Audeze LCD-MX4
Dec 23, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #526 of 907
I'd call it finally the right price for what was overpriced.
I agree. Any headphone over $1500 is overpriced IMO, save for some Stax models. The diminishing returns aspect is just too strong...to pay another $1000 for something that may or may not be slightly 'better' than something else for one's particular taste is just too variable to ever be money well-spent. I think I mentioned with the Diana that it looked like nothing close to $3000 but it's transparency might be worth it (if another phone can't do it) , and the build/materials justify some of that. Built from scratch, rather than a cheap model upgraded until you can charge four times the original price because you've got your buyers hypnotized. But seriously, for $2000-$3000, it should just BLOW EVERYTHING CHEAPER AWAY, but does this really happen?

But anything half price is still a deal, is it not? I mean, you can save 100% by not buying anything at all, but...

Dec 23, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #527 of 907
Impressions?
Wonderful tonality/ balance, treble is clean, bass is all there and in balance, nice natural sense of space. More comfortable/lighter than the LCD-X and XC.

Dec 23, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #529 of 907
Do you mean the one at DIY-Audio? Haven't a clue where the hell they got that reading from. Were it accurate the MX4 would honk like a Canada goose, have zero bottom, and treble that sounds like sandpaper.

It does not have treble as a 'separate entity' that you can focus on. IMO you shouldn't hear treble anyway. You should hear smooth uncolored midrange timbre with overtones that go into the treble area, and allow a bit of air around cymbals, etc. Kind of like the sounds of real instruments and voices you'd hear live at a nice venue.

Dec 23, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #530 of 907
Do you mean the one at DIY-Audio? Haven't a clue where the hell they got that reading from. Were it accurate the MX4 would honk like a Canada goose, have zero bottom, and treble that sounds like sandpaper.

It does not have treble as a 'separate entity' that you can focus on. IMO you shouldn't hear treble anyway. You should hear smooth uncolored midrange timbre with overtones that go into the treble area, and allow a bit of air around cymbals, etc. Kind of like the sounds of real instruments and voices you'd hear live at a nice venue.

Is that how you hear it? If so, color me impressed. The only Audeze I’ve ever really liked is the 3 Fazor. It has the best soundstage and most present treble that I’ve heard. The X would have been my favorite if the upper mids weren’t so rolled off and it didn’t weigh as much as a Volvo.

Dec 23, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #531 of 907
Is that how you hear it? If so, color me impressed. The only Audeze I’ve ever really liked is the 3 Fazor. It has the best soundstage and most present treble that I’ve heard. The X would have been my favorite if the upper mids weren’t so rolled off and it didn’t weigh as much as a Volvo.
Compared to what though? I find the best planars measure that way but sound more like really good speakers in a good room or a performance.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #532 of 907
These are opening up really nicely with some burn-in. I do believe I will be very happy with them post-calibration. Comfort is slightly better then the X as well now that the velour pads have had time to break in a bit. Believe it or not my neck can feel the 15g weight discount over the X. Imagine if it really was 30% lighter as it was advertised. I'd love them.

Dec 23, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #533 of 907
Compared to what though? I find the best planars measure that way but sound more like really good speakers in a good room or a performance.

Compared to just about any headphone I’ve ever owned or briefly listened to. I’ve never owned a headphone that sounds so rollled off in the presence region like Audeze’s do. Sennheiser 800, 800S, 598, 599, 600, 650, Hifiman 400i, 560, HEX V2, Ananda, HEK V2, AKG k702, k712, k553, any recent Beyer, Ultrasone Edition 15, Shure 1540, PSB M4U1, Final D8000, and pretty much every other headphone I’ve ever tried.

The one Audeze exception is the LCD 3 Fazor, which I really liked. It also seemed to have a much better soundstage than the Audeze models.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #534 of 907
To all who received the special priced MX4s, exactly how did it come to indicate new. I have
no reference. I received no bags for the cables and the leather earpads did not seem "new".
So after hearing about that this sale was actually "B-stock", I might just return them due to principle.

I really did wonder about whether these were in fact new. I wouldn't shell out 1500 on any B-stock anything.

It's the bait and switch which is really bugging me.

Dec 23, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #535 of 907
To all who received the special priced MX4s, exactly how did it come to indicate new. I have
no reference. I received no bags for the cables and the leather earpads did not seem "new".
So after hearing about that this sale was actually "B-stock", I might just return them due to principle.

I really did wonder about whether these were in fact new. I wouldn't shell out 1500 on any B-stock anything.

There's likely unfounded speculation that it was B-Stock. Take a damn breath first before acting... email Audeze and ask, or something man. Chances are someone misread and email or a customer service rep got their info muddled.

Wowee... people need to take 5 before blowing up online.

Dec 23, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #536 of 907
For what it's worth the MX4 I got from Audeze via Amazon had adhesive/glue showing in multiple spots where the pads attached. Not sure if that is B-stock or just poor QC but I returned them.

Dec 23, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #537 of 907
not a big fan of their double sided tape pad attachment scheme. no matter how carefully I peel them off to swap out I end up tearing something, this time it was a thin foam spacer they seem to be using now. would be nice if they had a proper pad attachment slot like every other headphone in the world.

Dec 23, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #538 of 907

But what if they sound really good?

Dec 24, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #540 of 907
Principle for me is if someone else received and returned, it is B-Stock or Open Box and it
should be sold as such. You see, I am a bit particular in that I want new and never worn on
any other head headphones.
Fair enough.

But if I was offered a new Porsche at half price because someone drove it around the block and brought it back, I'd jump on it.

Compared to just about any headphone I’ve ever owned or briefly listened to. I’ve never owned a headphone that sounds so rollled off in the presence region like Audeze’s do. Sennheiser 800, 800S, 598, 599, 600, 650, Hifiman 400i, 560, HEX V2, Ananda, HEK V2, AKG k702, k712, k553, any recent Beyer, Ultrasone Edition 15, Shure 1540, PSB M4U1, Final D8000, and pretty much every other headphone I’ve ever tried.

The one Audeze exception is the LCD 3 Fazor, which I really liked. It also seemed to have a much better soundstage than the Audeze models.
I get the comparison and it is valid. I suppose it comes down to one's tastes and preferences....which one sounds most like what real life sounds to them. For absolute sonic terms, I prefer most when the midrange is near perfect and linear and the bass and treble merely enhance that or at least do no harm to it. For a good time and sheer fun, it can be any headphone at any given time. I know we will never have a perfect headphone because it ain't be and will never be because we look for different kinds of perfection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back