Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Jun 3, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #121 of 4,795
The Mojo is more than adequate for the LCD-i4, but I've enjoyed pairing them with a Sony TA-ZH1ES and Chord DAVE more. They scale incredibly well. As for end-game DAP, that I don't know. I haven't used them with a DAP all that much.
AxelCloris, I enjoy reading your posts, but DANG tell us what these puppies sound like! I'm going to be hooking these up to my Moon 430HA. We're talking over $5k and 8 watts (at 50 ohms) of silky smooth power to bring good things to life. I'm not trying to kill these buggers, but I am aiming to excite them and my ears. Oh those magnesium plates are going to giggle with delight after a listening session with yours truly. So I need some truth, no consequences will befall you as you have the Supremus status - is it true that the bass and sub bass rival the LCD 4's? I have a friend in the business who states the he prefers what I shall designate the i4's as being the superman in ear headphone. A good thumping combined with unrivalled clarity in the mids and highs. A 3-D sound in fact. Spaciousness that when run with a truly powerful and "clean" amp like mine will make superman fly!!!

Unlike others I do not mind the price (note a prior post in this section that I made). But, alas I too have a confession to make. Whilst my desire for the freedom for over the ear headphones is IMO is revolutionary, a technological marvel that deserves kudos to Audeze - if the can pull it off (and they better dang do it right. We Canadians put tiny stones in our snowballs and can throw a long ways). Okay, back to my confession. I have a large melon. I say large, others may say huge. Bottom line, my head is so out of proportion to the rest of my body that I'd need specially made headphones made for me. 6 2'. 178 lbs, good looking I may add, but the squash on this daddio. So rest in peace mom, sigh. AxelCloris, if you could take some pity on both the melon heads and the aliens, you know the greys that don't have the neck support to wear the large LCD 4's it would be great if you could provide us with a bit more information concerning the sound.

Thank you for your cooperation in this vital matter.

Pumpkin Head

Jun 3, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #122 of 4,795
AxelCloris, I enjoy reading your posts, but DANG tell us what these puppies sound like! I'm going to be hooking these up to my Moon 430HA. We're talking over $5k and 8 watts (at 50 ohms) of silky smooth power to bring good things to life. I'm not trying to kill these buggers, but I am aiming to excite them and my ears. Oh those magnesium plates are going to giggle with delight after a listening session with yours truly. So I need some truth, no consequences will befall you as you have the Supremus status - is it true that the bass and sub bass rival the LCD 4's? I have a friend in the business who states the he prefers what I shall designate the i4's as being the superman in ear headphone. A good thumping combined with unrivalled clarity in the mids and highs. A 3-D sound in fact. Spaciousness that when run with a truly powerful and "clean" amp like mine will make superman fly!!!

Unlike others I do not mind the price (note a prior post in this section that I made). But, alas I too have a confession to make. Whilst my desire for the freedom for over the ear headphones is IMO is revolutionary, a technological marvel that deserves kudos to Audeze - if the can pull it off (and they better dang do it right. We Canadians put tiny stones in our snowballs and can throw a long ways). Okay, back to my confession. I have a large melon. I say large, others may say huge. Bottom line, my head is so out of proportion to the rest of my body that I'd need specially made headphones made for me. 6 2'. 178 lbs, good looking I may add, but the squash on this daddio. So rest in peace mom, sigh. AxelCloris, if you could take some pity on both the melon heads and the aliens, you know the greys that don't have the neck support to wear the large LCD 4's it would be great if you could provide us with a bit more information concerning the sound.

Thank you for your cooperation in this vital matter.

Pumpkin Head

This post made me lol.

Since you mentioned price and I've been mulling it over the last few weeks, if these were more reasonably priced (in my opinion, that means that since the diaphragms used are 1/6 to 1/8 the size of those used on LCD-4's, you'd be paying about $4000/6 ~ $700 for the technology itself + $400-500 "novelty tax"), these should be around $1000-1200 USD.

There is no reason to price them so highly as to make them unobtainable for the "general" audiophile - someone who would, for example. buy Campfire Audio's Vega. I'm sure Campfire has sold at least 50 times more Vegas to the "general audiophile" population than either the JH has of the Layla or Emprie Ears have of the Zeus. And I've heard a lot of people say the Vega rivals - and is even sonically superior - the latter two I mentioned.

Jun 3, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #123 of 4,795
This post made me lol.

