Audeze LCD-X
Jul 3, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #4,486 of 12,748
After a week or so of listening I've got to say this is probably my second favorite purchase ever, behind my motorcycle. The amount of enjoyment I'll get out of these seems to be limitless.

Every time I play a song I've heard dozens of times before, I hear something new, something that impresses me. The imaging is just fantastic, far better than I could have imagined. Being able to close my eyes and tell where the Xylophone is being hit (even when the notes are close together!) just blows my mind. This is even true with piano depending on the recording. They're perfectly balanced for my taste. Some have expressed the highs are too forward with the Schiit M/G stack but I am not finding that to be the case. Perhaps the Black Dragon cable has something to do with that? At this point I wouldn't expect additional burn-in to significantly (or maybe even noticeably) change the sound signature. The last thing that constantly impresses me is the speed of these compared to my former HD650's. Everything's just so dynamic and precise sounding as a result. Maybe that's just one of the advantages of planar 'phones in general? I have nothing else to compare the X's to.

The worst part is that I'm finding that a chunk of my 16/44.1 FLAC files just aren't good enough anymore, largely due to the age of the music I like. Thankfully a lot of rock and classic rock has been remastered lately, so it isn't as much of an issue as it would have been 5 years ago. I foresee myself spending a lot more money on music now. May as well just automatically send a chunk of my paycheck to HDTracks.

These truly feel worthy of the "summit-fi" label. Audeze (and Schiit) knocked it out of the park!

Jul 3, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #4,487 of 12,748
The worst part is that I'm finding that a chunk of my 16/44.1 FLAC files just aren't good enough anymore, largely due to the age of the music I like. Thankfully a lot of rock and classic rock has been remastered lately, so it isn't as much of an issue as it would have been 5 years ago. I foresee myself spending a lot more money on music now. May as well just automatically send a chunk of my paycheck to HDTracks.

Funny, I have a similar reaction in an opposite way.  With the X's combined with the Hugo I'm finding redbook sounding better than it ever has and am questioning the need for Hi Res music over redbook, mastering being equal.
I foresee myself purchasing far less hi Res and seeking more older redbook.

Jul 3, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #4,488 of 12,748
  150+ hours burn in and my LCD-X is heavenly. The treble problem is now gone. The vocals (male and female) are just wonderful. I love this headphone.

Tomorrow I am picking up a HD800 and HE6. Once these have been burnt in I will post some comparisons.

Can I ask what amp you'll be using with all 3 ? Personally I've found that the Taurus is the only amp I own capable of showing me what the HD800s can do - everything else seems to favor the X - and I fear that will be doubly so for a headphone as demanding as the HE6. I'm in the rather odd situation now where I have a dealer chasing me to audition the PM-1 but its the HiFiMan cans that still pique my interest. When you consider the cans which have been released since the HE-6 - and the frenzy which accompanied its seemingly insatiable need for power - it's interesting to see so many people now posting that they just didnt believe the HiFiMan flagships were up there with the best until they heard them with the right amp. 

Jul 3, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #4,489 of 12,748
  Funny, I have a similar reaction in an opposite way.  With the X's combined with the Hugo I'm finding redbook sounding better than it ever has and am questioning the need for Hi Res music over redbook, mastering being equal.
I foresee myself purchasing far less hi Res and seeking more older redbook.

Mastering is really the biggest problem with older rock albums though.  That and the quality of the available recordings.  Stuff from the 60's just doesn't generally sound as good as stuff from the 80's.  Hendrix is the best example, and up until very recently, Led Zeppelin.

I do have some wonderful sounding 16/44.1 files, but they're almost all newly remastered.

Jul 3, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #4,490 of 12,748

Mastering is really the biggest problem with older rock albums though.  That and the quality of the available recordings.  Stuff from the 60's just doesn't generally sound as good as stuff from the 80's.  Hendrix is the best example, and up until very recently, Led Zeppelin.

I do have some wonderful sounding 16/44.1 files, but they're almost all newly remastered.

Do the vinyl transfers yourself and remaster.  That's my objective, sometimes you have to do it yourself if they can't get it right.

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #4,491 of 12,748

Can I ask what amp you'll be using with all 3 ? Personally I've found that the Taurus is the only amp I own capable of showing me what the HD800s can do - everything else seems to favor the X - and I fear that will be doubly so for a headphone as demanding as the HE6. I'm in the rather odd situation now where I have a dealer chasing me to audition the PM-1 but its the HiFiMan cans that still pique my interest. When you consider the cans which have been released since the HE-6 - and the frenzy which accompanied its seemingly insatiable need for power - it's interesting to see so many people now posting that they just didnt believe the HiFiMan flagships were up there with the best until they heard them with the right amp. 

My setup is iPod->Wadia i170 transport -> Auralic Vega -> Auralic Taurus Mk 2.

I have ALO Ref 8 (or equivalent Salty Pepper) cables on the way for all 3.

I bought the Taurus largely because I wanted an amp that could drive any dynamic or planar headphone in existence and get the best out of it (or somewhere damn close to it). I did a lot of scouring on the web before deciding on the Taurus, and one of the big selling points was a reviewer stating that the Taurus does a better job of driving the HE6 than the EF6 does (which was purpose built to drive the HE6?).

Link

I am only at the start of the burn in with the HE6 and HD800, but from what I have heard so far both of them are going to give the LCD-X a serious challenge.
I have the HD800s on my head right now, fed from my PC rig (Moon 100D DAC, WA6 with upgraded tubes) and enjoying the hell out of it
L3000.gif

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #4,492 of 12,748
@TonyNewman- great stuff - look forward to more impressions and totally agree with you re the Taurus. It's not cheap but its good to know you have the power for any headphone currently in production. 

Jul 4, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #4,496 of 12,748
After 100 hours of loud pink noise burn-in on the LCD-X, using it with the Schiit Lyr2 amp, I would say it's still a headphone with pronounced sibilance but
not necessary a "wart," more part of its character. Not flattering to bad recordings like the 2.2, but perhaps gives more air and detail, and better imaging,
to the best recordings.

John

Jul 4, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #4,497 of 12,748
Oh regarding LCD-X bass and burn-in...

The bass was nothing special right out of the box, didn't have that deep and articulate quality of the 2.2. But after 100 hours of loud pink noise I'm feeling the bass for sure! That's a relief... I had read in an article by Tyll Hertsens that there is something changing in the bass measurements of recent Audeze models.

Jul 4, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #4,498 of 12,748
A few early reviews back in November 2013 noted that 'lack' of bass in the X relative to its siblings. I demoed the X expecting to be disappointed in this area. But they had bass for dayyyyys! Holographic imaging of the hd800 plus bass better than the 2; total win to my ears.

Now if only audeze can ship me back the correct units. They shipped me a defective and incorrect unit, but I had to pay to ship it back to them. Sort of insulting on principle given their very attentive and polite customer service rep took total responsibility for the problem. You'd think they would have a better system when they mess up the order than having the customer pay extra and not have the units for over two weeks ...

Jul 4, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #4,500 of 12,748
The LCDX i had previously, and the one I have now after Audeze RMA'd it and I swapped out its drivers, have more bass than the LCD2 I tried a while back.

I still consider this a U-shaped headphone though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back