Audeze LCD-X
Sep 5, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #10,367 of 12,748
So what happens if you're putting 6W into the LCD-X instead of the recommended 1-4W?
Hearing loss probably followed very quickly by driver failure.

Sep 5, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #10,368 of 12,748
I once (extremely un-wisely) cranked up my Mjolnir amp connected balanced to LCD-X to see if it would distort. Neither the amp nor the X distorted at all. But my ears rang for days. So stupid. Trust me: YOU WILL DESTROY YOUR HEARING BEFORE SHREDDING THE DRIVERS.

Do Not Go There. It is totally not worth it.

Sep 5, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #10,369 of 12,748
Sep 5, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #10,370 of 12,748
I once (extremely un-wisely) cranked up my Mjolnir amp connected balanced to LCD-X to see if it would distort. Neither the amp nor the X distorted at all. But my ears rang for days. So stupid. Trust me: YOU WILL DESTROY YOUR HEARING BEFORE SHREDDING THE DRIVERS.

Do Not Go There. It is totally not worth it.
My keyboardist/soundman used to determine sound problems by inducing a squeal through the monitors, shreading my high freq hearing for the rest of the night. Definitely not worth it.

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #10,371 of 12,748
Hmm, surprising. I was reading in the Hifiman Edition X v2 thread that the recommended 1-2W limit was insignificant and applied to damaging the headphone. Interesting thing is my ears rang the most when I was using the HD800S with the Jotunheim. But I suppose I should keep the LCD-X on low gain with a balanced cable with the Jotunheim even though I don't hear that great of a difference. How exactly did you crank up the Mjolnir?

Sep 5, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #10,372 of 12,748
Turned that volume knob to the right. Not all the way obviously, but way more than normal. This the original Schiit Mjolnir amp. I think it can output 15 watts IIRC.
Or maybe 9 watts; at any rate plenty power to blow up drivers and eardrums.

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #10,376 of 12,748
Hi there, waiting for my LCD-X to arrive :) should have it on monday. I was wandering if anyone thinks it will pair well with my Little Labs Monotor HP amp? Don’t have any money left to get another HP amp. I read on this thread that a cleaner amp instead of a more coloured HP amp might best work with the LCD-X. I can’t find the specs on the Monotor but I think it’s a neutral sounding amp with lot’s of power.

Sep 8, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #10,377 of 12,748
Does anyone have the most recent driver repair prices for the LCD-X? I just bought an older pair used (2015 or earlier, not sure), and will not have any warranty coverage. I'm a little concerned about owning them.

Is there any insight on what causes them to fail? My hope is that at this age, they would have failed by now if there was some fatal flaw present.

The only amplifier I own right now is a Beyerdynamic A20, which is generally designed for higher impedance headphones. The match is obviously not ideal, but I have read a review of the A20 which claims to have had good results with the LCD-X. Is there any reason to worry that the A20 might damage the LCD-X, or is it just a matter of just not being optimal in terms of the sound itself?

Sep 9, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #10,378 of 12,748
Does anyone have the most recent driver repair prices for the LCD-X? I just bought an older pair used (2015 or earlier, not sure), and will not have any warranty coverage. I'm a little concerned about owning them.

Is there any insight on what causes them to fail? My hope is that at this age, they would have failed by now if there was some fatal flaw present.

The only amplifier I own right now is a Beyerdynamic A20, which is generally designed for higher impedance headphones. The match is obviously not ideal, but I have read a review of the A20 which claims to have had good results with the LCD-X. Is there any reason to worry that the A20 might damage the LCD-X, or is it just a matter of just not being optimal in terms of the sound itself?
The LCD-3 had a fair number of driver failures. The Xs have held up better. I don't think you need worry about X drivers.

Sep 10, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #10,379 of 12,748
So I just bought some 'B-Stock" LCD-X from Moon Audio, they'll be here day after tomorrow. Seemed like a deal at $899 delivered so hopefully I won't regret spending the extra $300 for the new retail 'Creator Package'. These should be huge upgrade over the Shure SRH840 phones I've had for many years. For the money I thought they were quite good but they have seen rare use since I got the JH13Pro IEMs may years ago.

I believe these 'B-Stock' Audeze will have the new headband, memory foam ear cups, and braided cable. I'll pick up another cable (Moon Black Dragon v2, maybe Norne Solv or Draug2) but want to get used to the LCD-X with the factory wire first, which will also give me time to pick the appropriate connector should I change amps. I have a Corda Symphony DAC/amp which I'm hoping will work okay with the Audeze - it accepts the factory cable 1/4 plug. It's obviously long discontinued, based on its age I assume there are much better options out there now. So, what DAC/amp combos others have found that work great with the LCD-X ? My budget is fairly flexible, I'd consider anything from the Micca OriGen, Audeze Deckard to Questyle CMA800R. Maybe the Topping DX7S ? Seems like the LCD-X should be fairly easy to drive based on their specs.

Source will be digital files stored on a MacBook Pro via USB. I use an Aurender N10 in my big rig so will give that a try too.

Sep 10, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #10,380 of 12,748
I bought mine as a new open box as well, no regrets.
Although the X is easy to drive, I am often at 12 to 1 o'clock on my Jot with a balanced connection.
So they will take some watts.
A Lyr 3 multibit would be sweet for a single ended all in one solution. Many love the sound of the Lyr 3

Happy listening, you'll love em.:L3000:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back