Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Oct 19, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #3,676 of 4,796
Small bore reduces the treble as it has less room to flow through. For these, wide bore is the way to go, which is why stock tips are wide bore. I use either stock or spiral dots, but I've settled into stock as I feel the longer length does a better job to distribute the weight through the ear canal better than a shorter nozzle.
Yeah, unless there are any other wide bore tips I think I am done tip rolling. Are the sprial dots wider bore than stock? If so I might try them out, but that's about it. Now, my next move is getting a custom balanced cable. Thinking about going with copper just to add even more warmth and also match the color of the i4.

Oct 20, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #3,677 of 4,796
Yeah, unless there are any other wide bore tips I think I am done tip rolling. Are the sprial dots wider bore than stock? If so I might try them out, but that's about it. Now, my next move is getting a custom balanced cable. Thinking about going with copper just to add even more warmth and also match the color of the i4.
Spiral dots are a little wider, but noticeably shorter. Not uncomfortable, but I ended up finding stock smooth more comfortable because it touches more of my ear

Oct 20, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #3,679 of 4,796
Hey there , yesterday I pulled the trigger on a barrel aged pair during Oktoberfest sale. I think 1200 $ is a good price for a new pair that isnt even B stock. Considering the quite good exchange rate and reduced import tax I will end up around 1200€ compared to 3000€ they usually sell here in Germany for. They come without Bluetooth or cipher cable but I didnt plan on using these anyway.

I had the isine 20 before which I liked very much even from my LG V30. So it will be interresting to see how these perform from the V30. Other source will be Mojo/Poly, which should have enough power.
At home I have a Jotunheim and I am thinkinh about buying upgrade cables for these. I dont know what makes more sence...to get a 3.5mm FAW Claire Hybrid for on the go or to maybe go balanced for stationary use? How would you judge the stock cable? Would the FAW be an upgrade at all?

BTW the sale is still on.
https://www.audeze.com/products/audeze-oktoberfest-sale?_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJtYWx0ZV93ZWlzc0BnbXguZGUiLCAia2xfY29tcGFueV9pZCI6ICJQeDlKcloifQ==

Edit: the I4 are sold out, but there are still other cans on sale

Cheers

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #3,680 of 4,796
Lovely pair up
IMG_20201025_021235.jpg

Oct 24, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #3,681 of 4,796
Anyone knows if there are XS ear hooks to be ordered somewhere?
The default smallest hooks (ML & MR) don’t fit my ears and barely provide any support so the in ear mostly hangs on the tips in my ear canal which is uncomfortable

Oct 25, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #3,683 of 4,796
Oct 25, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #3,684 of 4,796
I am curious, in the specs for the i4 Audeze says the max power handling is 500mW RMS. How careful should I be with amps that can output >500mW into 32ohms? Is this number just a cautionary lower limit or is there a great chance of driver damage if I pass this threshold? It seems that these things are hungry for power, which makes the 500mW estimate seem a bit lower for the upper limit of their power handling. If anyone can help with this it would be appreciated.

Oct 25, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #3,685 of 4,796
Oct 25, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #3,686 of 4,796
Oct 25, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #3,687 of 4,796
@emperorlitus Yeah I read this as well. I wonder if they did in fact change the specs more than just a little...which would make me question if my incoming barrel aged pair which is most likely older spec is compatible with the audeze Roon presets...Frequency response also changes as well as the sensetivity. Most reviews state the 3W and a Freq Response of 5-50000 Hz and a Sensetivity of 105 dB . Really would like to hear someone from @Audeze about this or did they speak openly about changes here before?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #3,688 of 4,796
Oct 25, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #3,690 of 4,796
@emperorlitus Yeah I read this as well. I wonder if they did in fact change the specs more than just a little...which would make me question if my incoming barrel aged pair which is most likely older spec is compatible with the audeze Roon presets...Frequency response also changes as well as the sensetivity. Most reviews state the 3W and a Freq Response of 5-50000 Hz and a Sensetivity of 105 dB . Really would like to hear someone from @Audeze about this or did they speak openly about changes here before?
It seems also the impedance rating went down from 35 to 32 ohms. I remember reading about how Audeze introduced a second revision of LCDi4 due to complaints that they were too hard to drive from portable sources. Maybe what we're seeing is confirmation of this? I just want to get the most of these without going into dangerous territories...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back