Audeze LCD-X
Jul 2, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #4,471 of 12,748

HeadFi gear can become obsessive very fast. I really had to restrain myself from going all out for a BHSE and Stax-009.
tongue_smile.gif

Dont be shy.  I did it and loving every minute.  Still use the LCD-X even with the SR009.  BHSE taking a long time so the sooner you get your order in the better.  I wish I had ordered it when I first thought about it as opposed to waiting.

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #4,472 of 12,748

Dont be shy.  I did it and loving every minute.  Still use the LCD-X even with the SR009.  BHSE taking a long time so the sooner you get your order in the better.  I wish I had ordered it when I first thought about it as opposed to waiting.

I was going to stop at a WA6/HD600 setup - now my hardcore listening setup is Vega/Taurus/LCD-X/HD800/HE6.

There is something very 'crack junkie like' happening with me and headfi gear - just one more hit...
blink.gif

I draw the line at the electrostatics - a step too far for me - at least for now. If only someone would produce an electrostatic amp that matches the price + quality equation of the Taurus I would think again - but $5,000 USD for a headphone amp, plus that again for the SR009, is a place I can't go.

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #4,473 of 12,748

I was going to stop at a WA6/HD600 setup - now my hardcore listening setup is Vega/Taurus/LCD-X/HD800/HE6.

There is something very 'crack junkie like' happening with me and headfi gear - just one more hit...
blink.gif

I draw the line at the electrostatics - a step too far for me - at least for now. If only someone would produce an electrostatic amp that matches the price + quality equation of the Taurus I would think again - but $5,000 USD for a headphone amp, plus that again for the SR009, is a place I can't go.

SR009 from PJ more like 3500.  KGSSHV 3kish

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #4,474 of 12,748

blink.gif

-A slightly less punitive option (for your wallet) would be the KGSSHV amp - a top-notch DIY solid-state amp. Parts cost is probably on the order of USD1200-1500 or so, and then you'll need somebody competent to build it for you. Still an awful lot of $$$ before you can put the SR009 over your ears, though...

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #4,475 of 12,748

...Still an awful lot of $$$ before you can put the SR009 over your ears, though...

There's the rub. It is a very big investment for what is (probably) a relatively small % increment in performance over my Auralic setup with flagship dynamic/planar cans. Still, I can't help drooling slightly every time I see a review of a BHSE/Stax009 setup
tongue_smile.gif

Maybe one day, but not today.

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #4,476 of 12,748

There's the rub. It is a very big investment for what is (probably) a relatively small % increment in performance over my Auralic setup with flagship dynamic/planar cans. Still, I can't help drooling slightly every time I see a review of a BHSE/Stax009 setup
tongue_smile.gif

Maybe one day, but not today.

-I guess we could start a support group or something; I've been thinking much the same thing - while I am quite pleased with my current setup, it would be fun to test what is by many considered THE headphones.

We're already way into the law of diminishing returns, though - what, spend upwards of $10k (I'll get a 25% sales tax on top of the SR-009 cost from Japan) on something which will, I presume, just be a tiny tad 'better' - whatever that may be on this level - than my current setup? (LCD-X; Benchmark DAC2). Not very likely to happen anytime soon.

Maybe after I win in the lottery. Only I don't buy tickets - lotteries are an extra tax on people who slept during statistics classes... :)

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #4,477 of 12,748
Hi all, I'm pretty new to Head-fi and have been following this thread, just wanted to say that after approx 25hrs my LCD-X are finally singing. Initially being a little harsh in the treble and mids that harshness has now gone, pretty suddenly I must say! They are sounding simply amazing through Chord Hugo and I can finally see why they cost me so much more than my Hd650 (wonderful though the Senns are). Disappointment has turned to wonder!!

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #4,478 of 12,748
Have read much of this thread with great interest. Thanks for the great insight and impressions.

Have the LCD-3 will receive the LCD-X tomorrow in order to choose one -- won't be keeping both.

That said, I have the Oppo 105D for my HT system and a CEntrance HiFi-M8 for portable HP use.

My question is do I go with the Oppo HA-1 or the Audio GD Master 9? Yes, I realize the Oppo offers the DAC so it's not apples to apples, but my main goal is finding a long term HP amp. I'm leaning toward the M9 given the reviews and it's impressive power that affords flexibility for the future.

Has anyone heard both, especially with the Audeze's?

Thanks

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #4,479 of 12,748
  Have read much of this thread with great interest. Thanks for the great insight and impressions.

Have the LCD-3 will receive the LCD-X tomorrow in order to choose one -- won't be keeping both.

That said, I have the Oppo 105D for my HT system and a CEntrance HiFi-M8 for portable HP use.

My question is do I go with the Oppo HA-1 or the Audio GD Master 9? Yes, I realize the Oppo offers the DAC so it's not apples to apples, but my main goal is finding a long term HP amp. I'm leaning toward the M9 given the reviews and it's impressive power that affords flexibility for the future.

Thanks

I have the LCD-X and own the Audio GD Phoenix (similar to the M9, but not exactly it's parallel). From my experience, it pairs very well with the LCD-X and drives them very well. I originally had the Mjolnir but found the Phoenix on the classifieds and bought it for its plethora of inputs/outputs. I found only slight differences between the two from a SQ perspective - the mids on the Phoenix were a little recessed and it was a touch darker in general than the Mjolnir. I took both to a meet last weekend and seemed to get similar responses from others that A/B'd the two. I haven't heard the Oppo so I can't speak to it, but I would imagine that it might fall short of the M9 only because it has the DAC as well. So total cost might be equal, but you might not get a $1500 amp from the Oppo. Plus, the M9 offers a lot of flexibility given its ability to switch between headphone out/preamp out (if you have speakers that you want to drive) and the ability to select between up to five inputs (each with its own volume control).

