Audeze LCD-X
Sep 11, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #10,381 of 12,748
So I just bought some 'B-Stock" LCD-X from Moon Audio, they'll be here day after tomorrow. Seemed like a deal at $899 delivered so hopefully I won't regret spending the extra $300 for the new retail 'Creator Package'. These should be huge upgrade over the Shure SRH840 phones I've had for many years. For the money I thought they were quite good but they have seen rare use since I got the JH13Pro IEMs may years ago.

I believe these 'B-Stock' Audeze will have the new headband, memory foam ear cups, and braided cable. I'll pick up another cable (Moon Black Dragon v2, maybe Norne Solv or Draug2) but want to get used to the LCD-X with the factory wire first, which will also give me time to pick the appropriate connector should I change amps. I have a Corda Symphony DAC/amp which I'm hoping will work okay with the Audeze - it accepts the factory cable 1/4 plug. It's obviously long discontinued, based on its age I assume there are much better options out there now. So, what DAC/amp combos others have found that work great with the LCD-X ? My budget is fairly flexible, I'd consider anything from the Micca OriGen, Audeze Deckard to Questyle CMA800R. Maybe the Topping DX7S ? Seems like the LCD-X should be fairly easy to drive based on their specs.

Source will be digital files stored on a MacBook Pro via USB. I use an Aurender N10 in my big rig so will give that a try too.
Well, it might be commonplace. But my Hugo2 does a great job with the X. I've also used them with the Questyle QP1R with good results. I know the CMA800R was designed to supposedly complement the HD800. But, if it's equivolant to the QP DAP in its current mode sound, it could be your best bet.
@MattTCG and @project86 are familiar with the Questyles as well as other amps. Maybe they'll see this post and drop in with an opinion for you.

Sep 11, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #10,382 of 12,748
I haven’t really used many other AMP/DACs as this was my first real ‘high end’ headphones & dac/amp.

The Lyr 3 is great, however when on high gain which I’m often @ around 12 o’ clock.

I do use True-Fi from sonarworks aswell. I used their feature ‘lower volume’ as they boost frequencies, therefore I don’t clip the signal.

Sep 11, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #10,383 of 12,748
I haven’t really used many other AMP/DACs as this was my first real ‘high end’ headphones & dac/amp.

The Lyr 3 is great, however when on high gain which I’m often @ around 12 o’ clock.

I do use True-Fi from sonarworks aswell. I used their feature ‘lower volume’ as they boost frequencies, therefore I don’t clip the signal.

Sounds similar to my story, I use Sonarworks Ref 4 HP, that or True-fi is a must for the X, IMO.
The adjustable "safe headroom" feature is my next favorite to the correction feature of Ref 4.
The bass adjustment and tilt is intresting as well.

12 o'clock is probably the sweet spot on an amp, I only use high gain on the Jot.

Though billed as a very easy to drive headphone, the X needs some power to shine, the bass is :L3000:

Sep 11, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #10,384 of 12,748
So I just bought some 'B-Stock" LCD-X from Moon Audio, they'll be here day after tomorrow. Seemed like a deal at $899 delivered so hopefully I won't regret spending the extra $300 for the new retail 'Creator Package'. These should be huge upgrade over the Shure SRH840 phones I've had for many years. For the money I thought they were quite good but they have seen rare use since I got the JH13Pro IEMs may years ago.

I believe these 'B-Stock' Audeze will have the new headband, memory foam ear cups, and braided cable. I'll pick up another cable (Moon Black Dragon v2, maybe Norne Solv or Draug2) but want to get used to the LCD-X with the factory wire first, which will also give me time to pick the appropriate connector should I change amps. I have a Corda Symphony DAC/amp which I'm hoping will work okay with the Audeze - it accepts the factory cable 1/4 plug. It's obviously long discontinued, based on its age I assume there are much better options out there now. So, what DAC/amp combos others have found that work great with the LCD-X ? My budget is fairly flexible, I'd consider anything from the Micca OriGen, Audeze Deckard to Questyle CMA800R. Maybe the Topping DX7S ? Seems like the LCD-X should be fairly easy to drive based on their specs.

Source will be digital files stored on a MacBook Pro via USB. I use an Aurender N10 in my big rig so will give that a try too.

The Corda Symphony is old but still good - it's from the earlier era of Meier gear, back when it was a bit warmer and more euphonic (to my ears anyway), rather than strictly neutral. Whether or not this is a good thing is up to the listener, but I might prefer a Symphony to one of the later amps like the Classic - depending on the system of course.

Where you are most certain to find an improvement is by grabbing an outboard DAC. The integrated digital section on the Symphony was never very impressive to my ears. I'd say you will get a much better improvement for the same expenditure by upgraded to a dedicated DAC and keeping the Symphony, rather than replacing the Symphony with a different DAC/amp integrated unit.

Sep 12, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #10,385 of 12,748
Sounds similar to my story, I use Sonarworks Ref 4 HP, that or True-fi is a must for the X, IMO.
The adjustable "safe headroom" feature is my next favorite to the correction feature of Ref 4.
The bass adjustment and tilt is intresting as well.

