Audeze LCD-MX4
Feb 20, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #256 of 907
Well said agree it was reason why I sold LCD2 in past, I think even LCDX solved this problems what you wished from LCD2.
true but having heard an X extensively over the weekend out at Moon Audio, I can't say the X is enough of an improvement to compete with the HD 800, the LCD 2 is different enough even with it's flaw's to merit a part in my collection

Really the MX4 and likely the LCD 4 it self, seem to be the drivers that are competitive and worthwhile enough upgrades from an HD 800/LCD 2 combo

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #257 of 907
What did they use to drive them in the store?

What kind of source would be good if not clean and neutral? Really curious about these headphones.

At least for me, I felt a warmer chain paired better with the MX4. I didn't have a tube amp that would drive them, but I could see tubes being a good match for them.

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #258 of 907
At least for me, I felt a warmer chain paired better with the MX4. I didn't have a tube amp that would drive them, but I could see tubes being a good match for them.
I did all of my impressions with a Hybrid Tube and it was quite nice, though the iFi Audio iCan SE is a very warm solid state, it too would likely pair well tonally

Feb 20, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #259 of 907
true but having heard an X extensively over the weekend out at Moon Audio, I can't say the X is enough of an improvement to compete with the HD 800, the LCD 2 is different enough even with it's flaw's to merit a part in my collection

Really the MX4 and likely the LCD 4 it self, seem to be the drivers that are competitive and worthwhile enough upgrades from an HD 800/LCD 2 combo

It depends. My LCD2 was one of the first version (I am sure darker than current fazor version), sound was with some recordings thicker darker so neutral colder system was needed etc..LCDX still Audeze house sound but I never felt that something was muddy or never felt lack of energy, LCDX in my opinion for current creator special price $1200 is fair great deal. HD800 technicaly clearly better headphone of course but for my taste is better LCDX it is much more versatile acros many genres, also better balance for my taste.
Never heard 4/MX4, Audeze have big potencial to future, but prices for top models mm well I am a little sad with current trend, it is shame.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #260 of 907
I did all of my impressions with a Hybrid Tube and it was quite nice, though the iFi Audio iCan SE is a very warm solid state, it too would likely pair well tonally

Thanks for the input guys! I might get my hands on em soon and I'll source roll with what I have. :D

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #261 of 907
Apologies for taking so long to post my impression on the MX4, but between the whole family getting the flu and several deadlines at work, it was hard to find time to do much else :)

First, I’d like to thank Jason and Alan from the Source AV and Audeze for giving me the opportunity to participate in the MX4 loaner tour. I was fortunate enough to enjoy the MX4 for about a week and a half, giving me a decent amount of time to become accustomed to it’s sound, and how it compares to my LCD-X, LCD-2C, Sony MDR-Z1R, and Campfire Lyra 2. My chain is Tidal Hifi -> Schiit Yggdrasil balanced out -> Schiit Mjolnir 2 (with tubes) -> balanced out to all headphones. For reference I have previously owned the following: Grado GS1000, AKG K702, AKG K550, STAX SR507, STAX 007Mk2, LCD-2rev2, TH-600, TH-X00, TH-900, and maybe some others I can’t remember. Anyway, without further ado, here are my thoughts on the MX4.

I went into this extremely interested in the MX4, but as I tend to prefer a slightly darker sound and am somewhat of a basshead, I suspected I wouldn’t like them due to descriptions of them being bass lite and bright. However, the very first thing I noticed is just how silky smooth they sounded. Not thick and creamy like the pre-favor LCD2s, but just a very full-bodied, liquid sound, without any harshness. That smooth but engaging sound, in and of itself, grabbed me right way and I knew I was going to enjoy the MX4.

