Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Oct 18, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #2,237 of 4,795
LOL - Just listed my LCDi4's for sale and then stumbled on the B stock news. Slightly frustrating, but that's the way it goes I guess.

Oct 18, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #2,239 of 4,795
LOL - Just listed my LCDi4's for sale and then stumbled on the B stock news. Slightly frustrating, but that's the way it goes I guess.

Okay, so I have read your listing, and if I may ask, why are you selling the LCDi4 when you give it such a glowing review? Also, one more question, if I may: how does the sound of the LCDi4 compare to that of the LCD-X which you have owned and sold?

For this latter question, I am trusting that, in spite of the typical shortness and fragility of audio memory, you can remember enough of the LCD-X's sound to offer a satisfactory comparative assessment...''

Thanks in advance.

Oct 18, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #2,240 of 4,795
Mine just arrived.. looks brand new, hard to tell it is B stock. I requested the Cipher cable and they included it.

Nice! May I know how you made your request for the Cipher v2 cable? I sent in a request on the day I bought my LCDi4, but the Customer support guy who responded said I should request the Cipher cable separately with the serial number of my LCDi4 once I have received it. I take it they did not make you pay any extra for the Cipher 2 cable, is that correct?

Oct 18, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #2,241 of 4,795
Okay, so I have read your listing, and if I may ask, why are you selling the LCDi4 when you give it such a glowing review? Also, one more question, if I may: how does the sound of the LCDi4 compare to that of the LCD-X which you have owned and sold?

For this latter question, I am trusting that, in spite of the typical shortness and fragility of audio memory, you can remember enough of the LCD-X's sound to offer a satisfactory comparative assessment...''

Thanks in advance.

The reason I'm selling it is because the house we're building is nearly complete and my wife has an expensive taste in furniture and lighting.

The major differences between the LCDi4 and LCD-X (aside from the obvious portability benefits) are:

-Greater seperation due to the LCDi4's better resolution.
-Midrange tonality. The LCDi4 has a more palpable and textured midrange, particularly mids through to upper mids
-A more coherent presentation with a greater sense of ease in reproducing complex transients and musical passages

Given Audeze's suprise decision to drop the price of the LCDi4 I am seriously considering selling my Abyss', and I'll happily keep the i4. That should tell you what I think of it compared to the LCD-X.

Oct 18, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #2,242 of 4,795
Nice! May I know how you made your request for the Cipher v2 cable? I sent in a request on the day I bought my LCDi4, but the Customer support guy who responded said I should request the Cipher cable separately with the serial number of my LCDi4 once I have received it. I take it they did not make you pay any extra for the Cipher 2 cable, is that correct?

I just hit reply on my order confirmation email and asked them to include it. I did not pay extra.

Oct 18, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #2,244 of 4,795
u lucky chap! how fast did you buy it? how did you learn about the sale??

I got an email for it and bought it shortly after on the 15th.

Initial impression is that the signature is similar to LCD4.. lush, warm, high resolution. Using AK SR15 balanced out, seems to pair well. Comfort is not good though, perhaps my ears are too small but I'll play with the fit. I guess you're not supposed to insert these deep.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #2,246 of 4,795
I guess you're not supposed to insert these deep.

I physically can’t insert any of the tips (none at all) in to my ear canals. The sound doesn’t change whatsoever when I press them very hard in to my ear holes, but significantly changes as soon as I break the seal by pulling them away. I’ve tried all the tips and the large ribbed is the most comfortable by far, for me, and covers my ear canal fully.

Oct 18, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #2,247 of 4,795
I physically can’t insert any of the tips (none at all) in to my ear canals. The sound doesn’t change whatsoever when I press them very hard in to my ear holes, but significantly changes as soon as I break the seal by pulling them away. I’ve tried all the tips and the large ribbed is the most comfortable by far, for me, and covers my ear canal fully.

Hmm you're right, shallow insertion seems to be the way to go. Are you using the stock earhooks? I imagine some soft heatshrink hooks would be amazing, I wonder if there are any aftermarket options..

Oct 18, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #2,248 of 4,795
Hmm you're right, shallow insertion seems to be the way to go. Are you using the stock earhooks? I imagine some soft heatshrink hooks would be amazing, I wonder if there are any aftermarket options..

Yes, I’m using the stock earhooks. I find that after about 1.5 to 2 hours the back of my ear gets sore. It takes a lot of minor adjustments to get the fit right for me, worth it though for the sound and overall form factor, IMO.

I’ve been meaning to try some heatshrink but haven’t got to it yet. As for aftermarket earhooks I haven’t read about anything out there. Would be great if there were options.

Oct 18, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #2,249 of 4,795
Can use some 6mm rubber tubing slid over the ear hooks to greatly increase comfort for extended wear sessions. I can have mine on for 14 to 20 hours a day while trading and doing market research etc.

Notice that I cut approximately a half inch off the ear hooks to facilitate getting the rubber tubing to slide on the ear hooks. Doing so, I made the happy discovery that then aimed the nozzles just perfectly at my ear
canals and that yielded the most blissful, organic, ear-gasmic SQ imaginable. The 2nd picture below is one I copied from earlier in this thread, and the other is my i4's showing the modified ear hooks that are a bit shorter
although it may kinda hard to discern that from the images. BTW, the Norne Audio Therium cable is -ahem- just a sweet nice little addition to the i4... Just sayin'... :ksc75smile:

DSC_5763-XL.jpg
10150564_thumb.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back