Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Aug 3, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #4,651 of 4,799
I will try to find a 3d printer maybe in Houston. Didn't know you were in Japan. Much thanks for the post about this. Super cool!

Aug 3, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #4,652 of 4,799
Definitely worth it!
Though make sure it's PLA+ material. For additional info the person was using PRUSA I3 printer.
I tried resin, they break easily. Tried TPU like material too, super flexible and definitely won't break. But also won't hook properly as they are flexible.

The data is linked in my previous reply.
Hmm, sending might costs so much in the shipping from Japan. Though I'm pretty sure there should be 3D printing service somewhere, since plenty 3d printer owner usually will open such services.
But If you don't mind I can try! Maybe I can send it next week.
Thanks again for the information on the material to request. I found a few 3D printing services around my way. Going to call and inquire tomorrow.

Aug 4, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #4,653 of 4,799
Aug 4, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #4,655 of 4,799
Spinfit W1.
Though after using this earhook, even moondop springtips are comfortable. Since i4 flying away from ear is no longer issue now.
I wasn't sure if it was the W1 but it looked like it. Thank you for confirming. Have you tried the Azla Xelastec Eartips? They're pretty good and very comfortable as well.

Aug 4, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #4,656 of 4,799
I wasn't sure if it was the W1 but it looked like it. Thank you for confirming. Have you tried the Azla Xelastec Eartips? They're pretty good and very comfortable as well.
Yeah been considering that. I probably will try it when I'm back to Japan next week. Along with other eartips.

Just don't really like how it easily collects dust hahaha.

Aug 4, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #4,657 of 4,799
Been using 3d printed hooks recently. Super durable and very easy to reshape to fully hook my ear. https://streamable.com/leug9c
Now It wont even slide out when I shake my head. Vid : https://streamable.com/gp6jrm
Model used : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3277948 with filename [iSine_hook_ori_replica_TL.STL]
Material : PLA+
Printer : Prusa i3 MK3S+

Tested resin material too before, it breaks easily and not easy to bend.
TPU material is flexible and definitely won't break. But it doesn't hook that well, almost as if not using earhook (might need to make it thick).

1691118529702.png

Printed plenty for spares!
But from the look of it, this is more durable than stock earhook. Also thousand times more comfortable due to how easy it is to reshape.
1691118640269.png
Wow thank you for this, that is absolutely amazing. I needed some more earhooks so I contacted Audeze to purchase, they just sent me some for free. But I will definitely try getting these printed!

On another note, I am absolutely loving the LCD-i4s. Imaging is pinpoint precise, soundstage is even more vast vs the isine20, bass hits so low and is quite literally effortless, I am stunned that they are more impactful than my 2Cs (and much cleaner). Comfort with the Xelastecs are sublime, they disappear in the ears and sound like I am in a live concert! These 100% match the SQ I get out of my Bang & Olufsen sound system. IEMs have been innovating for years, getting better and better, but these "IEMs" from 2017 are better than anything on the market IMO. Sound just comes from all directions, you don't feel the drivers doing work, its all just there. The imaging and transparency on these are truly unrivalled in the IEM space.

Recently watched Justin Gray's video on his Audeze headphones, the way he describes the LCD-4 and LCD-4z really nails the qualities of the LCD-i4s. I have been reading this thread for a while now and have read previously that some think the LCD-i4 NEEDS a Hugo 2 or equivalent setup to sound "good". I respectfully disagree, I have run these fine with just the bluetooth cable (no EQ) and my preferred way is to run them with EQ either on the Gustard R26 or Cayin RU7 when I need to run portably. On either setup, the LCD-i4 SQ is absolutely incredible.

IMG_6323.jpg

Aug 4, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #4,658 of 4,799
Yeah been considering that. I probably will try it when I'm back to Japan next week. Along with other eartips.

Just don't really like how it easily collects dust hahaha.
I use alcohol pads on the Xelastecs before each listening session. They might help.

Aug 4, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #4,659 of 4,799
Wow thank you for this, that is absolutely amazing. I needed some more earhooks so I contacted Audeze to purchase, they just sent me some for free. But I will definitely try getting these printed!

On another note, I am absolutely loving the LCD-i4s. Imaging is pinpoint precise, soundstage is even more vast vs the isine20, bass hits so low and is quite literally effortless, I am stunned that they are more impactful than my 2Cs (and much cleaner). Comfort with the Xelastecs are sublime, they disappear in the ears and sound like I am in a live concert! These 100% match the SQ I get out of my Bang & Olufsen sound system. IEMs have been innovating for years, getting better and better, but these "IEMs" from 2017 are better than anything on the market IMO. Sound just comes from all directions, you don't feel the drivers doing work, its all just there. The imaging and transparency on these are truly unrivalled in the IEM space.

