Audeze LCD-MX4
Jan 31, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #226 of 907
Any comparisons with the LCD-X? This was the last Audeze I owned.

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #227 of 907

I had a early production LCD-X and really loved it. Still the best bass I've heard from any Audeze headphone. It just had this weight to it that was hard to beat. The MX4 is much more balanced and cohesive sounding. Treble definitely extends higher then the X and isn't as etched/peaky as I remember it. Also the midrange was a little wonky in the X. Didn't really find any complaints with the MX4's midrange. Bass quantity and slam definitely were better with the X. Quality wise the MX4 probably won and I think it extended down further than the X, although I'm not positive on this.

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #228 of 907
Thank you. Much appreciated. I liked the LCD-X sound (all the LCD's I've heard, actually) but could not live with the weight. This is what makes the MX4 so appealing.....a potential improvement in sound and lighter on the noggin.

Feb 1, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #229 of 907
Just recieved the Questyle CMA600i. Hit and a Miss, LCD-MX4 sounds closed in and harsh out of this amp. All is not lost, my LCD-3s sound amazing out of it. What are you guys pairing the MX4s with? So far the Chord Mojo is the best pairing I have heard.

Feb 1, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #230 of 907
Just recieved the Questyle CMA600i. Hit and a Miss, LCD-MX4 sounds closed in and harsh out of this amp. All is not lost, my LCD-3s sound amazing out of it. What are you guys pairing the MX4s with? So far the Chord Mojo is the best pairing I have heard.
How odd. I wonder if it has to do with the increased sensitivity of the LCD-MX4?

Feb 1, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #231 of 907

I've been fortunate enough to be able to participate in The Source AV's MX4 tour. So, I have the MX4 and my LCD-X (the version before the driver change) right here, running from Yggy to tubed Mjolnir 2's balanced out. I plan to post a more comprehensive review after I've sent the MX4 to the next person, but for now I'll say that the very first thing I thought when I put on the MX4 was how much smoother it sounded compared to the LCD-X. I think the LCD-X is a great headphone, but I'd always felt that it sounded a little dry, ever so slightly grainy, and occasionally shouty. The MX4, on the other hand, to me, sounds more organic and realistic, super smooth and silky, despite being brighter than the X. It may be that the X has a bit more bass, but the MX4 is in no way lacking. It goes deep, rumbles, and has some serious slam. I've been listening to quite a bit of bass heavy electronic and hip-hop, and I haven't felt like I need more bass, and I'm a closeted basshead :). I know some of this is in contrast to what others have said, but maybe it's a matter of synergy with the chain? Anyway, I guess I feel like the MX4 improves on everything that makes X great, and then fixes some of its issues. Of course, this is just my experience, and I've only been listening to the MX4 for about week, so, as usual, YMMV :)

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #232 of 907

Maybe you're driving it too much (?)

I use Hugo 2 and TT and no problems with it.

Feb 1, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #234 of 907
Time for MX-4 then? lol
Would love to but not worth it. Price is $4000 in Canada, and when you tack on the HST, it's $4500. I could get a used SR-009 for that.

Feb 1, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #235 of 907

Not surprised by this. I used to own the 600i and it's very clean and neutral sounding. Not an optimal match with the MX4 in my opinion.

Feb 10, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #238 of 907
the very first thing I thought when I put on the MX4 was how much smoother it sounded compared to the LCD-X. I think the LCD-X is a great headphone, but I'd always felt that it sounded a little dry, ever so slightly grainy, and occasionally shouty. The MX4, on the other hand, to me, sounds more organic and realistic, super smooth and silky, despite being brighter than the X. It may be that the X has a bit more bass, but the MX4 is in no way lacking. It goes deep, rumbles, and has some serious slam.

I auditioned the MX4's at the local shop, though only for about half and hour and under less-than-ideal conditions, so my impressions were only half-formed, but are in line with what you describe. How the MX4's fare compared to the LCD-X's are my primary concern. Looking forward to your review...

Feb 10, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #239 of 907
I as well . Looking for a few more impressions.

Feb 11, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #240 of 907
The MX4, on the other hand, to me, sounds more organic and realistic, super smooth and silky, despite being brighter than the X.

Could you please give us more info about this impression? You wrote that Mx4 are smoother and brighter than lcdx. When you said brighter do you mean detailed without harshing?

I had tested LCD4 the other day an I feel a great combination of smooth and realistic voices and chords, combined with bright and detailed sounds.

Are you describing something similar?
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back