Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Jan 22, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #4,186 of 4,795
Any suggestions for 4.4 balanced cable for i4? Ideally under $1k.
Any silver cable will do. My Ted Allen one was a quarter what your budget is. You can get all fancy with custom sleeving with Norne if you don't mind the wait. That's what I would do if I had several hundred burning a hole in my pocket.

Jan 23, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #4,187 of 4,795
Any silver cable will do. My Ted Allen one was a quarter what your budget is. You can get all fancy with custom sleeving with Norne if you don't mind the wait. That's what I would do if I had several hundred burning a hole in my pocket.

Noted. Those Norne cables look nice so I’ll probably go with that. I was thinking about plus sound tri silver, but I got on the list for the Norne cables.

Jan 29, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #4,188 of 4,795
This is going to be a disaster, not going to make any friends here, but we're way past that.

A $400 cable is part of LCD i4 package, $2500 IEM, most people would agree this is expensive head gear. No expensive to me, given what Planars, and Planar IEMs are capable of. To me they are near end game, couple of thousand is not much for State Of The Art.

However, I never enjoyed being taken for a ride. Unfortunately part of the (relativly) high cost of i4 is the cable, it makes up roughly one fifth of the cost.
With no way to opt out, no way to buy LCDi4 for $2100 USD.

2 photos now. First is off pic fromfrom Au web store, their $400 LCDi4 cable.

Second pic below, my isine 20, with a balanced cable, a well made cable with all metal plugs, well grounded. Plugs on my cable are polished Al.

Audeze cable seems superficially similar, it also uses Al plugs, the only difference, plugs are Anodised black. Anodising does not add significantly to overall cost.

Look closely at the pic of my cable's TRRS plug, there is another 2.5mm TRRS plug next to the cable. Looks familiar? Anybody wants to guess how that plug costs? And how much my Balanced cable costs?

LCDi4_PremiumBraidedCable_0.jpg

Audeze 25mm TRRS cable.jpg

Bedroom is dark. Another pic of this plug, close up:

Audeze plug 2.jpg
What I see is a huge Cuban link and an Omega Speedy but it’s not Tuesday so I am confused as to why they are in the pic 😉 just breaking your balls mate. Cheers

Feb 1, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #4,189 of 4,795
For me the i4 is my favorite phone bar none. I think it is just such an innovation of performance and design.

I am looking for a conventional closed IEM that can complement it in noisy, crowded situations. By "complement" I mean, get as possible to replicating its spacious full-size soundstage with a closed transducer.

So far, I'm looking at: Traillii, Thummim, Odin. Any thoughts on these or similar IEMs as compared to the i4?

Feb 1, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #4,190 of 4,795
For me the i4 is my favorite phone bar none. I think it is just such an innovation of performance and design.

I am looking for a conventional closed IEM that can complement it in noisy, crowded situations. By "complement" I mean, get as possible to replicating its spacious full-size soundstage with a closed transducer.

So far, I'm looking at: Traillii, Thummim, Odin. Any thoughts on these or similar IEMs as compared to the i4?

I don't know what you listen to but I thought it was interesting what Sajit said in comparison of his bass review. I always thought the i4 could slam well and had great bass and often wondered if I ever got an iem that i'd want the same as you. I was seriously thinking U12T or Z1R but now I don't think so.

Feb 6, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #4,191 of 4,795
Does any body use these with an ak player (Sp2k)? I’m just wondering if those players have enough eq function to get these working well

Feb 6, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #4,192 of 4,795

Softears Turii.
Thank me later😎

Feb 6, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #4,193 of 4,795
Are these at end of life or are they still a supported product?

Feb 6, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #4,194 of 4,795
Pretty much end of life. Audeze doesn't make them anymore from what I can tell. We haven't really seen any new products after the LCD-i3 so there may not be an LCD-i5.

Feb 8, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #4,195 of 4,795

I’ve never heard the thummim, so can’t comment there, but I have both the Odin and Trailli and both are great, although neither will quite match the expaniveness of the i4. The Trailli has the widest soundstage I’ve heard in closed iem and has a slight edge in terms of giving you that “in the room feeling” and completely disappearing. It has the best highs I’ve heard and excels at the little nuances that give it a realism that I haven’t heard matched by any closed back iem. The Odin is still very realistic though, may have a touch more soundstage depth, and is a little more dynamic and exciting—if it were a writer, it would use a lot of exclamation points. Odin also has better bass than the trailli and more i4 like slam (though Trailli has has about as good an implementation of BA bass as I’ve heard). Hope that helps

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #4,196 of 4,795

The only comparable IEM to LCDI4 are Shure KSE 1500 and KSE 1200 Electrostatic.
They are sound isolating due to memory foam rubber tips, built is similar to Shure SE846 and SE535.
Sound of Shure KSE Electrostatics Is mind-blowing, I have listened to them extensively, and seems distortion is even lower than Audeze LCDI4.

Feb 9, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #4,197 of 4,795
The only comparable IEM to LCDI4 are Shure KSE 1500 and KSE 1200 Electrostatic.
They are sound isolating due to memory foam rubber tips, built is similar to Shure SE846 and SE535.
Sound of Shure KSE Electrostatics Is mind-blowing, I have listened to them extensively, and seems distortion is even lower than Audeze LCDI4.
I’ve heard the KSE1500s, and though there is a lot to like, they don’t have the i4’s texture, scale, and openness. What I’m looking for are closed IEMs that present like full-size phones. The Shure electrostats are faster and give you a different sense of immersion and realism, but I’m specifically after the i4s rendering and attributes. It looks like the Traillii may come closest.

Feb 9, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #4,198 of 4,795
I’ve heard the KSE1500s, and though there is a lot to like, they don’t have the i4’s texture, scale, and openness. What I’m looking for are closed IEMs that present like full-size phones. The Shure electrostats are faster and give you a different sense of immersion and realism, but I’m specifically after the i4s rendering and attributes. It looks like the Traillii may come closest.
You may asking for impossible.
LCDi4 with right Spinfit rubber tips come very close to being very best headphones at any price, IEM or full size.

I have listened to every full size Focal, Audezes LCD 4, and every Stax, they are all offered in Hong Kong, Singapore audio stores. To me, only Stax 007 and 009 beat LCDi4, but, very important, LCDi4 with right rubber tips, factory tips that come with Audeze are not optimal.
Stax 009s are considered by many the best headphones in existence, LCDi4 are in same ball park, it may be impossible to find closed, sealed IEM that are as good as LCDi4. Open back headphones always have advantage over sealed, because they don't have to deal with backwave of sealed phones, that makes your quest even more difficult.

Feb 9, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #4,199 of 4,795
So glad I bought an i4 few months back! Shockingly good! Was quite happy with stock sound but after applying KMANN's original EQ for iSine it's become divine!

Just got some 8w pure silver cables and will see how it goes! As far as complementary iem goes, I got new Jolene's few weeks back and that has amazing bass texture, massive sound and superb stage for closed back iem! If you love metal and rock songs, that's the iem for you! Very analogue sound.

I also bought the Phönix yesterday for days when I just want to kickback and listen to some acoustic based songs, or blues, jazz, etc!!

Feb 9, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #4,200 of 4,795
I had a problem with my lcdi4 long out of warranty and contacted Audeze and volunteered to pay to have them repaired. I was told they wouldn’t and the best they would do is offer me a small rebate on purchasing a different pair of Audeze headphones. Fortunately, though the service chap didn’t know about it, they had a service bulletin which allowed me to repair them my self. So no they’re no longer a supported product

Users who are viewing this thread

Back