Recently watched Justin Gray's video on his Audeze headphones, the way he describes the LCD-4 and LCD-4z really nails the qualities of the LCD-i4s. I have been reading this thread for a while now and have read previously that some think the LCD-i4 NEEDS a Hugo 2 or equivalent setup to sound "good". I respectfully disagree, I have run these fine with just the bluetooth cable (no EQ) and my preferred way is to run them with EQ either on the Gustard R26 or Cayin RU7 when I need to run portably. On either setup, the LCD-i4 SQ is absolutely incredible.

IMG_6323.jpg
Which Cable are you using?

Aug 4, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #4,660 of 4,799
Been using 3d printed hooks recently. Super durable and very easy to reshape to fully hook my ear. https://streamable.com/leug9c
Now It wont even slide out when I shake my head. Vid : https://streamable.com/gp6jrm
Model used : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3277948 with filename [iSine_hook_ori_replica_TL.STL]
Material : PLA+
Printer : Prusa i3 MK3S+

Tested resin material too before, it breaks easily and not easy to bend.
TPU material is flexible and definitely won't break. But it doesn't hook that well, almost as if not using earhook (might need to make it thick).

1691118529702.png

Printed plenty for spares!
But from the look of it, this is more durable than stock earhook. Also thousand times more comfortable due to how easy it is to reshape.
1691118640269.png
Did you print these at 0.1mm height? my local Printer can only do .4mm

Aug 4, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #4,661 of 4,799
Which Cable are you using?
These are just some cheap generic balanced cables, I have these for now until my custom cable is ready =)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F1H9Z41?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
I like them better than the stock cable, IDK why Audeze decided to put the Y-split so high up.

I use alcohol pads on the Xelastecs before each listening session. They might help.
Yeah honestly even without the pads, the xelastecs aren't that bad. The stickiness of the material is what contributes to the dust build up, weekly cleans help a lot in that regard.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #4,663 of 4,799
They will go deeper if you want, I just have it where it makes a good enough seal for good bass reproduction. Typically I use small eartips but because of the wide nozzle, a slightly bigger eartip is preferred. I tried the spinfits but they just aren't as comfortable as AZLAs. Previously I was using the Max Standards but the Xelastecs are even better at staying on with or without earhooks!

Thank you very much for bringing up Xelastec tips, I now have them and they are best rubber tips so far. And just like you said, they help keeping the whole ear piece in ear canal, plastic hooks are almost unnecessary now, even while jogging. It's the rubbery, sticky material and it sticks to ears.
Sound excellent, fit also better than Spinfits.
My main issue with LCDi4, them falling out of ear now solved, after, what, 3 years :D
Thank you!

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #4,664 of 4,799
Thank you very much for bringing up Xelastec tips, I now have them and they are best rubber tips so far. And just like you said, they help keeping the whole ear piece in ear canal, plastic hooks are almost unnecessary now, even while jogging. It's the rubbery, sticky material and it sticks to ears.
Sound excellent, fit also better than Spinfits.
My main issue with LCDi4, them falling out of ear now solved, after, what, 3 years :D
Thank you!
No problem, I’m glad I could help! The LCD-i4 are truly endgame for me. I might have joined a bit late to the game but even with what’s out on the market, nothing quite matches the i4s for me!

Aug 13, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #4,665 of 4,799
No problem, I’m glad I could help! The LCD-i4 are truly endgame for me. I might have joined a bit late to the game but even with what’s out on the market, nothing quite matches the i4s for me!
Very much same, LCDi4 are above any armature IEM, they beat almost all full size headphones that I've listened to, there is only handful of full size that beat i4.
The only comparable IEM are Shure electrostatic KSE 1500 and KSE 1200, in some aspects I like KSE better, they seem to have even lower distortion. Downside to Shure, memory foam tips become uncomfortable after several hours, but they do offer better isolation to outside noise. But this level of isolation has some downside, walking on buzy areas you are unaware of almost all street noise, sometimes it is good to not block all outside noise.
Then there is a issue of mandatory Shure amp, together with a DAP the stack is large enough that I'd rather not carry it while walking.
Sound of Shure KSE is out of this world, the lack of distortion, call it clarity, transparency is disarming.
But I'm also sticking with LCDi4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back