Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Nov 17, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #4,471 of 4,795
Computer >> WA11 Topaz >> LCD i4 is where I'm at now. I can change it up.
Nice chain! I'd try some EQ like others suggested. I'm not a huge fan of eq but it can get you where you want to be.

Nov 17, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #4,472 of 4,795
Computer >> WA11 Topaz >> LCD i4 is where I'm at now. I can change it up. I can also engage the Audeze plug-in inside of Roon to see if it helps.
That would be a start as it should follow the Cipher cable tuning if you didn't get them with yours.

Nov 17, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #4,473 of 4,795
I picked up a pair of these at the b-stock sale-- and they sound... disappointing. I'm hearing small peaks all over the midrange. Narrow peaks that give the IEM a honk at certain frequencies. I'm not sure I'm getting a good seal. I think foam eartips may do better, but the bore is too large for any of my Dekoni Bulletz to fit. I'm going a/b with these headphones with the 7Hz Timeless and they're getting smoked. The Timeless sounds smoother and faster-- with better bass response. Am I missing something? I've used the silicon tips and the ribbed tips-- I'll spend more time with them today, but I'm concerned. I'm a huge Audeze fan. I own the LCD-4, LCD-5, and CRBN. I don't want to dismiss these quickly, but they need to get better.
They need EQ to sound their best. The i4’s are somewhat enjoyable on their own, but with EQ they become something no standard IEM can match.

Nov 17, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #4,474 of 4,795
I picked up a pair of these at the b-stock sale-- and they sound... disappointing. I'm hearing small peaks all over the midrange. Narrow peaks that give the IEM a honk at certain frequencies. I'm not sure I'm getting a good seal. I think foam eartips may do better, but the bore is too large for any of my Dekoni Bulletz to fit. I'm going a/b with these headphones with the 7Hz Timeless and they're getting smoked. The Timeless sounds smoother and faster-- with better bass response. Am I missing something? I've used the silicon tips and the ribbed tips-- I'll spend more time with them today, but I'm concerned. I'm a huge Audeze fan. I own the LCD-4, LCD-5, and CRBN. I don't want to dismiss these quickly, but they need to get better.
Maybe the Euclid is more for you?

I was torn between these, the i3s, and the Euclid. Eventually went with the Euclid myself.

Nov 17, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #4,475 of 4,795
Computer >> WA11 Topaz >> LCD i4 is where I'm at now. I can change it up. I can also engage the Audeze plug-in inside of Roon to see if it helps.
LCDi4 needs eq imo. On PC, install Equalizer APO and the Audeze Reveal Legacy plugin. Both free. The plugin has the LCDi4 eq profile saved. If you want to further tweak the sound also install Peace GUI.

Nov 17, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #4,476 of 4,795
I picked up a pair of these at the b-stock sale-- and they sound... disappointing. I'm hearing small peaks all over the midrange. Narrow peaks that give the IEM a honk at certain frequencies. I'm not sure I'm getting a good seal. I think foam eartips may do better, but the bore is too large for any of my Dekoni Bulletz to fit. I'm going a/b with these headphones with the 7Hz Timeless and they're getting smoked. The Timeless sounds smoother and faster-- with better bass response. Am I missing something? I've used the silicon tips and the ribbed tips-- I'll spend more time with them today, but I'm concerned. I'm a huge Audeze fan. I own the LCD-4, LCD-5, and CRBN. I don't want to dismiss these quickly, but they need to get better
You could also check out Crinacles EQ profile and use it with Peace. IT changes them from a honky mess to the best in ear I have ever used.

