Audeze LCD-MX4
Dec 30, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #559 of 907
Got my mx4 yesterday, get some empressions.
It is still a tank, but veryyyyy comfortable!
Pads are thick!
I have a big head and it looks very bulky.
Make me look like this....
25FADA06-98AA-4DE8-B622-07FCDF62F5C1.jpeg
It might not be the original AUDEZE sound.
But I really love it. It is very nuertral but very rich and textured. I think the mids a little pump out, make female vocal a little more present. Mid has a very nice texture. Bass is light compare to other lcd, but quality is still AUDEZE level. If you use AUDEZE DSP, it looks like it adds some of the spacious of the sound. They try to make it sound like you are in a recording room. The effect is very obious.
Sound signature is very similar to LCD i4, if you like lcd i4, you will love this. Also it is richer sound than lcdi4, soundstage is wide but vertical do not have the depth of lcdi4, i4 give you a kind of square sence, mx4 is more like rectangular.
Compare to clear, mx4 sound more wider and clean.
Jazz and frmale vocale both perform better imo.
I will update more impression in the future. But for me it is definitely a keeper.
6EEC6B21-3802-4185-841B-F32953E00853.jpeg
64C25EF1-C84C-418D-B59D-64C0AF897C10.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #560 of 907
I'm looking forward to your impressions, especially in comparison to the clear.

Dec 30, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #561 of 907
Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #564 of 907
Second day:
Today I do some listen to compare MX4 with HD800 and Utopia. But mainly clear vs MX4.
Clear has more bass quantity, slightly better high-mid. Treble is slightly better, which someone may think it is 'SHOUTY'
MX4 slightly roll of the treble.
But MX4 has a much bigger soundstage and better image.
Everything sound like enlarged. It is like a magnifying glass
My genre is mainly jazz and acoustic music so these are my track.
1. Dr. Jazz by
Walter Melrose Opus3 (11.2 DSD)
MX4 has a much better instrument separation.
Utopia is also fantastic, but they present different, Utopia diver can make fast attack. Mx4 use a bigger sound stage and image to separate. Clear sound a little compressed with so many instruments.
upload_2018-12-31_0-43-44.png

2. Seiza by Suara (11.2 dsd)
Special Place Recording -Suara at 求道会館
This is my one of my favorite female vocal
Utopia has the best vocal, second is HD800, then clear, MX4.
But they all perform fantastic.
Since it is a live recording. you can hear the sound bounce back from the wall.
MX4 has the bigger sound stage and most lively feel. vocal do not have those in your face kind of feeling.
Utopia sound stage is smaller but still very, spotless sharp sound give you detail sounding. It is so lively which makes me goosebump. Really really love it!
HD800 is also fantastic which put female vocal in the middle and has a big sound stage, but except the female vocal, its clarity can't compete with Utopia and MX4.
Clear compare to others just don't have the liveness of the sound, female vocal is very nice, but the soundstage is just limited which make it can't compete with others.

89b2035afaabd0342a44c5498dc13c11.jpg

3. can't get enough by bad company. (5.6 dsd)
This is the song I test clarity.
First 5 second. on your right channel.
There is a sound of the drum stick hitting the edge of the drum and the sound is bouncing back from the wall.
Most clean and detail sound is Utopia, MX4 is a second, clear and HD800 sound a little 'unclear'.
hqdefault.jpg

4. Now I am listening Miles runs the Voodoo down with MX4, fantastic!

I think MX4 is musical, easy to listen with, great detail, neutral sound, plus great sound stage and great image.
Now it's time to go to bed, sorry about my bad English.

And last but not least, happy new year!
微信图片_20181231005735.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-31_0-43-17.png
    upload_2018-12-31_0-43-17.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • upload_2018-12-31_0-54-10.png
    upload_2018-12-31_0-54-10.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • upload_2018-12-31_0-57-13.png
    upload_2018-12-31_0-57-13.png
  • upload_2018-12-31_0-57-28.png
    upload_2018-12-31_0-57-28.png
Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #565 of 907
There's likely unfounded speculation that it was B-Stock. Take a damn breath first before acting... email Audeze and ask, or something man. Chances are someone misread and email or a customer service rep got their info muddled.

Wowee... people need to take 5 before blowing up online.

I don't believe these are B-Stock. I back ordered on Audio 46. They told me that Audeze sold far more than they were expecting and might be running out. They offered me B-stock for $1299 if I wanted. I took the B-stock. the only damage I can find is two nicks in the case. I highly doubt the discounted units are B-stock.

I've auditioned a lot of pairs and these are really just right for me and my ears. I was eyeing the LCD-X and was waiting for a sale. When these popped up on sale I went for it even though I am relatively new to this hobby. The saved weight mean I can wear these headphones longer than the LCD-X, hopefully for the entire work day. the only problem I am having is I don't like the way they make female vocals sound on some occasions. When I listen to the album blue by Joni Mitchell it sounds a little wrong to me. I think it's the bass. This album sounded much more natural to me with my HE400i with HM5 pleather pads. I'm going to work on parametric EQing at home, but I can't EQ at work because I am working off of my phone through a Topping DX3 pro.

Jan 2, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #566 of 907
I don't believe these are B-Stock. I back ordered on Audio 46. They told me that Audeze sold far more than they were expecting and might be running out. They offered me B-stock for $1299 if I wanted. I took the B-stock. the only damage I can find is two nicks in the case. I highly doubt the discounted units are B-stock.

I've auditioned a lot of pairs and these are really just right for me and my ears. I was eyeing the LCD-X and was waiting for a sale. When these popped up on sale I went for it even though I am relatively new to this hobby. The saved weight mean I can wear these headphones longer than the LCD-X, hopefully for the entire work day. the only problem I am having is I don't like the way they make female vocals sound on some occasions. When I listen to the album blue by Joni Mitchell it sounds a little wrong to me. I think it's the bass. This album sounded much more natural to me with my HE400i with HM5 pleather pads. I'm going to work on parametric EQing at home, but I can't EQ at work because I am working off of my phone through a Topping DX3 pro.
I also find female vocals slightly soft.
especially compare with HD800, HD800 is more focus and tight.

Jan 2, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #568 of 907
MX4 clearly needs correction but it appears to be a very correction capable headphone and I believe properly calibrated it will hold ground on any other TOTL headphone at any price point.

It does, I was just listening to them today, corrected by my personal EQ curves, which are pretty much V-shapes of multiple sorts to enhance the bass and the treble, and man, do I love the soundon MX4, they have a magical sweetness to their vocals reproduction I just can't explain in words, along with that sweet bass, and natural overall sound.

Falling up never sounded so sweet :)

Jan 9, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #570 of 907
It does, I was just listening to them today, corrected by my personal EQ curves, which are pretty much V-shapes of multiple sorts to enhance the bass and the treble, and man, do I love the soundon MX4, they have a magical sweetness to their vocals reproduction I just can't explain in words, along with that sweet bass, and natural overall sound.

Falling up never sounded so sweet :)

I've got mine boxed up and awaiting some guidance by Sonarworks to actually ship them reliably for calibration. Hopefully this will be a problem-free process this time. It was quite painful the other time I tried but they assured me they have fixed the process on their end to assign a support person to each custom calibration to setup proper shipping and import paperwork and with the carrier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back