On a side note, I bought a Bryston BHA-1 and sold my Mjolnir. I prefer the Bryston and think it sounds the best out of the three amps. I also think it sounds the best out of the three with my HD 800s. So if you're looking for a near end-game amp (since nothing is ever really 'end game'), you might want to look into the BHA-1 as well. I haven't decided what to do with my Phoenix yet...

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #4,480 of 12,748

blink.gif

I take it the Vega/Taurus stack with the LCD-X is a really nice combination? Agree on the electrostatics; sure they are all that but at a $10k barrier to entry I think one may be reaching the very fringes of diminishing returns far as headphone audio goes. Like insisting on driving a Maserati or Lamborghini as daily driver when a Corvette or a Saleen Mustang would definitely get the job done and not exactly slummin' either...

Jul 2, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #4,481 of 12,748

I have the LCD-X and own the Audio GD Phoenix (similar to the M9, but not exactly it's parallel). From my experience, it pairs very well with the LCD-X and drives them very well. I originally had the Mjolnir but found the Phoenix on the classifieds and bought it for its plethora of inputs/outputs. I found only slight differences between the two from a SQ perspective - the mids on the Phoenix were a little recessed and it was a touch darker in general than the Mjolnir. I took both to a meet last weekend and seemed to get similar responses from others that A/B'd the two. I haven't heard the Oppo so I can't speak to it, but I would imagine that it might fall short of the M9 only because it has the DAC as well. So total cost might be equal, but you might not get a $1500 amp from the Oppo. Plus, the M9 offers a lot of flexibility given its ability to switch between headphone out/preamp out (if you have speakers that you want to drive) and the ability to select between up to five inputs (each with its own volume control).

On a side note, I bought a Bryston BHA-1 and sold my Mjolnir. I prefer the Bryston and think it sounds the best out of the three amps. I also think it sounds the best out of the three with my HD 800s. So if you're looking for a near end-game amp (since nothing is ever really 'end game'), you might want to look into the BHA-1 as well. I haven't decided what to do with my Phoenix yet...

Thanks for your thoughts. The HA-1 has flexibility as well with it's ability to serve as a pre with balanced outputs and triggers along with passive HT option. I need the headamp I purchase to also serve as a pre with balanced outs since right now the headamp that I purchase will at least start by being housed with the rest of my gear in a media closet.  My Oppo 105D will be connected to the headamp via XLR/balanced and the headamp/pre needs to be able offer XLR/balanced outs to then go to my monoblocks for 2 channel and 7.1 HT use (the Oppo 105D will be connected via RCAs to a 5 ch amp).

The M9 seems like a bargain given several believe it is comparable to, if not better than, the GS-X MK2. Plus it is half the cost and readily available without waiting several months.

As far as the Bryston BHA-1, I had looked at that and it seems like it is an excellent choice, and perhaps under appreciated, though I can't speak from personal experience. Wish I could demo them, but not easy to find. When I called the local dealer (50 minutes away) they said they'd have to order one and it would take a couple weeks). The BHA-1 doesn't offer the power of the M9, though not an issue for the LCD-X I would imagine given that they are easier to drive, even vs. the 3's. It just seems less flexible.

The Mjolnir seems like a strong choice as well, especially at it's price point. 

The idea of separates also appeals to me as the headamp should be a long term purchase, while the DAC is likely to require upgrading sooner. My approach is to do a lot of research up front and try to make thoughtful purchases that will last as opposed to constantly buying/selling -- that's not a criticism of those who do the latter, it's just not my style. 

What I have read on the HA-1 it seems like an attractive, well designed and well built unit. No surprise given that it's an Oppo. Still leaning toward the M9 for now...

Thanks

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #4,483 of 12,748
I take it the Vega/Taurus stack with the LCD-X is a really nice combination? Agree on the electrostatics; sure they are all that but at a $10k barrier to entry I think one may be reaching the very fringes of diminishing returns far as headphone audio goes. Like insisting on driving a Maserati or Lamborghini as daily driver when a Corvette or a Saleen Mustang would definitely get the job done and not exactly slummin' either...

The Vega/Taurus with the LCD-X pushes all my buttons - it works very well for me. What drew me to the Taurus initially was the review from Tyll over at Inner Fidelity (well worth a read if you haven't seen it) and I wanted a SS amp that could drive any dynamic or planar headphone out there, including the HE6, and do it well. That Taurus ticks all the boxes including value for money - it punches well above its price range according to every review I have found on it.

I did look hard at the Bryston and Burson products, but for not that much more coin the Taurus puts you up another level, and has the ability to do the magic with the HE6. My personal goal (and this is my hobbyist affliction and not really rational at all) is to own a collection of flagship dynamic + planar headphones. So far I have the LCD-X/HE6/HD800. To do this I needed an amp that I could be sure would drive the HE6 - I'm not sure the Bryston or Burson products can do that as well as the Taurus can.

I'm not quite as sure about the Vega - it produces great results but my only point of comparison was my old DAC - a Simaudio Moon 100D - which is not close to the same league as the Vega. I did really notice the difference when I plugged the Vega in - detail and sound stage in particular took a big leap upwards. Control at the top and bottom ends improved remarkably. I don't doubt that the Vega is a great DAC, just that I don't have anything similar to compare it to. All the reviews I can find rave about it and the results to my ears are impressive.

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #4,484 of 12,748

Thanks

M9 is going to offer more long term flexibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back