Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Aug 12, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #4,351 of 4,796
How much power should I be supplying these with realistically?

Audeze has listed >50mW as the minimum power requirement and 500mW RMS as the maximum power handling on the spec sheet.

Strangely enough, they don't list the recommended power level like they do with other headphones.

@Audeze can I get your input?

Aug 15, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #4,352 of 4,796
How much power should I be supplying these with realistically?

Audeze has listed >50mW as the minimum power requirement and 500mW RMS as the maximum power handling on the spec sheet.

Strangely enough, they don't list the recommended power level like they do with other headphones.

@Audeze can I get your input?
It is just as you see by the specs sheet. Find an amplifier that can provide at least 50mw at 32ohm, which should be most anything these days.

With that said, most anything better than a cell phone can drive the LCDi4s, since they're very efficient with a 32 Ohm impedance. Of course the better the source, the better the headphones will sound, so plan accordingly.
As with all things audio, you are the ultimate judge, and we invite you to experiment and find what works best for you.

The more power you have at 32ohm, the more headroom you have. Any decent entry level desktop amp will do well above 1watt at 32ohm, so plenty of headroom. Portable amps, find one that shows rated spec at 32ohm. The more it falls closer to 500mw max, the better. But again, as 50mw minimum, you can power it with mostly anything. Don't overthink it.

Note that recommended specs is mainly for headroom, not the requirement. You'll never reach 500mw with the i4, and you'd disintegrate your ears long before you ever got to that.

You have plenty of people here to with opinions on what sounded good with this headphone, so I welcome you to check the whole thread.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Aug 16, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #4,353 of 4,796
I had to send in my amp to get checked out and was missing my desktop setup and remembered I had these. So nice to have a decent backup.

Aug 22, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #4,355 of 4,796
Early morning session. Bass is out of this universe.
IMG_20220823_092611.jpg

Aug 23, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #4,358 of 4,796
Aug 24, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #4,360 of 4,796
It is just as you see by the specs sheet. Find an amplifier that can provide at least 50mw at 32ohm, which should be most anything these days.

With that said, most anything better than a cell phone can drive the LCDi4s, since they're very efficient with a 32 Ohm impedance. Of course the better the source, the better the headphones will sound, so plan accordingly.
As with all things audio, you are the ultimate judge, and we invite you to experiment and find what works best for you.

The more power you have at 32ohm, the more headroom you have. Any decent entry level desktop amp will do well above 1watt at 32ohm, so plenty of headroom. Portable amps, find one that shows rated spec at 32ohm. The more it falls closer to 500mw max, the better. But again, as 50mw minimum, you can power it with mostly anything. Don't overthink it.

Note that recommended specs is mainly for headroom, not the requirement. You'll never reach 500mw with the i4, and you'd disintegrate your ears long before you ever got to that.

You have plenty of people here to with opinions on what sounded good with this headphone, so I welcome you to check the whole thread.
When I use a 4.4mm balanced cable and amp, I find I have to use high gain and volume to get an equivalent listening level to single ended. The Cipher cable is a complete mystery to me on how it gets the volume and sound quality with just 100 mA of current from my iPhone!

Sep 8, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #4,361 of 4,796
deleted.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #4,362 of 4,796
This combo has always brings me nothing but joy. Oldie but goodie, incredible bass, superb resolution, expansive soundstage, seductive mids, and airy treble. It brings me smiles everytime I put them on for more than 5 years now. And of course, using PEQ courtesy of @bflat 😊

56207CE5-C09C-4E32-80E0-31ECD4D9EEC7.jpeg

0DBE8D71-38AD-4C57-A865-769A7B4DC70E.jpeg

Sep 29, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #4,363 of 4,796
Hi friends, i've reading this thread for weeks, first with pure curiosity about this hybrid concept of in-headphones and then trying to deny the neurotic impulse of consumerism that was growing on me. Thank you for all your contagious enthusiasm, i've finally decided to pull the trigger and look for a used LCDi4 even knowing this investment is way above my budget. If i have to eat rice all the winter it'll be your fault. That said, i have two questions:

1) Well, maybe this is more an announcement. Is anyone in Europe thinking about selling a used pair? If that's the case don't hesitate contacting me and we'll see if i can assume your price. There are a couple of them in other forums, but my experience in Head-Fi has been always excellent and i prefer buying it here.

2) Do you think that my wm1a (Wm1z mod) or my Lotoo Paw 6000 will be enough to extract a good quantity of it's juice if i buy a balanced 4.4 cable ?(for the moment i can't afford buying something like a Hugo2)

Thanks in advance for your answers!!

Sep 29, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #4,364 of 4,796
Hi friends, i've reading this thread for weeks, first with pure curiosity about this hybrid concept of in-headphones and then trying to deny the neurotic impulse of consumerism that was growing on me. Thank you for all your contagious enthusiasm, i've finally decided to pull the trigger and look for a used LCDi4 even knowing this investment is way above my budget. If i have to eat rice all the winter it'll be your fault. That said, i have two questions:

1) Well, maybe this is more an announcement. Is anyone in Europe thinking about selling a used pair? If that's the case don't hesitate contacting me and we'll see if i can assume your price. There are a couple of them in other forums, but my experience in Head-Fi has been always excellent and i prefer buying it here.

2) Do you think that my wm1a (Wm1z mod) or my Lotoo Paw 6000 will be enough to extract a good quantity of it's juice if i buy a balanced 4.4 cable ?(for the moment i can't afford buying something like a Hugo2)

Thanks in advance for your answers!!
If you can’t find one used, Audeze has had sold them for $999 B-stock as part of their Black Friday sale the past few years.

Sep 30, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #4,365 of 4,796
Do you think that my wm1a (Wm1z mod) or my Lotoo Paw 6000 will be enough to extract a good quantity of it's juice if i buy a balanced 4.4 cable ?(for the moment i can't afford buying something like a Hugo2)
I used to have WM1Z, and although the LCDi4 scales very good with more power, WM1Z has no issue in driving them. The most important thing is to use EQ, otherwise tonality is wonky. WM1Z/A has very good and effective graphic EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back