Nov 17, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #4,478 of 4,795
You could also check out Crinacles EQ profile and use it with Peace. IT changes them from a honky mess to the best in ear I have ever used.
I've been messing with EQs and I turned the Audeze plugin i4 preset in Roon. They got better-- for sure. I still think the Timeless sounds faster through decay, smoother and more extended through the bass, and more intimate in the mids, plus they're a whole lot more comfortable. But at least the i4's are listenable now-- a bit warmer than the Timeless. I'll play with more eq settings to see if I can make further improvements-- basically look like you need to do a huge dip at 1k and a hefty push around 4k, then dial in the bass and treble to your liking. That's one massive eq shift to get these things sounding OK.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #4,479 of 4,795
I've been messing with EQs and I turned the Audeze plugin i4 preset in Roon. They got better-- for sure. I still think the Timeless sounds faster through decay, smoother and more extended through the bass, and more intimate in the mids, plus they're a whole lot more comfortable. But at least the i4's are listenable now-- a bit warmer than the Timeless. I'll play with more eq settings to see if I can make further improvements-- basically look like you need to do a huge dip at 1k and a hefty push around 4k, then dial in the bass and treble to your liking. That's one massive eq shift to get these things sounding OK.
If feel like there is an understanding that EQ comes along with these headphones. I’m not sure why they no longer provide the cipher cable but given the used to give it to you with the purchase and it has the DSP built in. I have always taken that as their intention. Same with heaving the EQ in reveal available. The i4 were (don’t know about still are) the lowest distortion driver on the market and so they are essentially made for EQ. Unfortunate that it is the case but to get to their potential it is basically a requirement which is a shame. To me it still sounds like something is wrong. I had the timeless and none of the categories you mentioned above does the Timeless even touch the i4 particularly when it comes to the bass. I would try grabbing some Spinfit CP155 for wide and long iem nozzles because it doesn’t sound like they are fitting correctly. Although comfort could definitely go to the timeless as the hooks certainly aren’t for everybody and they are quite large but sonically the i4 should be running laps around the timeless especially in terms or soundstage, separation and overall resolution.

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #4,480 of 4,795
The i4 were (don’t know about still are) the lowest distortion driver on the market and so they are essentially made for EQ. Unfortunate that it is the case but to get to their potential it is basically a requirement which is a shame. To me it still sounds like something is wrong. I had the timeless and none of the categories you mentioned above does the Timeless even touch the i4 particularly when it comes to the bass. I would try grabbing some Spinfit CP155 for wide and long iem nozzles because it doesn’t sound like they are fitting correctly.
It may be these things need to burn in some. Just trying to think it through. The bass is thicker on the LCD, but it doesn't have the punch and speed of the Timeless. There's more texture to the bass on the Timeless. I'm going to play with them more-- by God-- I spent the money! LOL. There are worse problems to have, I suppose.

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #4,481 of 4,795
It may be these things need to burn in some. Just trying to think it through. The bass is thicker on the LCD, but it doesn't have the punch and speed of the Timeless. There's more texture to the bass on the Timeless. I'm going to play with them more-- by God-- I spent the money! LOL. There are worse problems to have, I suppose.
Haha that is for sure. Good luck to you! I would definitely give those tips and Crinacles EQ profile a try.

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #4,482 of 4,795
What is the ideal portable/ pairing for these? I have these currently paired with ES100 (also EQ'd) but pretty sure I'm going to grow over it, and would need something with more power. I finally need to raise the bar to feel the depths of The Who by Baba O'Riley. Help!

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #4,483 of 4,795
What is the ideal portable/ pairing for these? I have these currently paired with ES100 (also EQ'd) but pretty sure I'm going to grow over it, and would need something with more power. I finally need to raise the bar to feel the depths of The Who by Baba O'Riley. Help!
I typically use mine at my desktop or running balanced out of my Qudelix but they definitely deserve something better when I am on the go so I am curious as well. Just nice that the Qudelix has the EQ.

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #4,484 of 4,795
I typically use mine at my desktop or running balanced out of my Qudelix but they definitely deserve something better when I am on the go so I am curious as well. Just nice that the Qudelix has the EQ.
True. They most definitely deserve something better. ES100 and Qudelix are almost similar in power. I haven't tried them with desktop, do you feel a massive difference?

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #4,485 of 4,795
True. They most definitely deserve something better. ES100 and Qudelix are almost similar in power. I haven't tried them with desktop, do you feel a massive difference?
Big time. They don’t necessarily need a lot of voltage but they need a lot of current which I don’t think the Qudelix can provide particularly for transients.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back