Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
May 13, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #3,466 of 4,795
May 13, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #3,467 of 4,795
7.5. / 7 / 5 / 2.5 / 2.5 / 2.5 / 3.5 / 5.5 / 7 / 7.5 :)

Doesn't sound greatest for electronic music...or anything with plenty of bass for that matter.

Great for Stevie Wonder type music. If only there were eq settings to work equally well with all music...

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #3,469 of 4,795
May 13, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #3,471 of 4,795
Probably digital clipping.
Did you compensate the EQ gain, e.g. apply a ~ -7.5dB gain before the EQ?

Nope, will give it a go.
So I should be applying the gain PRIOR to setting up the eq?

Sorry to be asking obvious questions, rather new to this

May 13, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #3,472 of 4,795
Probably digital clipping.
Did you compensate the EQ gain, e.g. apply a ~ -7.5dB gain before the EQ?

This is much better, thanks. Still a bit of distortion at the top end of the range.

May 13, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #3,473 of 4,795
Nope, will give it a go.
So I should be applying the gain PRIOR to setting up the eq?

Sorry to be asking obvious questions, rather new to this
I'm not sure what app you're using (is the Equalizer in the picture from TIDAL's own app? If yes I can't find it on iOS).
Some apps offer a post-processing (DSP) chain with various components, like Roon or UAPP. In those, you want to apply "headroom compensation" prior to applying the EQ.
In Roon, you can either use the dedicated "Headroom compensation" feature, or apply it in the parametric equalizer directly (there's a slider on the right to offset the whole EQ up or down).

Alternatively, you can just shift all the EQ values down -7.5, so that you're actually only attenuating and the max gain is 0 dB.

May 13, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #3,474 of 4,795
@NYanakiev Just updated my EQ settings a couple of weeks ago. In my setup (WM1Z), it works well with all types of music. You can make adjustments accordingly to fit your setup better. Also tried this EQ on N6ii (UAPP), and need minor adjustments.

DAP: WM1Z, FW 3.02, Region E, upgraded to Ultimate 1.02
Cable: Norne Silvergarde SX, 4.4mm

31 +6.0
62 +4.5
125 +1.5
250 -1.5
500 -1.5
1K -2.5
2K +0.5
4K +8.5
8K -1.0
16K -5.0

Sony specific:
DSEE HX: Standard
DC Phase Linearizer: Type A Low
Vinyl Processor: Turntable Resonance
DSD output: PCM

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #3,475 of 4,795
I'm not sure what app you're using (is the Equalizer in the picture from TIDAL's own app? If yes I can't find it on iOS).
Some apps offer a post-processing (DSP) chain with various components, like Roon or UAPP. In those, you want to apply "headroom compensation" prior to applying the EQ.
In Roon, you can either use the dedicated "Headroom compensation" feature, or apply it in the parametric equalizer directly (there's a slider on the right to offset the whole EQ up or down).

Alternatively, you can just shift all the EQ values down -7.5, so that you're actually only attenuating and the max gain is 0 dB.

USB Audio Player Pro on my Cayin N6ii with E02 (balanced)

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #3,476 of 4,795
@NYanakiev Just updated my EQ settings a couple of weeks ago. In my setup (WM1Z), it works well with all types of music. You can make adjustments accordingly to fit your setup better. Also tried this EQ on N6ii (UAPP), and need minor adjustments.

DAP: WM1Z, FW 3.02, Region E, upgraded to Ultimate 1.02
Cable: Norne Silvergarde SX, 4.4mm

31 +6.0
62 +4.5
125 +1.5
250 -1.5
500 -1.5
1K -2.5
2K +0.5
4K +8.5
8K -1.0
16K -5.0

Sony specific:
DSEE HX: Standard
DC Phase Linearizer: Type A Low
Vinyl Processor: Turntable Resonance
DSD output: PCM

Thanks, this is really helpful.
What were the adjustments for your N6ii? Does the above require a specific Gain setting?

May 13, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #3,477 of 4,795
Thanks, this is really helpful.
What were the adjustments for your N6ii? Does the above require a specific Gain setting?

I didn’t take note of the adjustment on N6ii but I think reduce 4K, 16K, and add a bit on 125 and 250 to add more weight.

And no, I didn’t make any adjustment on gain setting.

May 14, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #3,478 of 4,795
Well personally, I use the Audeze presets in Roon for all my Audeze headphones, and that simplifies things for me quite a bit. I did find this "public service announcement" that you might find useful :

Public Service Announcement: EQ settings for all Audeze headphones

clip_image001.png

Hi!