Since you mentioned price and I've been mulling it over the last few weeks, if these were more reasonably priced (in my opinion, that means that since the diaphragms used are 1/6 to 1/8 the size of those used on LCD-4's, you'd be paying about $4000/6 ~ $700 for the technology itself + $400-500 "novelty tax"), these should be around $1000-1200 USD.

There is no reason to price them so highly as to make them unobtainable for the "general" audiophile - someone who would, for example. buy Campfire Audio's Vega. I'm sure Campfire has sold at least 50 times more Vegas to the "general audiophile" population than either the JH has of the Layla or Emprie Ears have of the Zeus. And I've heard a lot of people say the Vega rivals - and is even sonically superior - the latter two I mentioned.

Imagine my surprise when arriving home a few moments ago to a message - "someone responded to your blah blah post..." Great I thought, who is the fool? No, of course I didn't think that! My immediate thoughts were what on earth could I have written that would illicit any particular response at all. Low and behold I the come across svk7 doubting that the Audeze i4's were reasonably priced, paying a novelty tax and strange goings on with respect to price/size relationships. All EXCELLENT points. As you are aware from the posted quote I am from Canuckistan so I must first say I'm sorry. Yes we are sorry for everything. Also as being blessed by the pope himself, Pope Justin Trudeau (whilst wearing a murse containing iSine 20's) I am sorry in advance for any and all times if feelings are hurt.

So here we go. Let's be men, assuming sir that you are a man. There is no way on God's earth that we should be speaking of diaphragms, their size, use or shape. Keep womanly things between women and let's just be happy we get to eat. Campfire Audio Vegas. Never heard them but I trust what others have claimed and that is that they fall well short of the Noble Kaiser K10's that I own. The iSine 20's blow them so far out of the water that IMO no IEM touches them. The ONLY thing that is a MINOR deterrent is leakage, and even that is overblown, if that is even possible. It would be a fools errand to chop up technology by making things divisible and adding a novelty tax, or in the computer world a ROTTEN APPLE tax. The world would be much easier if it worked like that. Real men think like that, and we are real men fighting'' and using laser guns if we could at every opportunity. There's a wall, I got this nice shiny laser gun. I wonder what it would look like with a big dang hole in it... It is for this reason that no apology is needed for going on about the "down under" diaphragm crap. It's not the kind of plumbing a real man messes with.

In conclusion Audeze should obviously raise their prices on the iSine 10 and 20's at least $200 a pop and keep the prices on the i4's until I get mine. As it stands the iSine's greatly outperform their competition in the IEM category. A new paradigm has been reached. If Audeze can crank these babies out en masse all IEM manufacturers deserve a good kick in the gonads for having gouged and manipulated the gullible minds of the CONsumer with number of drivers, exotic moulds and so on - for DECADES. Soon the i4's are going to be cannibalizing Audeze's own headphones and attacking the entire market. As for the Vega? Heck that was a car that we tossed onto a campfire at the end of a good night of partying.

I'm sorry,

The Pope's Emissary
Canuckistan

Jun 3, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #126 of 4,795
Imagine my surprise when arriving home a few moments ago to a message - "someone responded to your blah blah post..." Great I thought, who is the fool? No, of course I didn't think that! My immediate thoughts were what on earth could I have written that would illicit any particular response at all. Low and behold I the come across svk7 doubting that the Audeze i4's were reasonably priced, paying a novelty tax and strange goings on with respect to price/size relationships. All EXCELLENT points. As you are aware from the posted quote I am from Canuckistan so I must first say I'm sorry. Yes we are sorry for everything. Also as being blessed by the pope himself, Pope Justin Trudeau (whilst wearing a murse containing iSine 20's) I am sorry in advance for any and all times if feelings are hurt.

So here we go. Let's be men, assuming sir that you are a man. There is no way on God's earth that we should be speaking of diaphragms, their size, use or shape. Keep womanly things between women and let's just be happy we get to eat. Campfire Audio Vegas. Never heard them but I trust what others have claimed and that is that they fall well short of the Noble Kaiser K10's that I own. The iSine 20's blow them so far out of the water that IMO no IEM touches them. The ONLY thing that is a MINOR deterrent is leakage, and even that is overblown, if that is even possible. It would be a fools errand to chop up technology by making things divisible and adding a novelty tax, or in the computer world a ROTTEN APPLE tax. The world would be much easier if it worked like that. Real men think like that, and we are real men fighting'' and using laser guns if we could at every opportunity. There's a wall, I got this nice shiny laser gun. I wonder what it would look like with a big dang hole in it... It is for this reason that no apology is needed for going on about the "down under" diaphragm crap. It's not the kind of plumbing a real man messes with.

