Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Dec 20, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #3,166 of 4,804
I appreciate all the help from everyone this far! It’s helped me out a bunch! Didn’t get much time today for more listening, but did notice that on amazon prime HD , my Bluetooth cipher registers as being 24bit/44.1 capable. But for some reason maxes out at 16/44.1 when playing the 24/48 and up high res tracks. I’ve never seen any of my dacs be capable of a bit rate and not play at that max bit rate. The 24/44.1 play with no issue, just doesn’t seem to downscale from 24/96 or 24/48 to 24/44.1 like other dacs do.

Hard wired cipher plays the same tracks no issues down scaling to max bit rate. Bluetooth cipher is the only one having issues.

also bt cipher doesn’t seem to work with the iOS app :/
What Bluetooth mode are you in, AAC, APTX, APTX HD?

Dec 20, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #3,167 of 4,804
Had LCDi4 for about 5mo. I appreciated the FR of the cipher, but always felt like it was a bit lacking in detail retrieval, etc. Felt a little held back vs something like a Mojo or xDSD. Purchased Monolith portable DAC Amp with it's 3band parametric eq plus high and low shelf eq, and was able to dial in fantastic curve that takes these to the ultimate level as a portable, IMO.
Care the share those settings?

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #3,168 of 4,804
Dec 20, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #3,170 of 4,804
I need help!!

I got the i4 during the Black Friday sale. I just don't like the sound, and I've spent hours fiddling around with the fit, learning about the eq settings, etc. The fit is now fine. But the sound isn't.

The problem is probably that i listen to all my music from a micro sd card on my Android phone.

First i tried listening to the i4 without eq through my chord Hugo 2. Just did not sound right. Then i tried using the wired cipher cable using (belkin and Anker) lightening to USB-c.

Though the sound definitely improved, the phone is just not powerful enough to drive the iems adequately.

Unfortunately, i don't use a PC or a Mac to listen, so i don't think roon or reveal will work for me. Nor do i want to get yet another bit of equipment, like a good DAP with parametric eq.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of just selling the i4 if i can't find a fix :frowning2:

Dec 20, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #3,171 of 4,804
Hey, I recently got a pair of LCDi4 b-stock from another head-fier...... this previous owner professionally terminated the original cable from 3.5 to 2.5 balance. He also made an adapter to go from 2.5 balance to 3.5 unbalance. Since he has a company that makes cables, the craftsmanship was excellent and he did a great job. I tested the cable with the adapter and everything works great. I don't have any sources that have a 2.5mm balanced output and I only use a portable amp (Headstage Arrow 6TX) that I connect to my iPhone and I really don't have any need for a cable terminated in 2.5mm. I like having very portable setups and I already need to deal with an extra cable because my iPhone doesn't have a 3.5mm jack. I really don't want to use this cable with an adapter all the time because the cable gets heavier. Is anyone here that has sources with 2.5mm balanced output willing to trade this cable with the original 3.5mm unbalanced cable that comes with the LCDi4? I will not ask for cash and I'm not expecting to be asked for cash. Please see the pictures and PM me if interested. Thank you.

DSC01442.JPG
IMG_8401.JPG IMG_8402.JPG IMG_8403.JPG IMG_8404.JPG IMG_8405.JPG

Dec 20, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #3,172 of 4,804
Hey, I recently got a pair of LCDi4 b-stock from another head-fier...... this previous owner professionally terminated the original cable from 3.5 to 2.5 balance. He also made an adapter to go from 2.5 balance to 3.5 unbalance. Since he has a company that makes cables, the craftsmanship was excellent and he did a great job. I tested the cable with the adapter and everything works great. I don't have any sources that have a 2.5mm balanced output and I only use a portable amp (Headstage Arrow 6TX) that I connect to my iPhone and I really don't have any need for a cable terminated in 2.5mm. I like having very portable setups and I already need to deal with an extra cable because my iPhone doesn't have a 3.5mm jack. I really don't want to use this cable with an adapter all the time because the cable gets heavier. Is anyone here that has sources with 2.5mm balanced output willing to trade this cable with the original 3.5mm unbalanced cable that comes with the LCDi4? I will not ask for cash and I'm not expecting to be asked for cash. Please see the pictures and PM me if interested. Thank you.

let me check if I find the cable and we can make the trade. I’ll send you a PM if I’m able to find it this weekend

Dec 20, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #3,173 of 4,804
No idea, I’m on the latest iOS iPod touch 7th gen. Using amazon prime music HD. I’m unaware of being able to connect in a specific Bluetooth mode. How do I check/toggle that?
You're on iOS, which is AAC. You can't do 24 bit audio in AAC, which is why you see 16/44.1 only Bluetooth codecs that are readily usable that can do 24 but audio are ATX-HD and LDAC.

Dec 20, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #3,175 of 4,804
You're on iOS, which is AAC. You can't do 24 bit audio in AAC, which is why you see 16/44.1 only Bluetooth codecs that are readily usable that can do 24 but audio are ATX-HD and LDAC.

I figured, thanks again!

also, finally got the reveal plugin installed. Was able to play around with it a bunch. Really brings out the potential of the lcdi4. They disappeared at a certain point and I forgot they were in my ears. Surprisingly close to a full over ear headphone experience, sound wise, but in a much smaller package

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #3,176 of 4,804

Pm'ed. I use mine with 2.5mm more often and don't mind carrying an adapter.

Dec 25, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #3,177 of 4,804
I need help!!

I got the i4 during the Black Friday sale. I just don't like the sound, and I've spent hours fiddling around with the fit, learning about the eq settings, etc. The fit is now fine. But the sound isn't.

The problem is probably that i listen to all my music from a micro sd card on my Android phone.

First i tried listening to the i4 without eq through my chord Hugo 2. Just did not sound right. Then i tried using the wired cipher cable using (belkin and Anker) lightening to USB-c.

Though the sound definitely improved, the phone is just not powerful enough to drive the iems adequately.

Unfortunately, i don't use a PC or a Mac to listen, so i don't think roon or reveal will work for me. Nor do i want to get yet another bit of equipment, like a good DAP with parametric eq.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of just selling the i4 if i can't find a fix :frowning2:[/QUOTE

You could try the E1da PowerDac V2, like I am using. It will mimic the Cipher cable with way more power output.

But you need to use the preset that was made for me. https://yadi.sk/d/4P8rwxMEO0-QAg

Still if you are using the cipher cable, it is the cipher powering the device and not your phone. The USB-c of a phone should be able to supply way more than enough power for the cipher cable. It is just how the cipher cable decides to use that power.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #3,178 of 4,804
Merry Christmas, everyone!

Now listening to the i4s via Roon (EQ'd) - Qobuz - iFi Micro iDSL BL. Really really enjoyable sound that sounds like an open over-the-ear headphone.

:L3000::L3000::L3000:

Dec 25, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #3,179 of 4,804

Now listening to the i4s via Roon (EQ'd) - Qobuz - iFi Micro iDSL BL. Really really enjoyable sound that sounds like an open over-the-ear headphone.

Yep, a properly EQ’d i4s are just so freakin’ amazing :) happy holidays!

Dec 26, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #3,180 of 4,804

Could you share a screen shot of you Roon eq? I'd never thought of using that when I use the i4 an the main home rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back