Audeze recently released their Reveal Software, which has been talked about in this subreddit already.
The Audeze Reveal Software is essentially a very specific filter, a fixed EQ curve to correct the frequency response of their headphones. Contrary to previous guesses, there is no virtual surround sound or other crossfeed, it's only a compensation of frequency response.
The idea is that Audeze has a very specific target as to what the frequency response of a headphone should look like, and if you add the EQ settings that are stored in the Reveal-plugin to the "natural" frequency response of their specific headphone models, the resulting frequency response matches their target response much more closely than can be done by conventional acoustic tuning.
The target curve that Audeze uses is slightly different but similar to the Harman Target Curve.

The Audeze Reveal Software comes in the form of a VST/AU-plugin, which is a common format of effect processors used in digital audio production, VST plugins can be used with virtually any decent Music Production Software (called "Digital Audio Workstation", DAW), and there are ways you can load VST plugins directly into your main audio output even when using other Music Player software (Spotify, ...).

NOW, since not everybody has a system that can host VST plugins I decided to measure the frequency response of the Reveal-plugin, so you can implement them with your own EQ (Equalizer APO / Peace, or whatever you have available).

Link to the Imgur-Album containing the frequency responses of the individual EQ settings

By the way, the EQ settings for the iSine-series are similar but not identical to the DSP-setting of the Cipher cable.
Remember, the Cipher cable contains a DSP that drastically changes the frequency response.

These are the frequency responses of the Audeze iSine10, the iSine20 and the LCD-2 (with Fazor) with their respective EQ settings applied.
All measurements taken with an industry-standard coupler ("711 coupler"), the GRAS 43AC / 43AG.

The attached frequency response of the Reveal Plug for the LCDi4 looks like this :

8 - LCDi4.png

And the PEQ Equivalent of the Cipher cable, according to @KMann , looks like this :

17- LCDi4Cipher.png

Hope this helps a little

What would this look like on USB Audio Player Pro's 10 band eq? (or its 6 band PEQ)?

May 14, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #3,479 of 4,795
What would this look like on USB Audio Player Pro's 10 band eq? (or its 6 band PEQ)?

After trying suggested settings from others, I use a simplified PEQ setting that I believe sounds very close to the Reveal Plugin. I prefer 80% wet which is what I tuned my settings so if you want more or less, just increase/decrease the dB amounts in .1 increments.

1) Low Shelf - 100 Hz, 3 dB, 0.85 Q
2) Analog Bell - 2895 Hz, 6 dB, 2 Q
3) Analog Bell - 10000 Hz, -4 dB, 5 Q
4) Analog Bell - 1000, -1.8 dB, 0.4 Q

The resulting curve looks nearly identical to what I see using the Reveal Plugin. You can add a couple more, but I personally couldn't hear any difference:

5) Analog Bell - 11000 Hz, 1.1 dB, 1.34 Q
6) Analog Bell - 6000 Hz, 0.8 dB, 1.2 Q

I stuck with the first 4 to allow for easier tuning to my personal preference. Also, I think UAPP has built in gain adjustment since I don't hear any clipping. However, when I use Reveal Plugin with Audirvana I have to lower gain by -4 dB to avoid clipping. Each player is different so have to use your ears.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #3,480 of 4,795
After trying suggested settings from others, I use a simplified PEQ setting that I believe sounds very close to the Reveal Plugin. I prefer 80% wet which is what I tuned my settings so if you want more or less, just increase/decrease the dB amounts in .1 increments.

1) Low Shelf - 100 Hz, 3 dB, 0.85 Q
2) Analog Bell - 2895 Hz, 6 dB, 2 Q
3) Analog Bell - 10000 Hz, -4 dB, 5 Q
4) Analog Bell - 1000, -1.8 dB, 0.4 Q

The resulting curve looks nearly identical to what I see using the Reveal Plugin. You can add a couple more, but I personally couldn't hear any difference:

5) Analog Bell - 11000 Hz, 1.1 dB, 1.34 Q
6) Analog Bell - 6000 Hz, 0.8 dB, 1.2 Q

I stuck with the first 4 to allow for easier tuning to my personal preference. Also, I think UAPP has built in gain adjustment since I don't hear any clipping. However, when I use Reveal Plugin with Audirvana I have to lower gain by -4 dB to avoid clipping. Each player is different so have to use your ears.

Sounds good for music without much bass. Getting clipping on more brassy tracks.

Is this a pain or what :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back