In conclusion Audeze should obviously raise their prices on the iSine 10 and 20's at least $200 a pop and keep the prices on the i4's until I get mine. As it stands the iSine's greatly outperform their competition in the IEM category. A new paradigm has been reached. If Audeze can crank these babies out en masse all IEM manufacturers deserve a good kick in the gonads for having gouged and manipulated the gullible minds of the CONsumer with number of drivers, exotic moulds and so on - for DECADES. Soon the i4's are going to be cannibalizing Audeze's own headphones and attacking the entire market. As for the Vega? Heck that was a car that we tossed onto a campfire at the end of a good night of partying.

I'm sorry,

The Pope's Emissary
Canuckistan

I know the LCD-i4 drivers are extremely revealing, but wow...:astonished::blush:

Jun 3, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #127 of 4,795
Deftone I am wondering the same thing. I am assuming that might be an alcohol related post.
Au contraire, I am a writer. It may be questioned as to whether talent exists or not, but I once wrote as a daily columnist for all of the Southam News outlets (120+) papers, the Globe & Mail, Marketnews to name a few. Satirical articles were my specialty. I retired in 2001 as a writer, an Apple developer and as an inventor/entrepreneur. The posts are quite coherent if you take the time to read them carefully. In fact there is quite a bit of humour hidden in a few spots that probably have gone unnoticed.

It is quite simple to write an opinion and leave it at that. I see it all the time. Perhaps it is time for a new energy to emerge in the way we think and write. It surely can't hurt to inject humour into our lives. I can simply state that I listened for nothing other than my iSine 20's for two days, went back to my K10's and found that they lacked in almost every way, but that would be too simple. But I'll go further. The K10's sound was in my head. Nice melodies in the higher frequencies, but down at the 10 to 60khz things fell apart. The iSines were open in each and every way. Spatial. 360 degrees of excellence. Do I recommend them over the Vegas? Of course. The Harvey's? Dang right I do. And what about the i4's? Do I recommend them to others without hearing them? Conditionally yes.

Communication is pleasure. It should be engaging, confusing at times - but evoke a response to solicit a conversation. That is what I do. That is why I joined this fine forum. Not to just lecture but to learn I became aware of the iSines from Head-Fi. It is a pleasure to have written the few posts that I have authored to date for this site.

All the best,

Pope Rotten Apple

Jun 3, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #128 of 4,795
Au contraire, I am a writer. It may be questioned as to whether talent exists or not, but I once wrote as a daily columnist for all of the Southam News outlets (120+) papers, the Globe & Mail, Marketnews to name a few. Satirical articles were my specialty. I retired in 2001 as a writer, an Apple developer and as an inventor/entrepreneur. The posts are quite coherent if you take the time to read them carefully. In fact there is quite a bit of humour hidden in a few spots that probably have gone unnoticed.

It is quite simple to write an opinion and leave it at that. I see it all the time. Perhaps it is time for a new energy to emerge in the way we think and write. It surely can't hurt to inject humour into our lives. I can simply state that I listened for nothing other than my iSine 20's for two days, went back to my K10's and found that they lacked in almost every way, but that would be too simple. But I'll go further. The K10's sound was in my head. Nice melodies in the higher frequencies, but down at the 10 to 60khz things fell apart. The iSines were open in each and every way. Spatial. 360 degrees of excellence. Do I recommend them over the Vegas? Of course. The Harvey's? Dang right I do. And what about the i4's? Do I recommend them to others without hearing them? Conditionally yes.

Communication is pleasure. It should be engaging, confusing at times - but evoke a response to solicit a conversation. That is what I do. That is why I joined this fine forum. Not to just lecture but to learn I became aware of the iSines from Head-Fi. It is a pleasure to have written the few posts that I have authored to date for this site.

All the best,

Pope Rotten Apple

I like a good/entertaining read. It seemed you accomplished your goal of evoking responses. Welcome to Head-Fi!

Jun 3, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #130 of 4,795
I swear if I had more money than I knew what to do with I would have pretty much everything Audeze makes. I'd happily have a 4, Sine, and i4 with a King amp.

Jun 3, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #131 of 4,795
I swear if I had more money than I knew what to do with I would have pretty much everything Audeze makes. I'd happily have a 4, Sine, and i4 with a King amp.

