Audeze LCD-X
Apr 22, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #9,271 of 12,748
Thank you for your impressions. I on the other hand definitely wanted a more neutral presentation so I bought the X's only after hearing the XC's. I was worried though because the treble on the XCs is not to my liking as it has a rather hot signature in the treble. I was pleasantly surprised with the Xs with everything I threw at them. I mostly listen to EDM, singer/songwriter, and jazz. Small ensemble jazz and acoustics do well but classical on a grander scale seems to lack treble linearity but extension is awesome. I have been using my Liquid Carbon v2 balanced out with my X's and they sound so perfect for me. I too feel that my X's will be my endgame too.

I was looking at the Liquid Carbon as well! I do think from here on our it's just buying amp/DAC to go with it. I mean if I had all the money I'd get a Hugo TT, but the Deckard is on my short list otherwise.

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #9,272 of 12,748
  They're like the 2 but more dynamic. At least to my ears. I'm a rock/metal/rap guy for the most part and these nail every single one of those. I don't need HD800 sized soundstage, what I need is for the instruments to feel like they're actually striking. 

What I was worried about going to the X was that they seem to have a rep as being the most "neutral" of the Audeze line. That's not something I want to hear, because I loved the LCD-2F's lush sound, but after testing a pair for a while I realized that "neutral" to some people is not what I assume most audiophiles mean. 

What I'm finding is that recordings are all over the map. Some are bassy, some are thin, some are meaty, some are spacious. That tells me the X is doing a damn good job of getting the most out of what it's playing rather than having a very specific sound that gets imparted on everything. At least in terms of my own personal tastes. 

I feel very much like I'm at endgame with headphones. All I want to do now is possible pick a different amp/DAC. Got my eye on the Deckard, since I'm in an Audeze world now.

EDIT: By the way, there is a very fun little track to use with headphones to test their capability of dealing with distorted songs. Gucci Mane - Swing My Door. If you can listen to that and it sounds clipped but not completely blown out, that's an impressive driver. For multi-driver setups it's easy. A single diaphragm usually struggles. The X has no issues.

X for the win 
o2smile.gif

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #9,274 of 12,748
For sure! @Music Alchemist
 was the one who said I'd probably get these as my end-game and damned if he wasn't right. 

HahahA nice!! I'm about to fire up my LC and Mojo to listen to some of Eric Claptons best hits before bed, cheers and happy Listening every one!

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #9,275 of 12,748
HahahA nice!! I'm about to fire up my LC and Mojo to listen to some of Eric Claptons best hits before bed, cheers and happy Listening every one!

Maaaaaan, if I could get anything for these it'd be the Chord Hugo TT without question. 

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #9,276 of 12,748
Maaaaaan, if I could get anything for these it'd be the Chord Hugo TT without question. 

Me too! But at a MSRP of $1,400.00 the Liquid Carbon v2 + Chord Mojo is one helluva a value!!! The sound is incredible!! Now that the Mojo has dropped in price and the LC's are in the ads from time to time, deals are to be had. Listening to Eric Clapton's 'River of Tears' and I can't help but think this song was mastered with the X's!!! Hahaha

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #9,277 of 12,748
Me too! But at a MSRP of $1,400.00 the Liquid Carbon v2 + Chord Mojo is one helluva a value!!! The sound is incredible!! Now that the Mojo has dropped in price and the LC's are in the ads from time to time, deals are to be had. Listening to Eric Clapton's 'River of Tears' and I can't help but think this song was mastered with the X's!!! Hahaha

I'm definitely amazed at how albums in the X don't seem too colored, just... full!

My big conundrum now is if I should get the Deckard or not, haha. I'm leaning heavily toward it...

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #9,278 of 12,748
For me too LCDX is end game if I will return back to headphone, easy drive, universal, natural, atmosphere, adult sound. But I heard HE1000 not on my system though and sound was really amazing, very very promising. But I would have to test them at home side by side if double price of the HEK would be worth for me, for headphone it is really a lot in my view. 

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #9,279 of 12,748
  For me too LCDX is end game if I will return back to headphone, easy drive, universal, natural, atmosphere, adult sound. But I heard HE1000 not on my system though and sound was really amazing, very very promising. But I would have to test them at home side by side if double price of the HEK would be worth for me, for headphone it is really a lot in my view. 

If you get the HE1000 I would be very interested in hearing your opinion on it!

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #9,280 of 12,748

I too would be interested in your opinion of the HE1K vs the LCD-X. I considered the HE1K too but was worried that the treble would have a spike between 6-7khz. I did like what I heard from the HE-X when I heard them but it wasn't very dynamic and the bass wasn't tight enough for my tastes; a very lush sound. The X does so many things right when properly amplified with a quality source signal.

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #9,281 of 12,748
I too would be interested in your opinion of the HE1K vs the LCD-X. I considered the HE1K too but was worried that the treble would have a spike between 6-7khz. I did like what I heard from the HE-X when I heard them but it wasn't very dynamic and the bass wasn't tight enough for my tastes; a very lush sound. The X does so many things right when properly amplified with a quality source signal.

The Liquid Carbon is treating you right, then? I'm still a bit hit and miss with my Watson (it's got interference or something). 

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #9,282 of 12,748
The Liquid Carbon is treating you right, then? I'm still a bit hit and miss with my Watson (it's got interference or something). 

Yes it is! The LC has oodles of power @2.75 watts per channel. What is magical to my ears though is that the LC portrays detail without excitable treble. It really pulls all the nuances out of the vocals with the X's.

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #9,283 of 12,748
Yes it is! The LC has oodles of power @2.75 watts per channel. What is magical to my ears though is that the LC portrays detail without excitable treble. It really pulls all the nuances out of the vocals with the X's.

I"m using a tube amp atm, I guess my biggest concern is that solid state would lose some of that thick low end the X has. It doesn't end up bright, does it?

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #9,285 of 12,748
LC bright? No way.  It's actually closer sounding to a tube amp compared to a lot of other SS amps out there.  

Having said that, I would strongly urge you to try a Jot balanced for the LCD-X.  I really like it for darker headphones as it reins them in with total submission.  The punch and authority it can command from headphones can take your breath away sometimes.  Notables are HD650 and M1060 for me but I did briefly hear an LCD-X on it as well.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back