Audeze LCD-MX4
Feb 12, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #242 of 907
Could you please give us more info about this impression? You wrote that Mx4 are smoother and brighter than lcdx. When you said brighter do you mean detailed without harshing?

I had tested LCD4 the other day an I feel a great combination of smooth and realistic voices and chords, combined with bright and detailed sounds.

Are you describing something similar?
Thanks!

Yes, how you are describing the 4 is how I heard the MX4. The MX4 had crystal clear and smooth treble, so by bright I just mean that it is more extended than the X.

Sorry for the hold up on my extended impressions. Been a lot of things going on, but I'll should have them posted here soon :)

Feb 12, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #243 of 907
Yes, how you are describing the 4 is how I heard the MX4. The MX4 had crystal clear and smooth treble, so by bright I just mean that it is more extended than the X.

Sorry for the hold up on my extended impressions. Been a lot of things going on, but I'll should have them posted here soon :)

Your comment put me a little bit nervous :-D
I am more excited than ever waiting to test MX4 and to read your full review.

Thanks!

Feb 19, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #244 of 907
Did my first critical listen with the MX4 and the LCD 2, an honestly I did it with TV, something I've never seen so no losses, heck I'm streaming at that

An despite the less than ideal listening conditions there's a clarity an openness of the MX4, still intimate in a sense but... a great deal of openness, clarity and depth, it's everything you'd expect from a flag ship Audeze, clarity, speed, and airy sense of space coupled with amazing depth but an almost always present intimacy. It's not as wide as the HD 800 but it doesn't need to be

Switching to my preFazor LCD 2, the mid range dip is a little apparent, not nearly as bad as the 2014 Fazor I heard previously, but I can't say I've noticed it before, though I don't really watch TV with my LCD 2, still the only improvements offered by the LCD 2 are in the deepest lows, the subtlest of sub notes are just a little more vivid on the LCD 2, but some notes are too much. There's also a thickness... a sense of body a sense of from the chest heft on the LCD 2, in contrast to the sharper edge and highlighted presence of the MX4. Now detail and openness are always second best, always just ALMOST there but never quite there... Though again this is all with Low Res Stuff, later tonight and tomorrow I'll dip into the High Res stuff for sure,

An listening to the LCD 2 I'm always reminded of what could be, I wish for just a bit MORE openness, more air, more space and I know it can be done... that said given my experience even with less than ideal stuff it's clear that Audeze did in fact hit the nail on the head with this product as it pulls an amazing amount of detail even from such low res stuff

Now when I switch to High Res Files, I imagine the gap might close a little, but the ease of use in driving this couple'd with it's presentation make it a real winner! Speaking of presentation, it's not what we or I associate with the LCD 2, it's not intimate bucket's of honey with clarity. Rather I feel it in terms of sound signature it compares more the HD 800 and Focal Clear an I'm intently curious to see how it compares to those 2 and LCD 2 on High Res material

Feb 19, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #245 of 907
Does anyone have an opinion on the age-old question as it pertains to the MX4's, namely: copper or silver?

An I'd go silver, my HE 4 is the only thing I have that's presentation fast/textured/tactile enough to benefit from Copper and people seem to like it. Aside from it and anything like it [like a PS2000E] I'd go with silver, I like silver on my HD 800 and I'll likely like silver on this. Sadly though I have to send it out before I get my Silver Audeze Style Cable :/ but based on it's presentation I'd go silver

As for the LCD 2 I still haven't decided what mat I like for it <.<

Feb 19, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #246 of 907
based on it's presentation I'd go silver

Okay thanks!, that's food for thought...

I actually have the MX4's on the way and have a spare Wywires Red (copper) cable I'm going to get re-terminated to use with them, so hopefully in a couple weeks I'll have something worth reporting on that combination...

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #247 of 907
Okay thanks!, that's food for thought...

I actually have the MX4's on the way and have a Wywires Red (copper) cable I'm going to get re-terminated to use with them, so hopefully in a couple weeks I'll have something worth reporting on that combination...

I have a feeling you'll be blown away :)

LCD-MX4 is still amazing as ever, I am trying to wear the wow effect a bit so I can start giving more impressions on its sound, besides that it sounds amazing :)

Feb 19, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #248 of 907
I have a feeling you'll be blown away :)

LCD-MX4 is still amazing as ever, I am trying to wear the wow effect a bit so I can start giving more impressions on its sound, besides that it sounds amazing :)

Right! It's very good, I swapped back to it for yet another episode and frankly... the LCD 2s bass just sounds... a little thuddy sadly, but the MX4s vocals are still kinda thin but not as withdrawn as the LCD 2... ugh and the detail! The top end is simply awesome

Feb 19, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #249 of 907
Right! It's very good, I swapped back to it for yet another episode and frankly... the LCD 2s bass just sounds... a little thuddy sadly, but the MX4s vocals are still kinda thin but not as withdrawn as the LCD 2... ugh and the detail! The top end is simply awesome

Ok so I couldn't resist, I went ahead an watched another episode with the HD 800, and detail wise it's on par with the MX4, just as much air but better sense of wdith. Bass is nice too, it's got that little touch of rumble the LCD 2 has with the same level of detail an texture as the MX4, it's not as powerful as the MX4. Re listening to it... it convey's a sense of power on par with my HE 4 but with way more clarity,

Now the mid range is interesting... the HD 800 is thicker, not LCD 2 thick, not nearly, but there's more body. An equal amounts of clarity, now the two share a similar top end as well, with the MX4 a little drier and the HD 800 just a touch sweeter, though this could just be a difference in the tubes. I do believe in running each headphone volume matched out of what I feel is an optimized amp. I keep my Ember II for Planars with a newly upgraded Psvane tube and my re-capped SET for my dynamics