As I said, I’d heard the MX4 described as being bass lite, so I decided I’d start with some bass heavy electronic music to see how they fared. In particular, I listened to Ruffhouse Straight 9’s, which features driving kick drums, a rumbling bassline, and snappy high-hats. To my surprise, I felt MX4 had the best bass out of the bunch. It hit hard, had texture, and went just as deep, if not deeper, than the other headphones on hand. In comparison, the X seemed to hit a bit softer but was maybe fuller sounding, the 2C may have had slightly more bass but it was not as tight, and the Z1R had similar slam but bled into the lower mids. With regards to the highs, the high-hats were a little too sharp with the X and Z1R, but seemed less piercing with the MX4, despite the MX4 having more extended treble.

As another bass check, I tried out a subwoofer bass test somebody posted in the LCD2C thread (http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php). Each headphone was able to go all the way down, but again to my surprise the MX4 seemed to go the lowest, sounded the biggest, and had the most tactile rumble. This trend of finding the MX4 had the best bass leads me to believe that the MX4 isn’t bass lite per se, but that the extended high end and more forward mids keep the emphasis away from the bass, and so during tracks the MX4 may sound relatively basslite, but it’s really just that it’s more balanced. Hope that makes sense.

I switched over to Jeff Buckley’s Hallelujah and Jimi Hendrix’s Red House to get a better sense of how the MX4 handles mids and real instruments. Again, I was struck by how liquid the MX4 sounds, with the guitar and vocals sounding so smooth and realistic. Honestly, this was one of those times I felt like I wasn’t listening to headphones, not because it was some sort of out-of-body soundstage teleportation thing, but just because everything sounded so natural and cohesive. My only issue with these songs was I had to turn down the volume during the climax of Hallelujah, when Jeff Buckley really starts to let loose. I don’t know if this was because I was really listening too loud, or if this was due to the MX4 emphasizing some frequency.

As far as soundstage goes, I think the X and MX4 were pretty similar, although the MX4 seemed to have more equal ratio of width to height. At the very beginning of Nils Frahm’s The Whole Universe Wants to Be Touched, somebody walks from right to left across the stage, and with both headphones it sounded like the person was out to the left of my head by the time they stopped. In The Haxan Cloak’s Excavation (Part 1) there is this electronic sound that circles around the listener, and again for both headphones it seemed like it was going in a perfect circle around my neck (weird, i know).

I have to be honest, as the week went on, I stopped taking notes because I just kept having the same observations over and over again. The MX4 has a smooth, liquid, full-bodied sound, is cohesive and balanced, is most extended on both ends of the frequency spectrum, and is very dynamic. No frequency really stood out, it just sounded natural. In comparison, the other Audezes sounded grainier, darker, mildly recessed, and more closed in. From memory, I don’t think the MX4 is brighter than my old 507, and I’ve never heard the HD800, so it’s hard for me to say if the MX4 is a bright headphone, or just that it is brighter than my other, darker, headphones. Generally speaking, I don’t think there was anything the other headphones did better than the MX4. Maybe similar performance in some areas, but not better.

A few other odds and ends. As far as comfort goes, the Z1R is the most comfortable. I have the carbon fiber headband on my X, and so the Audeze all had similar levels of comfort, despite the differences in weight. The suspension headbands really do work wonders. To my surprise, I actually prefer the pleather earpads on the 2C, maybe just due to the smoother texture. The clamp on all 3 is pretty strong, but i think loosest on the 2C. Out of the 3 Audeze, I found the 2C most comfortable.

The case of the MX4 is HUGE, much larger than the one my X came in. It’s a bit harder to get the headphone into, as the area for the headband is much more narrow, and so I prefer the smaller case. The MX4 doesn’t come with a balanced cable, which I was disappointed to see, given the cost of these headphones. Finally, I don’t know where else to put this, but I feel like I should mention that my wife, who couldn’t care less about headphones, said she preferred the Z1R over the MX4, although she couldn’t put her finger on why. Just putting that out there :)

Clearly, I think the MX4 are great!!!! I’m very surprised the MX4 doesn’t get more attention, but maybe it’s because it’s in an odd spot in the lineup, where it’s so much more expensive than the X that many won’t consider it, and those who can afford the MX4 will probably skip it and get the 4? Or maybe some audiophiles are turned off by it sold as a studio headphone? I don’t know, but hopefully the MX4 starts getting more attention.

