likely be minimal.

The LCD-MX4 seems to be a different model rather than a revision. The lower weight and metal rather than foam in the back are nice features but it was much more expensive and based on what I read, the LCD-X may be as good if not a better choice for my listening preferences.

Maybe the LCD-4Z will be my end game... but I won't buy them until they drop in price. Probably will be a while but I'll be watching for Black Friday sales.

Hmmm may be waiting for a while. Prolly should pick up the X, call it good.
Cheers!

Sep 16, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #10,440 of 12,748
@Dinrog what the heck is that thing in your avatar?
A hippo of course :grin:
I wanted to condense the amount of cans i had, so i kept the HEKV1 to compliment it :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back