Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Oct 20, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #2,268 of 4,795
For those who got b-stock, how did you guys get the tracking number?

Mine just says shipped but I haven't received any tracking yet, do you have to ask for it?

I got my tracking number directly from Fedex, and that was last Tuesday or Wednesday, and I can track the shipment as it heads toward me on the East coast. However, something seems to be out of whack, because on my Audeze account page, the status of this same order is still: "Processed- Waiting to Ship," and it has been like that since last Monday...

That appears to be the reverse of the status you're describing, which says "shipped," although you have no tracking number...

I feel certain that all these discrepancies will be straightened out soon enough. However, the tracking number is indispensable, because Fedex will need a signature for this delivery and you or someone has to be at home to sign for it.

Contacting Audeze for your number would seem to be the best way out at this moment. It is what I would do :)

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #2,269 of 4,795
I did just that - contact Audeze for a tracking number. But instead of a tracking number, their customer service emailed me about the Mobius.

I, too, have only received an email that says "shipped". No idea about anything else.

One thing I find mind bogling as a consumer: Why would I have to "request" a Cypher cable? Why isn't the cable a part of what the iem ships with? Who in their right mind would opt to not have the cable? Even for someone with zero ios product, it would affect the resale should they opt to sell in the future.

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #2,270 of 4,795
I did just that - contact Audeze for a tracking number. But instead of a tracking number, their customer service emailed me about the Mobius.

I, too, have only received an email that says "shipped". No idea about anything else.

One thing I find mind bogling as a consumer: Why would I have to "request" a Cypher cable? Why isn't the cable a part of what the iem ships with? Who in their right mind would opt to not have the cable? Even for someone with zero ios product, it would affect the resale should they opt to sell in the future.

tbh as someone who bought the isine10 w cipher cable and now the b stock i4, the last thing i want is an inferior cable designed to let me run my iems off my phone. at this point I have a decent pocket amp thus I want to utilize the $400 cable that comes stock w the i4. and again they should have never offered to give the b stock folks the option of ordering a cipher cable—should only be reserved for those who paid the full $2500 otherwise looks like audeze is stiffing its customers who paid the MSRP in full for the i4.

Oct 21, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #2,271 of 4,795
Are you saying if you request a Cypher cable Audeze doesn't include a 3.5mm cable? My understanding was that the Cypher was in addition to the standard cable. I also didn't realize the Cypher cable was inferior to the standard cable.

I don't see how folks who paid the the full price would feel stiffed by Audeze because Audeze decided to sell those iems returned to them by dealers (demos) or customer returns or manufacture defects at a reduced price. The B stock is a good price for what is essentially a used iem. It's not 1k for a brand new one.

Oct 21, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #2,272 of 4,795
Are you saying if you request a Cypher cable Audeze doesn't include a 3.5mm cable? My understanding was that the Cypher was in addition to the standard cable. I also didn't realize the Cypher cable was inferior to the standard cable.

I don't see how folks who paid the the full price would feel stiffed by Audeze because Audeze decided to sell those iems returned to them by dealers (demos) or customer returns or manufacture defects at a reduced price. The B stock is a good price for what is essentially a used iem. It's not 1k for a brand new one.

No it is not an either/or on the cable, just that they will include a cipher cable at no extra charge. Here’s the thing tho, folks who buy used are having to buy on good faith, but this is essentially a new used IEM verified by Audeze as being essentially new

Oct 21, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #2,273 of 4,795
I don't recall Audeze stating the B stock were essentially new. They did state that the warranty was the same as new and buyers have 45 days to return, at buyer expense, for a full refund. The limited stock consisted of dealer demos, small manufacture defects and customer returns.

I went to double-check but it looks like they're out of the B stock and I didn't see any info on them a few minutes ago.

For the folks who purchased B stock, it's a crap shoot. We might get one that appears perfect, one probably returned by a purchaser, or a slightly dinged up store demo or a slightly defective one.