If I was the same boat, I would have a Sennheiser HE-1 set...inside my $125 million mansion...with a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO parked in the driveway...and my $30 million private jet parked next to my backyard runway. :fingers_crossed:

Jun 3, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #132 of 4,795
If I was the same boat, I would have a Sennheiser HE-1 set...inside my $125 million mansion...with a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO parked in the driveway...and my $30 million private jet parked next to my backyard runway. :fingers_crossed:

TBH I love the Audeze sound too much.

Although I really, really, really want to check out the HFM Susvara. Pretty much the only product that threatens to pull me away from buying the LCD-4.

Jun 3, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #133 of 4,795
Many of my friends I've had since high school/University. I'd have to say that if there was one thing that has kept us friends is that the one trait that they have is that they are "salt of the earth" people. Genuine, caring and perhaps a little bit crazy. And then there was me. Let's leave it at that. I had the knack at making money and retiring in my 40's. That's what I wanted. Some of my friends wanted prestigious careers, others just wanted simple jobs and have families. Money didn't play a big role in their lives, still doesn't. With my son I have tried to instill values and respect of others. Money management so that as he got older was to be of great value as I planned to live a long time. Haven't tasted arsenic in my food to date...

Bottom line, and there always is one with me. We are living in perhaps the greatest time in human history for the general population to make money. For two thousand years bankers have held sway over the control of our currency/money/debt. The government has manipulated the price of the dollar, suppressed the price of silver, gold, platinum and exchange rates between all currencies. Then suddenly crypto currencies came along. OMG something that the government with all of its wisdom cannot control. Bitcoin goes from pennies to over 2,000. Most likely it will go over 10,000. But that price is too rich you say. For many it is, and at that price it involves significant risk. The sleeping wonder is Etherium which IMO, and this is not financial advice, is likely to quadruple in value within the next year. You are likely to get 3 percent return on your investment at the bank whilst true inflation is around 6 percent. My son has a high paying job, and just with bitcoin purchased a 800k house plus acreage nearby. We switched over from bitcoin to etherium.

Now to turn this into a true Head-Fi post, take some of your profits, purchase everything Audeze makes including the King amp. But two sets for each floor of your mansion.

Don't your ears deserve it?
Aren't you worth it?

You know you are...

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #134 of 4,795
Many of my friends I've had since high school/University. I'd have to say that if there was one thing that has kept us friends is that the one trait that they have is that they are "salt of the earth" people. Genuine, caring and perhaps a little bit crazy. And then there was me. Let's leave it at that. I had the knack at making money and retiring in my 40's. That's what I wanted. Some of my friends wanted prestigious careers, others just wanted simple jobs and have families. Money didn't play a big role in their lives, still doesn't. With my son I have tried to instill values and respect of others. Money management so that as he got older was to be of great value as I planned to live a long time. Haven't tasted arsenic in my food to date...

Bottom line, and there always is one with me. We are living in perhaps the greatest time in human history for the general population to make money. For two thousand years bankers have held sway over the control of our currency/money/debt. The government has manipulated the price of the dollar, suppressed the price of silver, gold, platinum and exchange rates between all currencies. Then suddenly crypto currencies came along. OMG something that the government with all of its wisdom cannot control. Bitcoin goes from pennies to over 2,000. Most likely it will go over 10,000. But that price is too rich you say. For many it is, and at that price it involves significant risk. The sleeping wonder is Etherium which IMO, and this is not financial advice, is likely to quadruple in value within the next year. You are likely to get 3 percent return on your investment at the bank whilst true inflation is around 6 percent. My son has a high paying job, and just with bitcoin purchased a 800 house plus acreage nearby. We switched over from bitcoin to etherium.

Now to turn this into a true Head-Fi post, take some of your profits, purchase everything Audeze makes including the King amp. But two sets for each floor of your mansion.

Don't your ears deserve it?
Aren't you worth it?

You know you are...

To be fair, I am sure I know of those who had bitcoins in 2010...but probably had those bitcoins seized years later before cashing them out...to buy whatever fueled their addiction.

So before this thread turns into a writer's workshop, I do think that the LCD-i4 is a phenomenal piece of audio that can fit in your pocket, but suggestions on how to use it and where to use it would greatly be appreciated.

Jun 3, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #135 of 4,795
AxelCloris, I enjoy reading your posts, but DANG tell us what these puppies sound like! I'm going to be hooking these up to my Moon 430HA.
Sorry Rotten Apple, but the pair that I've been using is a pre-production version that, while close, isn't 100% production voiced. It's why I haven't given any specific detailed sound impressions. My time with the production voicing has been brief, but I think a lot of listeners are going to like them. I'll see if I can pair the production voiced pair with our 430HAD sometime this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back