Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Jul 27, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #631 of 4,795
Upon a very short time spent with the initial listen to the i4 seems to me that the signature of the phones are just spot on. Granted hardly any time with them yet but overall sound very clean and tight with beautiful bass extension from transition off mids, sub-bass into the lower registers. Clean and sparkly non-sibilant highs and not wanting to compromise that. Rather it was just wondering if the comply tips might be more comfortable not that the ones included are uncomfortable.

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #633 of 4,795
Just switched onto the large ribbed tips and it is sublime. Extremely comfortable. Listening to Al Marconi Insomnia. Wow. Just beautiful. Almost brings tears to the eyes. I am truly loving these phones... Dare I say it but I think they are better than the X.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #634 of 4,795
Coming from the kse1500, I find the lcdi4 to be vocal eccentric and a little bright and this is in combination with hugo 2. It really requires a external amp to improve the overall sound quality and deliver its full potential.

Being open back, especially during the quiet and silence notes of your music a little outside background noise can get quite distracting and this is coming from a quiet office environment.

For now the Kse1500 still wins.

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #635 of 4,795
Coming from the kse1500, I find the lcdi4 to be vocal eccentric and a little bright and this is in combination with hugo 2. It really requires a external amp to improve the overall sound quality and deliver its full potential.

Being open back, especially during the quiet and silence notes of your music a little outside background noise can get quite distracting and this is coming from a quiet office environment.

For now the Kse1500 still wins.

I think it's a bit more complicated. If you're looking for an isolating IEM then it's not really a contest as the i4 is, as you said, an open design. For me however I think of it differently. I tried out the KSE1500s wondering if they could replace my current IEMs (Tralucent Ref1Too with UberToo cable). I thought there were some things it did much better and others it didn't do as well. I tried out the Audeze LCD i4 also wondering if they could replace my current IEMs and I thought, yeah, forget my IEMs these could replace my full-size open back headphones. And they have.

It I can just talk crazy for a moment. I put on my HD800s the other day and I actually thought, "quaint," like you would going from a new laptop to an old desktop. I don't think open-back in-ears are going to actually obviate full-size headphones, but Audeze has shaken things up in a way that deserves some new thinking.

My current configuration runs OOYH (Smyth A16 on predorder) into a Simaudio Moon Neo 430HAD. The i4's open design with its weightless form factor combined with surround virtualization is like leapfrogging over full-size headphones to the feel of full-size speaker listening. I'm anxious to try it out with the A16. (I should mention my ear hooks have been significantly modified to reposition the drivers.) I'm not saying this is the future but it does feel like a glimpse of things to come.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #636 of 4,795
Does anyone have or know where I can find an audio frequency response graph of these?

Currently, my main interest in the FlaresPro by Flare Audio, as I'm trying to find something with more forward vocals and less bass quantity than the HiFiMan RE800 I have. So far, the FlaresPto looks promising in what I'm looking for, though the reviews of the i4 sounds very good too towards what I want. Although, I've never heard a Planar Magnetic before.

I'm looking for neutral to less than neutral bass quantity that still has some warmth in that the vocals are not artificial sounding like the balanced armature drivers I've heard. I want forward vocals with plenty of treble detail in a huge, airy, three dimensional surround sound-like environment with huge soundstage.

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #637 of 4,795
Ugh finally i got mine, off the batt i immediately realise it needs a minor tweak on dsp to sound its best. I find pianos a little too percussive n forward while the presence are a bit laidback to me. The 100hz lowshelf is just ny preference of a little more low presence and impact. Try it out guys. Im pairing it with chord hugo 2 IMG-20170731-WA0022.jpg Screenshot_20170731-224123.png

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #638 of 4,795
I think it's a bit more complicated. If you're looking for an isolating IEM then it's not really a contest as the i4 is, as you said, an open design. For me however I think of it differently. I tried out the KSE1500s wondering if they could replace my current IEMs (Tralucent Ref1Too with UberToo cable). I thought there were some things it did much better and others it didn't do as well. I tried out the Audeze LCD i4 also wondering if they could replace my current IEMs and I thought, yeah, forget my IEMs these could replace my full-size open back headphones. And they have.

It I can just talk crazy for a moment. I put on my HD800s the other day and I actually thought, "quaint," like you would going from a new laptop to an old desktop. I don't think open-back in-ears are going to actually obviate full-size headphones, but Audeze has shaken things up in a way that deserves some new thinking.

