Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Jan 8, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #3,196 of 4,804
A page or two back i complained about my difficulty in eq'ing the i4 with my Android, USB C, phone as transport. I was considering getting rid of them.

Short update: I'm going to keep the i4. Using the Anker usb-c to Apple adapter and the wired cypher cable i get pretty good sq. The only thing that to my ears is disappointing is the timbre. But this is compared to my reference hp (Stax sr-009s).

The i4 is a great portable iem for my use case: not for commuting or listening in noisy or public places, but for tooling around my home. A full-size estat is not portable after all!

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #3,197 of 4,804
Hey guys, I recently picked up a Cayin N8 to replace my Hugo2, as I was finding the Hugo2 to be bright and strident. So far, I am really liking the N8. It renders a more natural timbre, which makes it sound more realistic to my ears than the Hugo2.

807EB14F-2692-4787-90F8-C5D691236199.jpeg

Jan 9, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #3,198 of 4,804
A page or two back i complained about my difficulty in eq'ing the i4 with my Android, USB C, phone as transport. I was considering getting rid of them.

Short update: I'm going to keep the i4. Using the Anker usb-c to Apple adapter and the wired cypher cable i get pretty good sq. The only thing that to my ears is disappointing is the timbre. But this is compared to my reference hp (Stax sr-009s).

The i4 is a great portable iem for my use case: not for commuting or listening in noisy or public places, but for tooling around my home. A full-size estat is not portable after all!

Have you tried using UAPP's parametric-EQ?

Reveal pc program's i4 eq.
dG1Vcx5_d.jpg

Values (though how your program curves the things in between may effect sound)
i4_parametric_eq_values.jpg

Set it in-app I think.
Screenshot_20200109-091112006 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #3,199 of 4,804
Have you tried using UAPP's parametric-EQ?

Thanks! Your message is extremely helpful.

I think one of my issues has been that tweaking the i4 seems to so dramatically change the sounds profile: different tips, adjusting the ear clip, eq'ing, cables. Lot of things to juggle. AND the i4 is unlike any other iem I've ever owned.

That's not a knock against the i4. It just means I need to invest more time in getting them to sound just the way I want them to.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #3,201 of 4,804
I met KMann through the ISINE thread and received links to drop box files for the LCDi4 from him in a private chat. He follows this thread so I'm sure he will respond but I had assumed he posted them some where in these 43 pages. He has numerous versions including an "out of your head" filter that is fun to play with. Here's the link to a basic filter for the i4. Not sure if it will work for you or not. https://www.dropbox.com/s/pmft7bmlp13go5q/Roon-i4-V4.zip?dl=0p These can work with the ISINEs too but he created these for the i4.
Thank you for bringing these convolution filters to our attention. I'm really enjoying them.

Jan 10, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #3,202 of 4,804
Hey guys, I recently picked up a Cayin N8 to replace my Hugo2, as I was finding the Hugo2 to be bright and strident. So far, I am really liking the N8. It renders a more natural timbre, which makes it sound more realistic to my ears than the Hugo2.

Congrats! I once had hugo2 with lcdi4. I raved about it a lot & frankly enjoyed it as well (my impressions are buried deep in this thread). At that time I didn't had exposure to DACs. But after listening to NOS sound my preference changed. I can confidently say that i4 sounds mind blowing with a dedicated desktop NOS Dac & amp.

Jan 14, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #3,204 of 4,804
Nice review, but they forgot to mention why you can EQ the Lcd-i4. Because Audeze Fazor equipped technology gives it such a significant low distortion, making it so pliable.

Such a crime to not mention that in layman terms. XD

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #3,205 of 4,804
LCD i4 vs Tia Fourte & U18 Tzar.

Comparing the i4 with IEMs is not actually fair, as the i4 seems to fall in a different category according to its design, construction and use case. Someone used the terminology 'In-Ear Headphone' to describe the i4 and, I think the person was spot on because, the presentation of the i4 is much larger than regular IEMs out there. But if there are 2 IEMs that could compete, it would be the Tia brothers from 64Audio.

