Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Mar 13, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #3,286 of 4,796
Mar 16, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #3,287 of 4,796
I just got my LCD-I4. A stock clearance but it is not B-stock.
There are no CIPHER Lightning cable and Bluetooth module.
I don't need the Cipher cable.
I had read somewhere that Audeze would ship the bluetooth cable for free but I don't remember where.
Is anyone informed? Otherwise I order it at my expense.

Mar 16, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #3,288 of 4,796
I don't know if they are worth the price they cost because I have not made comparisons with IEMS of equal value. Pero 'as soon as put to the ear WOW ..... and' certainly another planet.
Now I just have to let them burn for a couple of days and then I can evaluate better.

Mar 16, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #3,289 of 4,796
I don't know if they are worth the price they cost because I have not made comparisons with IEMS of equal value. Pero 'as soon as put to the ear WOW ..... and' certainly another planet.
Now I just have to let them burn for a couple of days and then I can evaluate better.

I’d recommend trying out the Audeze reveal DSP early into your impressions forming cycle. The i4 doesn’t “need it” like the isine but is still a shortcut to an ideally optimized frequency response and a key feature of the Audeze experience. Cipher cables have it built in for on the go, too :)

Mar 16, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #3,290 of 4,796
about the cables, I wrote to AUDEZE and I must say that they quickly replied that they send the two cables free of charge.
Excellent assistance ...
Acoustic first impressions are certainly positive. Maybe I had too many expectations or maybe my ear is not what it used to be. With eq flat I don't like it, at least not for the money it costs. With a U-turn it goes much better.
Of course there is no punch on the bass, but obviously these are not bassheads. Despite this, they have a very well defined bass. You feel it exists but you don't feel it physically.
On the medium range the voices I have never heard them so "alive".
On the high range, I sometimes hear details that I had never heard.
However, I let them burn a little and deepen the listening.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #3,291 of 4,796
about the cables, I wrote to AUDEZE and I must say that they quickly replied that they send the two cables free of charge.
Excellent assistance ...
Acoustic first impressions are certainly positive. Maybe I had too many expectations or maybe my ear is not what it used to be. With eq flat I don't like it, at least not for the money it costs. With a U-turn it goes much better.
Of course there is no punch on the bass, but obviously these are not bassheads. Despite this, they have a very well defined bass. You feel it exists but you don't feel it physically.
On the medium range the voices I have never heard them so "alive".
On the high range, I sometimes hear details that I had never heard.
However, I let them burn a little and deepen the listening.
it is the extremely fast transient that u should look at. only electrostatic would match it.

after the i4, u won't accept anything worse than that.

Mar 19, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #3,292 of 4,796
the more I listen to them, the more I like them. I'm also looking for the right EQ curve that's right for me.
I just miss a little more bass ...

Mar 19, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #3,293 of 4,796
the more I listen to them, the more I like them. I'm also looking for the right EQ curve that's right for me.
I just miss a little more bass ...

The i4s do not lack for bass–at all. However, setting it up properly is tricky. A deep insertion into the ear canal will get you a full, pounding, bloated bass, but you don't want that. On the other hand, just "resting" the earpieces on the outer part of your inner ear with a poor seal, will erase any real bass response.

I've found it takes a lot of time and trial and error to get the optimal positioning. Trying out different tips, hooks, and even heating and bending the hooks all have an effect. Personally, I think you want to find a position at the edge of your ear canal that still provides a good seal.

Mar 20, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #3,294 of 4,796
I think you're right. But with the supplied grommets I can't find the right one. Unfortunately they are not standard sizes, it is difficult to find compatible ones that work for me.
I'll try again, but if I don't solve the problem, I think I'll sell them.

Mar 20, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #3,295 of 4,796
I think you're right. But with the supplied grommets I can't find the right one. Unfortunately they are not standard sizes, it is difficult to find compatible ones that work for me.
I'll try again, but if I don't solve the problem, I think I'll sell them.
Been using iSine and LCDi4 for a couple years. What I like most about them is that they DON'T need a tight seal. When first introduced, it was mentioned that they only need to rest in the ear canal. You mentioned the lack of bass. Are you listening via analog cable, with no eq, or via lightning cable? If you are using analog cable, and can eq, these things thump hard. I use a parametric eq on my LCDi4 and do a low shelf at 110 +4.