As for your point about folks buying on good faith, isn't that always the case when buying used? As long as the item is described accurately, and both the buyer and seller are satisfied, it's all good, no?

Oct 21, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #2,274 of 4,795
Recently got my LCD i4 and very impressed with them so far! I spent the first few days listening with only Cipher cable with iPhone X + Tidal and once I found the best tip match, the balance and transparency was stellar.

I then switched to the braided cable and Sennheiser HDV 820 and the sound changed significantly enough to throw me off and think it was for the worse. In actuality, I'd grown used to the warmer, more intimate soundstage with the Cipher cable. With the HDV 820, everything opens up; larger soundstage, more separation and details. Bass comes from a larger space in front of you which can make it seem less than directed at your head; more defined, accurate and analytical.

Does anyone know how a Chord Hugo 2 might compare to the HDV 820 when paired with the i4? I probably won't be keeping the Sennheiser around and everything I've read tells me the Hugo DACs are superior and could add an external amp if necessary. I'm hoping for some improvements. My use case is studio reference so transparency is important.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #2,275 of 4,795
Recently got my LCD i4 and very impressed with them so far! I spent the first few days listening with only Cipher cable with iPhone X + Tidal and once I found the best tip match, the balance and transparency was stellar.

I then switched to the braided cable and Sennheiser HDV 820 and the sound changed significantly enough to throw me off and think it was for the worse. In actuality, I can grown used to the warmer, more intimate soundstage with the Cipher cable. With the HDV 820, everything opens up; larger soundstage, more separation and details. Bass comes from a larger space in front of you which can make it seem less than directed at your head; more defined, accurate and analytical.

Does anyone know how a Chord Hugo 2 might compare to the HDV 820 when paired with the i4? I probably won't be keeping the Sennheiser around and everything I've read tells me the Hugo DACs are superior and could add an external amp if necessary. I'm hoping for some improvements. My use case is studio reference so transparency is important.
If transparency is what you're seeking then the Hugo 2 and i4's are a great pairing

Oct 21, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #2,276 of 4,795
If transparency is what you're seeking then the Hugo 2 and i4's are a great pairing

Thanks, that's what I'm leaning toward. Do you have any experience with Sennheiser amps as a point of reference? I'm also wondering how a professional interface like the Apogee Symphony II or new Universal Audio Apollo x stacks up to Hugo 2. If Hugo is noticeably better then I could connect the Hugo to ADAT out of my interface in the studio.

Oct 21, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #2,278 of 4,795

I haven’t heard the HDV820 but for transparency and fidelity the Hugo2 measures much better. From what I gather the HDV820 is purpose built to compliment the Sennheiser HD 8** headphone range, from the warm signature to the high output impedance (~40 Ohms). Besides a max power spec (which the i4 doesn’t need) I would go for the Hugo2 if you want transparency.

Oct 22, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #2,279 of 4,795
Thanks, that's what I'm leaning toward. Do you have any experience with Sennheiser amps as a point of reference? I'm also wondering how a professional interface like the Apogee Symphony II or new Universal Audio Apollo x stacks up to Hugo 2. If Hugo is noticeably better then I could connect the Hugo to ADAT out of my interface in the studio.
No, I don’t have any experience with Sennheiser amps. But @x RELIC x has given a really good post outlining what you should expect from Sennheiser amps.

Oct 22, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #2,280 of 4,795

I then switched to the braided cable and Sennheiser HDV 820 and the sound changed significantly enough to throw me off and think it was for the worse. In actuality, I'd grown used to the warmer, more intimate soundstage with the Cipher cable. With the HDV 820, everything opens up; larger soundstage, more separation and details. Bass comes from a larger space in front of you which can make it seem less than directed at your head; more defined, accurate and analytical.

Keep in mind that the cipher cable has preset EQ built into it. Even if you use the app to EQ further, you won’t be able to match the sound of the i4 with the regular cable and no EQ. To me, the i4 sounds good both ways, but definitely different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back