Fourte and U18 are IEMs that defy the limitations of IEMs to present a very large stage. While their stages are probably the best in class, they can’t quite keep up with the stage of the i4. According to its open back design and the driver size, i4 presents a larger stage. But the real strength of the i4’s design lies in the size of the instrument images it creates in the stage. They are open and large, almost close to the size of images created by full-size HPs. In contrast, Fourte’s and U18’s instrument images are still small, but that is to be expected.

In terms of resolution, Fourte and U18 have much better perceived resolution as they have very good isolation. Isolation is critical when it comes to being able to hear low-key high frequency details. And since isolation is not a feature of i4’s design, i4 can appear less resolving. But the true capability of the i4 driver can be heard when listening to the bass notes. It is highly resolving and very fast as well. The Tia twins also have an enhanced lower and upper treble that help with the resolution ad detail retrieval. But because of the treble enhancement, the Tia twins sound over-articulated and artificially detailed.

Getting into the signature and individual aspects of the tuning can result in a wall of text. So, to keep it short; U18 and the Fourte have very energetic characters with good bass and sparkly treble. They are well suited for electronic music. Between the Fourte and the U18, U18 has better balance in the tuning which makes it more versatile. But still neither can recreate a natural timbre as their mid-range lacks naturalness and the treble is over detailed. And so they are not great for classical. The i4 without EQ sounds dull, as it lacks the upper midrange presence. But engage the DSP or EQ provided/recommended by Audeze, and the tuning gets close to a headphone target curve, which makes the i4 sound very natural and accurate in its timbre. The balance in the signature makes it very versatile and is capable of handling any genre of music you throw at it.

Oh, one more thing. Fourte’s bass is a highly resolving bass. Its treble adds definition and texture making it a very technical bass and yet, it retains the characteristics of the DD like the liquid decay, good rumbles and extension. It is not an accurate bass presentation but is one geared towards fun and amusement. I4’s bass presentation on the other hand is more accurate. It is a clean bass that does dynamics and extension so well, without having the need to be enhanced. I would rate both the bass equally but for different reasons.

Hope that helps!

"Liquid decay"? :no_mouth:

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #3,208 of 4,804
Slow decay, when put relatively against a Balanced Armatures fast decay. But should still be appropriate to the recording.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #3,210 of 4,804

There really is no alternative to i4, except Shure KSE, other than Audeze and Shure, all other top contender IEMs are balanced armatures, with significantly higher distortion figures than Planars and Electrostats.

You mentioned that timbre is the only issue compared to your Stax 009. The 009 are widely considered the best headphone for any money, over the ear full size, so this may not be fair fight. Still, by timbre, do you mean frequency curve? That would be easy fix, dial in EQ for i4 what suits you, maybe timbre means something different.
i4 need proper DAC and amp, Cipher is not it. Cipher is quick fix, and guarantees flat frequency response, unfortunately you are stuck with iPhone amplifier, probebly not state of the art as far as amps go. I imagine Class A desktop amplifier is significantly better than iPhone output. Sabre chipped desktop DACs are very likely significantly better than Audeze Ciper chip. Just like Stax electrostats, in order to hear what i4 can put out, the very best electronics up the line are needed, and iPhone is probebly not it.

How would you compare distortion of i4 and your Stax 009? Distortion and lack of it, also known as 'transparency', 'airiness', 'looking deep into the soundstage', 'veils lifted', 'pinpointing the instruments in orchestra', 'lack of listening fatigue', 'like hearing my favorite recordings for the first time'.

With proper EQ setting, proper fit in ear canal, with proper amplification, how much are LCD i4 behind the Stax 009, you feel?
I have listened to Stax 009s extensively, for hours and hours, over many months in Bangkok Audeze and Stax dealer's showroom, Tidal and TOTL desktop DACs and amplification as source. I have a a strong opinion about Stax 009 vs LCDi4, but you first!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back