12 o'clock is probably the sweet spot on an amp, I only use high gain on the Jot.

Though billed as a very easy to drive headphone, the X needs some power to shine, the bass is :L3000:

Yes. I thought it would need less power personally based of specs, however they recommend 1-4W even though the sensitivity is high and impedance is low. Pretty glad I went with the Lyr 3, really shines with power.

Without True-Fi ( assuming it’s similiar to the reference series) it sounds “hollow” if you will to me. With a slight bass boost as well, the bass becomes unreal and the transition from sub bass to bass to mids to highs is almost seemless to me.

Sep 12, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #10,386 of 12,748
Nice amp, I need to try one, but not balanced and I have Yggy.
Need a high quality balanced to SE converter cable for more options.

Well, they sounded great to me, especially after I added the Solvine and went fully balanced.
Then I tested True-fi and yes your description is accurate, a hollow mid, and rolled off in the deep bass.
It also helps smooth the upper treble a bit on my system. It's just a great listen now!
Sonarworks has done such a good job, I'm going to send them my pair to be measured for real mixing work.

But for fun only.:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #10,387 of 12,748
Well I'm starting to remember why I took a long vacation from Head-Fi... it's consuming! Thanks for the lead on the Sonarworks... read about it and will definitely buy it.

LCD-X arrive today so excited to hear them with the Corda Symphony. Doubt that is worth selling and It is a beautiful piece of equipment. I may move that into my theater for late night use with the Aurender N10 in my big rig - unfortunately the theater is right below my daughters' bedrooms so I can't really enjoy it late at night.

That would give me reason to buy a new desktop rig for my office. I'm looking into Schiit, Questyle, Burson, and Audio-GD mostly, along with the Benchmark DAC2/3 DX. For simplicity I'd prefer a DAC w/ integral headamp combo but separates also an option. The Audio-GD productions look very interesting, particularly the R-28, although I'm a bit hesitant about support being they are a Chinesse high end company.

Sep 12, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #10,388 of 12,748
So many choices!:beerchug:

Sep 12, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #10,389 of 12,748
The X are likely the best VALUE headphones out of all the LCD lineup. Now that I have the 4z, I can honestly say that I could have been perfectly happy with the X and LCDi4 and called it good. Because I dont think the 4z are thousands of dollars better than the X. Better yes, but marginally so.

For a desktop rig it is really hard to beat the Hugo 2. Apart from price because H2 is not cheap. But H2 along with X is a seriously great combo that can be legitimately considered to be end game. If supplemented with i4, there would be few setups that can seriously rival or compare. The external Gilmore Lite MkII is just icing on the cake, providing more headroom which all my LCD headphones appreciate A LOT. But absolutely not mandatory for any of the three. To make that clear.

IF I was looking to get JUST ONE Audeze headphone, it would be the X hands down. Absolutely the best value for the money in their entire lineup IMHO. Pair that with Hugo 2, there you have arguably the most cost-effective digital playback system money can buy. And super compact on top of the extreme SQ.

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #10,390 of 12,748
Nice amp, I need to try one, but not balanced and I have Yggy.
Need a high quality balanced to SE converter cable for more options.

Well, they sounded great to me, especially after I added the Solvine and went fully balanced.
Then I tested True-fi and yes your description is accurate, a hollow mid, and rolled off in the deep bass.
It also helps smooth the upper treble a bit on my system. It's just a great listen now!
Sonarworks has done such a good job, I'm going to send them my pair to be measured for real mixing work.

But for fun only.:ksc75smile:
Does the True-fi operate by VST? That is; does it need to be incorporated into whatever player you use? I tried Sonarworks Ref and couldn't get it to work, period.

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #10,392 of 12,748
The X are likely the best VALUE headphones out of all the LCD lineup. Now that I have the 4z, I can honestly say that I could have been perfectly happy with the X and LCDi4 and called it good. Because I dont think the 4z are thousands of dollars better than the X. Better yes, but marginally so.

For a desktop rig it is really hard to beat the Hugo 2. Apart from price because H2 is not cheap. But H2 along with X is a seriously great combo that can be legitimately considered to be end game. If supplemented with i4, there would be few setups that can seriously rival or compare. The external Gilmore Lite MkII is just icing on the cake, providing more headroom which all my LCD headphones appreciate A LOT. But absolutely not mandatory for any of the three. To make that clear.

IF I was looking to get JUST ONE Audeze headphone, it would be the X hands down. Absolutely the best value for the money in their entire lineup IMHO. Pair that with Hugo 2, there you have arguably the most cost-effective digital playback system money can buy. And super compact on top of the extreme SQ.
I find myself wishing I could just try a 4Z with my Hugo2, to see what the uptake is. But, I really can't complain about the X. You're right about the combo of X/H2.

Sep 12, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #10,395 of 12,748

I got my X for $800 and my 2F for $650, so I would have to agree. At MSRP though, I'd have to side with the LCD-2. While the X is noticeably better from a technical standpoint, I personally think the tuning of the LCD-2F is perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back