My major complaint with the MX4 is that they are just so expensive! I think it’s unfortunate that headphones prices have gotten to where they are now. But I guess these are the times we live in, where 3K is an acceptable price for headphones. It’s too much for me though, as I’d have to sell off all of my headphones to be able to afford them. Even though I think the MX4 is better than each of my other headphones, I’m not I sure I’m ready to part with all of them. Guess I just like having different flavors :) Although, having said all of that, I am still considering selling them to get the MX4 haha! So, my only real complaint about the MX4 is the price.

If you can swing it, are trying to decide between the X and MX4, want an upgrade from the X but can’t afford the LCD4, or want one well rounded and excellent headphone, I think the MX4 is a great option. I think only those who want a headphone with accentuated bass, or are totally averse to treble, won't enjoy the MX4. For me though, I give the MX4 two thumbs up!!!

Feb 21, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #263 of 907
Apologies for taking so long to post my impression on the MX4, but between the whole family getting the flu and several deadlines at work, it was hard to find time to do much else :)

First, I’d like to thank Jason and Alan from the Source AV and Audeze for giving me the opportunity to participate in the MX4 loaner tour. I was fortunate enough to enjoy the MX4 for about a week and a half, giving me a decent amount of time to become accustomed to it’s sound, and how it compares to my LCD-X, LCD-2C, Sony MDR-Z1R, and Campfire Lyra 2. My chain is Tidal Hifi -> Schiit Yggdrasil balanced out -> Schiit Mjolnir 2 (with tubes) -> balanced out to all headphones. For reference I have previously owned the following: Grado GS1000, AKG K702, AKG K550, STAX SR507, STAX 007Mk2, LCD-2rev2, TH-600, TH-X00, TH-900, and maybe some others I can’t remember. Anyway, without further ado, here are my thoughts on the MX4.

I went into this extremely interested in the MX4, but as I tend to prefer a slightly darker sound and am somewhat of a basshead, I suspected I wouldn’t like them due to descriptions of them being bass lite and bright. However, the very first thing I noticed is just how silky smooth they sounded. Not thick and creamy like the pre-favor LCD2s, but just a very full-bodied, liquid sound, without any harshness. That smooth but engaging sound, in and of itself, grabbed me right way and I knew I was going to enjoy the MX4.

As I said, I’d heard the MX4 described as being bass lite, so I decided I’d start with some bass heavy electronic music to see how they fared. In particular, I listened to Ruffhouse Straight 9’s, which features driving kick drums, a rumbling bassline, and snappy high-hats. To my surprise, I felt MX4 had the best bass out of the bunch. It hit hard, had texture, and went just as deep, if not deeper, than the other headphones on hand. In comparison, the X seemed to hit a bit softer but was maybe fuller sounding, the 2C may have had slightly more bass but it was not as tight, and the Z1R had similar slam but bled into the lower mids. With regards to the highs, the high-hats were a little too sharp with the X and Z1R, but seemed less piercing with the MX4, despite the MX4 having more extended treble.

As another bass check, I tried out a subwoofer bass test somebody posted in the LCD2C thread (http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php). Each headphone was able to go all the way down, but again to my surprise the MX4 seemed to go the lowest, sounded the biggest, and had the most tactile rumble. This trend of finding the MX4 had the best bass leads me to believe that the MX4 isn’t bass lite per se, but that the extended high end and more forward mids keep the emphasis away from the bass, and so during tracks the MX4 may sound relatively basslite, but it’s really just that it’s more balanced. Hope that makes sense.