So that aside, I'm able to live with my lowly HD 800 an LCD 2 it would seem, I do feel the MX4 has the potential to replace both depending on what your preference is, an you could also have something like the MX4 compliment the HD 800 or serve a super straight forward home away from home headphone, as it works very well even with very little output and still has a little bit of the best of both... it's very much like the HD 800 mixed with the LCD 2, but is drier than both. Non the less, I'd still pair it with silver and maybe swap to a thicker sounding tube amp, or if your going Solid State, than copper would likely be nice

Now here's a thought, what's cool about the Ember II is that you can change how it operates, and change the sound. I run with the Input attenuation removed but I do NOT bypass the input cap and resistor, but if you do you get a more "pure" circuit or signal path and this does add a nice sweetness. So while I prefer the driver signal path for my LCD 2 I can sweeten up the amp for the MX4 without changing the tube either, so that's nice

An now for my final episode let's see how the Focal Clear compares!

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #250 of 907
An now for my final episode let's see how the Focal Clear compares!

Right off the bat, I have to admit out of all today's contenders the Focal Clear dominates in it's vocal presentation, it has just the right mix of everything specific to vocals, good edge, good thickness, nice body, a touch echo and amazing texture, an that's really it, detail is sufficient, the bass is good but there's a mid bass hump it's non invasive but still apparent, it adds a nice touch of thickness and umph on the bottom end, but doesn't quite compete with the Planars or the HD 800 overall, so top and bottom end it's not as competitive as it could or should be, and in the mid range it's one of the best purely in terms of timbre and only the best in detail specific to the vocal range, for me though it just leaves too much on the table. I guess I'm just not a fan of the Focal Sound with the exception of the Utopia, as for me the Utopia is the only Focal that's... balanced enough to be worth while. There's an intimate almost vocal emphasize'd presentation in all of the lower end models, and then there's the bass hump, it's just not for me

Compared to all the open backs I own it does nothing worse, only different. An I suppose if I had to pick a single headphone it would likely be worthwhile but the question that remains is how does the Utopia compare to the MX4... hopefully I'll get a chance to visit that one day, for now I can say the MX4 is well worth it's price imo.

Feb 19, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #251 of 907
Did my first critical listen with the MX4 and the LCD 2, an honestly I did it with TV, something I've never seen so no losses, heck I'm streaming at that

An despite the less than ideal listening conditions there's a clarity an openness of the MX4, still intimate in a sense but... a great deal of openness, clarity and depth, it's everything you'd expect from a flag ship Audeze, clarity, speed, and airy sense of space coupled with amazing depth but an almost always present intimacy. It's not as wide as the HD 800 but it doesn't need to be

Switching to my preFazor LCD 2, the mid range dip is a little apparent, not nearly as bad as the 2014 Fazor I heard previously, but I can't say I've noticed it before, though I don't really watch TV with my LCD 2, still the only improvements offered by the LCD 2 are in the deepest lows, the subtlest of sub notes are just a little more vivid on the LCD 2, but some notes are too much. There's also a thickness... a sense of body a sense of from the chest heft on the LCD 2, in contrast to the sharper edge and highlighted presence of the MX4. Now detail and openness are always second best, always just ALMOST there but never quite there... Though again this is all with Low Res Stuff, later tonight and tomorrow I'll dip into the High Res stuff for sure,

An listening to the LCD 2 I'm always reminded of what could be, I wish for just a bit MORE openness, more air, more space and I know it can be done... that said given my experience even with less than ideal stuff it's clear that Audeze did in fact hit the nail on the head with this product as it pulls an amazing amount of detail even from such low res stuff

Now when I switch to High Res Files, I imagine the gap might close a little, but the ease of use in driving this couple'd with it's presentation make it a real winner! Speaking of presentation, it's not what we or I associate with the LCD 2, it's not intimate bucket's of honey with clarity. Rather I feel it in terms of sound signature it compares more the HD 800 and Focal Clear an I'm intently curious to see how it compares to those 2 and LCD 2 on High Res material

Well said.

Feb 20, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #253 of 907
An listening to the LCD 2 I'm always reminded of what could be, I wish for just a bit MORE openness, more air, more space and I know it can be done... that said given my experience even with less than ideal stuff it's clear that Audeze did in fact hit the nail on the head with this product as it pulls an amazing amount of detail even from such low res stuff...

Well said agree it was reason why I sold LCD2 in past, I think even LCDX solved this problems what you wished from LCD2.

Feb 20, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #254 of 907
I auditioned the MX4's at the local shop, though only for about half and hour and under less-than-ideal conditions, so my impressions were only half-formed, but are in line with what you describe. How the MX4's fare compared to the LCD-X's are my primary concern. Looking forward to your review...

What did they use to drive them in the store?

Not surprised by this. I used to own the 600i and it's very clean and neutral sounding. Not an optimal match with the MX4 in my opinion.

What kind of source would be good if not clean and neutral? Really curious about these headphones.

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #255 of 907
What did they use to drive them in the store?
At the shop, it was driven thru a iDSD Micro Black Label as the DAC connected to a iFi Pro iCAN. Both the amp and the headphones were fresh out of the box. The MX4's sounded immediately nicely tonally balanced to my ear, and I liked the midrange a lot for its smoothness. They sounded nice and open, and detail seemed very good, but there was too much ambient noise in the place (they always have the radio or whatever playing at Audio46 in NY, go figure).

Anyway, my impressions were favorable enough that I eventually started an order on them. So long as they offer a meaningful improvement on the LCD-X's over the long-term, I think I'll be happy. I'm generally going for a nice (planar) second 'primary' headphone to play along-side my Utopias, but that are a little less intense for extended listening and just a shade less bright...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back