My current configuration runs OOYH (Smyth A16 on predorder) into a Simaudio Moon Neo 430HAD. The i4's open design with its weightless form factor combined with surround virtualization is like leapfrogging over full-size headphones to the feel of full-size speaker listening. I'm anxious to try it out with the A16. (I should mention my ear hooks have been significantly modified to reposition the drivers.) I'm not saying this is the future but it does feel like a glimpse of things to come.

Do you have a photo of modified ear hooks? I am loving my i4's (in a different way than my HD800S) but struggle with the ear locks and the ear hooks do not position the i4's in an ideal direction.

Does anyone have or know where I can find an audio frequency response graph of these?

Currently, my main interest in the FlaresPro by Flare Audio, as I'm trying to find something with more forward vocals and less bass quantity than the HiFiMan RE800 I have. So far, the FlaresPto looks promising in what I'm looking for, though the reviews of the i4 sounds very good too towards what I want. Although, I've never heard a Planar Magnetic before.

I'm looking for neutral to less than neutral bass quantity that still has some warmth in that the vocals are not artificial sounding like the balanced armature drivers I've heard. I want forward vocals with plenty of treble detail in a huge, airy, three dimensional surround sound-like environment with huge soundstage.

The description you provided is exactly how I would describe the i4's. However, even though the bass is definitely not in your face, they are not lacking at all. I find it the perfect balance for my preferred sound signature. I'm frankly on the hunt for the same sound signature in an isolating IEM knowing I'll have to sacrifice a bit of airiness in a closed form factor. I would love suggestions from others who have the i4's or have found the signature Arysyn described.

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #639 of 4,795
Ugh finally i got mine, off the batt i immediately realise it needs a minor tweak on dsp to sound its best. I find pianos a little too percussive n forward while the presence are a bit laidback to me. The 100hz lowshelf is just ny preference of a little more low presence and impact. Try it out guys. Im pairing it with chord hugo 2
If you're using Roon, KMann (from Audeze who is on this thread) has provided access to very well done filters and parametric eq settings for the i4's. The fairly simple parametric setting does well for piano while some of the filters adjust tone as well as staging.

Jul 31, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #640 of 4,795
If you're using Roon, KMann (from Audeze who is on this thread) has provided access to very well done filters and parametric eq settings for the i4's. The fairly simple parametric setting does well for piano while some of the filters adjust tone as well as staging.
Do you have the pmeq curve. I want to try the curve adjustment on my plugin it if possible

Jul 31, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #641 of 4,795

Wasn't that on the iSine thread? We still haven't seen measurements of the LCDi4 nor EQ recommendations for it.

Jul 31, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #642 of 4,795
Wasn't that on the iSine thread? We still haven't seen measurements of the LCDi4 nor EQ recommendations for it.

I met KMann through the ISINE thread and received links to drop box files for the LCDi4 from him in a private chat. He follows this thread so I'm sure he will respond but I had assumed he posted them some where in these 43 pages. He has numerous versions including an "out of your head" filter that is fun to play with. Here's the link to a basic filter for the i4. Not sure if it will work for you or not. https://www.dropbox.com/s/pmft7bmlp13go5q/Roon-i4-V4.zip?dl=0p These can work with the ISINEs too but he created these for the i4.

Jul 31, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #644 of 4,795
I met KMann through the ISINE thread and received links to drop box files for the LCDi4 from him in a private chat. He follows this thread so I'm sure he will respond but I had assumed he posted them some where in these 43 pages. He has numerous versions including an "out of your head" filter that is fun to play with. Here's the link to a basic filter for the i4. Not sure if it will work for you or not. https://www.dropbox.com/s/pmft7bmlp13go5q/Roon-i4-V4.zip?dl=0p These can work with the ISINEs too but he created these for the i4.

Thanks for these buddy. What are those .WAV files on the first link though?

Also, did he by any chance share i4's FR measurement?

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #645 of 4,795
Thanks for these buddy. What are those .WAV files on the first link though?

Also, did he by any chance share i4's FR measurement?
Were there wav files inside the zip file? If so, that is probably just part of the convolution filter. With Roon I simply download the zip file to my hard drive and than import the entire zip file into the convolution filter setting.

He did not share the FR measurement.

Side note.... It looks like he's changed some of the content within drop box so take it for what it's worth. I believe the pmeq setting is still the same one but it's probably best to get this directly from KMann. I had assumed he had posted them on this thread. Hopefully there wasn't a reason for him not to that I'm stepping on by posting what he sent me. He's been exceptionally helpful and a true asset for Audeze.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back