I switched over to Jeff Buckley’s Hallelujah and Jimi Hendrix’s Red House to get a better sense of how the MX4 handles mids and real instruments. Again, I was struck by how liquid the MX4 sounds, with the guitar and vocals sounding so smooth and realistic. Honestly, this was one of those times I felt like I wasn’t listening to headphones, not because it was some sort of out-of-body soundstage teleportation thing, but just because everything sounded so natural and cohesive. My only issue with these songs was I had to turn down the volume during the climax of Hallelujah, when Jeff Buckley really starts to let loose. I don’t know if this was because I was really listening too loud, or if this was due to the MX4 emphasizing some frequency.

As far as soundstage goes, I think the X and MX4 were pretty similar, although the MX4 seemed to have more equal ratio of width to height. At the very beginning of Nils Frahm’s The Whole Universe Wants to Be Touched, somebody walks from right to left across the stage, and with both headphones it sounded like the person was out to the left of my head by the time they stopped. In The Haxan Cloak’s Excavation (Part 1) there is this electronic sound that circles around the listener, and again for both headphones it seemed like it was going in a perfect circle around my neck (weird, i know).

I have to be honest, as the week went on, I stopped taking notes because I just kept having the same observations over and over again. The MX4 has a smooth, liquid, full-bodied sound, is cohesive and balanced, is most extended on both ends of the frequency spectrum, and is very dynamic. No frequency really stood out, it just sounded natural. In comparison, the other Audezes sounded grainier, darker, mildly recessed, and more closed in. From memory, I don’t think the MX4 is brighter than my old 507, and I’ve never heard the HD800, so it’s hard for me to say if the MX4 is a bright headphone, or just that it is brighter than my other, darker, headphones. Generally speaking, I don’t think there was anything the other headphones did better than the MX4. Maybe similar performance in some areas, but not better.

A few other odds and ends. As far as comfort goes, the Z1R is the most comfortable. I have the carbon fiber headband on my X, and so the Audeze all had similar levels of comfort, despite the differences in weight. The suspension headbands really do work wonders. To my surprise, I actually prefer the pleather earpads on the 2C, maybe just due to the smoother texture. The clamp on all 3 is pretty strong, but i think loosest on the 2C. Out of the 3 Audeze, I found the 2C most comfortable.

The case of the MX4 is HUGE, much larger than the one my X came in. It’s a bit harder to get the headphone into, as the area for the headband is much more narrow, and so I prefer the smaller case. The MX4 doesn’t come with a balanced cable, which I was disappointed to see, given the cost of these headphones. Finally, I don’t know where else to put this, but I feel like I should mention that my wife, who couldn’t care less about headphones, said she preferred the Z1R over the MX4, although she couldn’t put her finger on why. Just putting that out there :)

Clearly, I think the MX4 are great!!!! I’m very surprised the MX4 doesn’t get more attention, but maybe it’s because it’s in an odd spot in the lineup, where it’s so much more expensive than the X that many won’t consider it, and those who can afford the MX4 will probably skip it and get the 4? Or maybe some audiophiles are turned off by it sold as a studio headphone? I don’t know, but hopefully the MX4 starts getting more attention.

My major complaint with the MX4 is that they are just so expensive! I think it’s unfortunate that headphones prices have gotten to where they are now. But I guess these are the times we live in, where 3K is an acceptable price for headphones. It’s too much for me though, as I’d have to sell off all of my headphones to be able to afford them. Even though I think the MX4 is better than each of my other headphones, I’m not I sure I’m ready to part with all of them. Guess I just like having different flavors :) Although, having said all of that, I am still considering selling them to get the MX4 haha! So, my only real complaint about the MX4 is the price.

If you can swing it, are trying to decide between the X and MX4, want an upgrade from the X but can’t afford the LCD4, or want one well rounded and excellent headphone, I think the MX4 is a great option. I think only those who want a headphone with accentuated bass, or are totally averse to treble, won't enjoy the MX4. For me though, I give the MX4 two thumbs up!!!
I'm surprised as are you, that more people aren't jumping on this HP. I could see myself being able to swing it if I were of a mind to part with what I have, living without headphones 'till I could get a set. And the impedance would make it easier for my H2 to drive. The LCD-4 is way too expensive to justify, for me.

