Audeze LCD-MX4
Dec 22, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #511 of 907
I believe the magnet structure on the MX4 is to be improved over the X with the same 1.5T double fluxor magnet array as the 4 has. So a more powerful magnet then the X which would explain the increase in sensitivity and more linear tighter deep bass. It would also explain why it is the same weight as the X even with the magnesium housing and headband leather holes. It would be interesting to see distortion plots between the two. Guessing the MX4 has lower distortion.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #512 of 907
according to diyaudio heaven the MX4 distortion measurements are about half that of the X especially in the bass and the MX4 has better damping. They also indicate the X as the closer to neutral uncorrected headphone but that the MX4 'needs' and handles correction well...

''Those who want a bit more clarity and bass should reach for tone controls / EQ and get a nicely made headphone that reacts well to EQ.''

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/audeze/lcd-mx4/

... but does the X have a bigger driver? according to them the X driver is 106mm while the MX4 driver is 80mm ???

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #514 of 907
I'd be interested to hear from any b-stock recipients if they notice any cosmetic flaws that actually warrant a b-stock classification. In other words, I'm wondering if they're "b-stock" in name only. Audeze's been selling b-stock MX4's since just a few months after the headphone's release which makes a person wonder if it's mostly just a marketing maneuver to move more product without changing the list price. Etc.

Dec 22, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #515 of 907
I own a pair of lcd i4 which is b-stock which is also a few month after release. I don’t really see any cosmetic issue on it. Basically that is a new pair. Hope that is the same case for mx4

Dec 22, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #516 of 907
I don't believe the Amazon were advertised as B stock so it would be highly contentious if they in fact were... hopefully Audeze will chime in here and put those fears to rest. My feeling is considering their performance is on par with the X and their weight is also basically the same they weren't selling at their original hyper inflated price and they are just trying to figure out how to clear them from stock so they can discontinue them as they were always a bit of a weird variant of their LCD lineup. Confusing to have both 4 and X in the name to be honest. Personally believe this is the price they should have always been and the X should have been retired when the MX4 was released.

Price is right at the moment but in all I would have been 30% happier with my purchase if they weighed 30% less then the X as was claimed on their website and advertising. Even a 20% 120g discount over the 600g X would have been very much appreciated. For me at this moment it's just a potential promise of better sound once calibrated and had I paid full price they would have immediately been returned.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #517 of 907
I think everyone needs to step back and take a deep breath regarding this whole B-Stock thing. One email from someone who very easily could have sent the wrong bit of info is not indicative of intentional false advertising... I'm gonna do a little occam's razor test here. What's more likely: Human error in relaying some info? Or Audeze intentionally mislabeling their holiday sale page (which clearly demarcates 'special pricing' and 'B-stock'), along with misleading their authorized dealers?

I'm going go with a case of broken telephone occurred.

I ordered mine from Woo Audio (came with a free headphone stand and cheaper shipping to Canada than Amazon, Woo indeed!) and have absolutely zero concern that I'll be receiving B-stock. Even if I did... I'm paying half price and the full warranty is in play, so that'd be a big ol' shrug from me.

Dec 22, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #519 of 907
@thebkt Yes, I agree. It also wouldn’t add up that they would have so much B-stock. I just wanted to provide for discussion the exact information I was given by this one person at Audeze because it seemed in conflict with the other facts. Sometimes opening a discussion like this provides an opportunity for others to chime in with relevant information...

Dec 22, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #520 of 907
@thebkt Yes, I agree. It also wouldn’t add up that they would have so much B-stock. I just wanted to provide for discussion the exact information I was given by this one person at Audeze because it seemed in conflict with the other facts. Sometimes opening a discussion like this provides an opportunity for others to chime in with relevant information...
All good! The additional digging is much appreciated. It just quickly started to spiral into a mess after your initial post :)

Dec 22, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #521 of 907
I'd be interested to hear from any b-stock recipients if they notice any cosmetic flaws that actually warrant a b-stock classification. In other words, I'm wondering if they're "b-stock" in name only. Audeze's been selling b-stock MX4's since just a few months after the headphone's release which makes a person wonder if it's mostly just a marketing maneuver to move more product without changing the list price. Etc.
At half price, I could not resist. I got it yesterday and it looks brand new, no cosmetic flaws whatsoever. Plastic bag holding cables was sealed as new. Pads sparkling new. Both channels perfectly balanced.

I'll just call it the best deal I ever got on a flagship.

Dec 22, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #522 of 907
At half price, I could not resist. I got it yesterday and it looks brand new, no cosmetic flaws whatsoever. Plastic bag holding cables was sealed as new. Pads sparkling new. Both channels perfectly balanced.

I'll just call it the best deal I ever got on a flagship.

I'd call it finally the right price for what was overpriced.

Dec 23, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #524 of 907
I'd call it finally the right price for what was overpriced.
Overpriced, perhaps. But this deal is actually nuts, relative to the retail of other models... It's cheaper than the X is currently (outside the creators package). I got my X for $1499CAD in July, that was with free shipping and no tax (thanks Amazon). The X is still $2399CAD + $311 tax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back