Mar 20, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #3,296 of 4,796
I second they eq to thump good midbass.

Sparkly treble is hard to eq in though.

Mar 20, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #3,297 of 4,796
Been using iSine and LCDi4 for a couple years. What I like most about them is that they DON'T need a tight seal. When first introduced, it was mentioned that they only need to rest in the ear canal. You mentioned the lack of bass. Are you listening via analog cable, with no eq, or via lightning cable? If you are using analog cable, and can eq, these things thump hard. I use a parametric eq on my LCDi4 and do a low shelf at 110 +4.

Right, they don't need a tight seal–but they definitely need a seal. If the OP is not getting a hard-hitting bass, the seal is the problem, and EQ won't properly address it. I'm using 2 stages of convolution to add bass and an additional 10db boost at 55Hz.

You can rest the tips–in the ear canal–and adjust the seal till it's right. I mentioned that you cannot rest the tips on the outer part of the inner ear.

The i4 placement is very different from a normal IEM, but the bass response still depends on maintaining a seal specific to the i4. It is worth emphasizing, you don't want a complete seal like a normal IEM, but you need a partial seal.

Mar 20, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #3,298 of 4,796
Right, they don't need a tight seal–but they definitely need a seal. If the OP is not getting a hard-hitting bass, the seal is the problem, and EQ won't properly address it. I'm using 2 stages of convolution to add bass and an additional 10db boost at 55Hz.

You can rest the tips–in the ear canal–and adjust the seal till it's right. I mentioned that you cannot rest the tips on the outer part of the inner ear.

The i4 placement is very different from a normal IEM, but the bass response still depends on maintaining a seal specific to the i4. It is worth emphasizing, you don't want a complete seal like a normal IEM, but you need a partial seal.
Thanks for this.

My problem is that, unfortunately, with a partial seal my i4 seems to flop around even if I'm only turning my head or having down (at my navel!). I've tried all the different size ribbed tips that came with the iems and also different sizes of spinfits and spiral dots. I've also used them with the hooks and the fins.

The one thing that I have not tried is using the fins AND hooks together.

Mar 20, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #3,299 of 4,796
Thanks for this.
My problem is that, unfortunately, with a partial seal my i4 seems to flop around even if I'm only turning my head or having down (at my navel!). I've tried all the different size ribbed tips that came with the iems and also different sizes of spinfits and spiral dots. I've also used them with the hooks and the fins.
The one thing that I have not tried is using the fins AND hooks together.

Yeah, this is challenge of i4s. It is unique in design, and uniquely difficult to fit in the ear. Traditional IEMs are fine. You, need a good seal, which means insertion, and this also keeps the units in place. The i4 really needs this "partial seal" to perform properly.

This is why they come with the hooks and fins. They are there so that you don't have to depend on the seal to keep your earpieces in place. I don't know about using both hooks and fins, though you gotta do whatever works. It is a bit of a balancing act. The right positioning, tip, and hook/fins all have to work together to get the sound right and keep them in place.

Personally, it took me a long time to get it right. I had to figure out exactly where the ear tips needed to go. Then I used a temp-controlled hot air unit to bend the hooks till I could fix them in that position. I think this is extreme though, and most people can get the with the standard equipment provided. Did you try the bent/curved hooks?

I have to say, the effort is with it. The unique design may be a pain, but it does deliver a unique sound. There is no other transducer like it, that has the sound of full size open phones and the portability of an IEM.

Mar 21, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #3,300 of 4,796
I use the analog cable with the M15 and equalized it like this:
31.5 +3
62 +7
125 +3
2k -2.5
4k +2.5
8k +2.5
This is the solution for my tastes.
I tried to change the rubbers, at the moment it seems that the smallest (not striped) are the most suitable for me. They manage to enter the canal well and give a good seal. So I gained something on the bass.
Now I have to try to customize the hooks as suggested by Edwardsean.
Grazie a tutti per l'eccellente consiglio.

P.S. with 62 Hz I think they are at the limit, besides, if the recording is not perfect, listening is negative

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back