Feb 23, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #265 of 907
I have not heard the LCD-4 but if the MX4 sounds similar to it then COUNT ME OUT of ever owning a LCD-4. I have a Mojo going into a Questyle 600i powering the LCD-3. The MX4 sounds like CRAP compared to an LCD-3 properly driven. MX4= Smaller sound stage, muffled narrow Mids, flat boring Bass. The only thing I think that this has going for it is the EFFICIENCY. This is not Audeze's "signature" sound that I've come to expect from the LCD2,X,3. I guess I just "wanted" it to sound better at first, changed my mind. MX4 is DEAD ON ARRIVAL.

Feb 23, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #266 of 907
I have not heard the LCD-4 but if the MX4 sounds similar to it then COUNT ME OUT of ever owning a LCD-4. I have a Mojo going into a Questyle 600i powering the LCD-3. The MX4 sounds like CRAP compared to an LCD-3 properly driven. MX4= Smaller sound stage, muffled narrow Mids, flat boring Bass. The only thing I think that this has going for it is the EFFICIENCY. This is not Audeze's "signature" sound that I've come to expect from the LCD2,X,3. I guess I just "wanted" it to sound better at first, changed my mind. MX4 is DEAD ON ARRIVAL.
Can you offer more details? Did you hear it in a store, or did you have it at home to A/B with the 3 on your own gear?

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #268 of 907
I seriously considered purchasing the new Audeze MX4 ... I have decided NOT to get the Audeze MX4 for now.

I learned while attending the recent NYC CANJAM that the new MX4 headphones have design tradeoffs intended for the ‘PRO’ (studio mix/mastering) market.

The MX4’s diaphragm metallization (to achieve low 20 ohm impedance) is perhaps ten times more massive than the older audiophile LCD-4. It's reasonable to assume that thickness of the metal conductors deposited on the diaphragm primarily determines the total moving mass the diaphragm.

Compared to the LCD-4, the MX4 sacrifices resolution & fidelity for high efficiency. I understood that this was the design tradeoff to attain high efficiency for the PRO market -- as explained by the Audeze rep at CanJAM. The 'PRO' studio mix-mastering consoles lack the power to properly drive the original LCD-4 headphones --- so the MX4 was created.

IMO, MX4 is not intended by Audeze to be an audiophile headphone.

If the new 30% lighter MX4 only had the same ultra-lightweight diaphragm of the older LCD-4 (200 ohm impedance), then my buying decision would have been a 'no-brainer' !!!

Feb 26, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #269 of 907
I seriously considered purchasing the new Audeze MX4 ... I have decided NOT to get the Audeze MX4 for now.

I learned while attending the recent NYC CANJAM that the new MX4 headphones have design tradeoffs intended for the ‘PRO’ (studio mix/mastering) market.

The MX4’s diaphragm metallization (to achieve low 20 ohm impedance) is perhaps ten times more massive than the older audiophile LCD-4. It's reasonable to assume that thickness of the metal conductors deposited on the diaphragm primarily determines the total moving mass the diaphragm.

Compared to the LCD-4, the MX4 sacrifices resolution & fidelity for high efficiency. I understood that this was the design tradeoff to attain high efficiency for the PRO market -- as explained by the Audeze rep at CanJAM. The 'PRO' studio mix-mastering consoles lack the power to properly drive the original LCD-4 headphones --- so the MX4 was created.

If the new 30% lighter MX4 only had the same ultra-lightweight diaphragm of the older LCD-4 (200 ohm impedance), then my buying decision would have been a 'no-brainer' !!!
Aww, sad to hear Bill.

Feb 26, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #270 of 907

That is quite interesting to hear!

I'll have a chance to compare LCD-MX4 to LCD-4 with a friend who owns both soon, so I'll be able to know directly what the sonic differences are.

We'll probably be using different sources as well, which might add to the user error, but that isn't the direct issue here, since LCD-MX4 is meant to be portable, while LCD-4 is meant to be more of a desktop headphone :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back