Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Jun 25, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #301 of 4,795
@reddog, I'd be interested to hear your impressions on how your i4's compare to some of your other headphones. You have a lot of heavy hitters in your collection and it would be very interesting to hear your impressions.

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #302 of 4,795
@Audeze
I received my brand new pair of i4's today, connected the cable, made sure the groove was oriented correctly, connected them to my iPhone 6+ and had no sound whatsoever on both sides, they were completely death. Tried other IEM with my iPhone and they were playing music so it wasn't my source. Removed the cable from both sides, carefully connected both ends again, and no sound. When I disconnected the cable, both sides fit snugly, and it didn't take much for the plastic caps that cover the 2-pin soldering to come unglued, on both sides. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong and wanted to ask if anybody else had this issue. I already sent a message to the Audeze Support Center describing the issue. My gut tells me that it might be just a faulty cable, so hopefully they will solve this issue quickly. Still a very disappointing experience.:unamused:

This shouldnt really be happening with in ears at this insane price range. Same sorta thing happened with someones new 64audio Tia forte, the 2 pin connectors broke away from the earphone before he had the change to listen.

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #303 of 4,795
Notice: I, Sir Rotten of Apples hereby authorize the renaming of Main St. to be hereforth named Audeze St.

Oh the excitement is building here in Kanada. It is estimated that in a mere 12 hours the Audeze i4s shall be delivered to this humble gentleman and then the fun shall begin!
The countdown has begun and the populace has begun to mass in the town square...

Image-1.jpg

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #304 of 4,795
My LCD i4 has arrived. The sound is fantastic, so natural and detailed. The bass is deep and textured and does not intrude upon the sweet sounding mids. Likewise the highs are resolving and clear without being bright. The soundstage large, detailed and holographic.

I bet! how do they sound with metal?

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #305 of 4,795
Just got home from HiFiCentre's Vancouver Audio Festival. Some great gear there including Susvara, LCD-4, Utopia, Focal Grand Utopia speaker, etc.. My intent was to hear the Sennheiser HE-1, but it was a no show (a lot of disappointed people because of this).

Why post this in this thread? Because I ended up purchasing the LCDi4 today! I had a chance to listen to them compared to the LCD-4 and I'm blown away with what Audeze was able to do in such a small package. Healthy low end, sweet yet detailed sound.

Stupid me, I forgot to bring my regular source and the Hugo2 tour unit, arg, so the source gear I used for comparison purposes was less than ideal (for a familiar reference). I first had them plugged in to the Audeze Deckard amp which is waaaay too warm for my tastes. They had an A&K Kann there so I used that instead. What I heard was simply astounding for an IEM and the comfort was top notch. I loved how I was able to get a full sound without having to jam the LCDi4 deep in to my ear canals. The LCD-4 was slightly more warm sounding and may have been slightly more resolving (don't quote me on that based on the meet conditions and a different amp), but the LCDi4 was very very good sounding not leaving much on the table compared to the LCD-4.

Very happy to be able to have this quality of sound in such a small package. The rub is they didn't have any in stock (typical Canada) so I must wait a week or two. It'll be worth it!

IMG_4858.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #306 of 4,795
Congratulations on your purchase. As you are probably aware from my celebratory images I am receiving mine tomorrow. I ordered early from hifiheadphones.ca in your neck of the woods right there in Vancouver. They overnight any purchase over $100 for free anywhere in Canada. I've dealt with them for years so that is why I went with them again. You state that there is not much room on the table for the lcd4s. That is what I have been told as well. From what I understand these in ear headphones potentially blow all in ears out of the water. The way I see it is that the lower priced iSine10 and 20s take care of the lower priced in ears while the LCD i4 is the end game version that knocks Noble, Harvey and the Vegas etc. out for the count. From a marketing standpoint they need at least one if not two more in ears to cover the price range between the $550 and $2500 range to suck consumer's of their extra cash.

Soundwise, and I'm being careful in saying this, the iSine 20s in many ways already best many over the ear headphones that are considered first class. The i4s, going by those whose ears and opinions I trust, will compete directly with Sennheiser, Hifiman and the other planar headphone manufacturers - and beat their larger breatheren. Yes they will cannabalize their own product lineup just like the iPhone did with its iPod. When I first heard the iSine 20 I knew that it was a revolutionary not evolutionary product. If Audeze doesn't run with this then some other company with brains will. The concept and purpose behind headphones was to recreate imitate sound heard from loudspeakers. Almost 40 years in the business has shown me that the results have been a dismal failure. Whilst we may think that we "hear" with our ears try going to a concert, any concert be it a rock concert or a symphony. Your skin vibrates, heart palpitates and body feels the rush and pounding of air from the pulsating airwaves. Such is the concept of trying to replicate listening to music with only our ears. Do we swim with only our feet in the water?

Earlier this week I listened to much acclaimed Sennheiser 800s. Taking the "imitation of music" into consideration, without thinking that these could really be the real thing I asked the sales rep if he was joking. The bottom line was that the 800s headphones sounded like a squawking tweeter trying to squeeze itself into each ear. Bloody crap! I had high hopes after purchasing the Hifiman HE1000 which actually sound quite nice. I have learned that marketing and manipulating sound by manufacturers and "teaching" people to enjoy analytical crap which in no way resembles the actual source is paramount to commercial success.

So what has Audeze done with the iSines that is so special? They may not be pretty but they are quite accurate from the mid lows on up. They are simply refreshing. You can have them in your ears for hours and the sound is real, not fabricated with booming bass where it doesn't exist - or screeching highs that crash into your head because a certain manufacturers says it can reproduce it dammit.

I await my i4s with delight.

My sermon is complete...

Pope Apples

Jun 25, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #307 of 4,795
@reddog, I'd be interested to hear your impressions on how your i4's compare to some of your other headphones. You have a lot of heavy hitters in your collection and it would be very interesting to hear your impressions.
Sure I will gladly compare the i4 to my other headphones. Please have a good one.

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #308 of 4,795
Jun 26, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #309 of 4,795
Just got home from HiFiCentre's Vancouver Audio Festival. Some great gear there including Susvara, LCD-4, Utopia, Focal Grand Utopia speaker, etc.. My intent was to hear the Sennheiser HE-1, but it was a no show (a lot of disappointed people because of this).

Why post this in this thread? Because I ended up purchasing the LCDi4 today! I had a chance to listen to them compared to the LCD-4 and I'm blown away with what Audeze was able to do in such a small package. Healthy low end, sweet yet detailed sound.

Stupid me, I forgot to bring my regular source and the Hugo2 tour unit, arg, so the source gear I used for comparison purposes was less than ideal (for a familiar reference). I first had them plugged in to the Audeze Deckard amp which is waaaay too warm for my tastes. They had an A&K Kann there so I used that instead. What I heard was simply astounding for an IEM and the comfort was top notch. I loved how I was able to get a full sound without having to jam the LCDi4 deep in to my ear canals. The LCD-4 was slightly more warm sounding and may have been slightly more resolving (don't quote me on that based on the meet conditions and a different amp), but the LCDi4 was very very good sounding not leaving much on the table compared to the LCD-4.

Very happy to be able to have this quality of sound in such a small package. The rub is they didn't have any in stock (typical Canada) so I must wait a week or two. It'll be worth it!

Crazy ain't it? Congratulations :)

Pulled another all nighter with my LCD-i4's on throughout the whole session. Gaming (sound off), going through my wishlist on Bandcamp. post-hardcore, instrumental post-rock/djent/math and some liquid D&B. It was delightful. Filled my basket with another 3gb worth of flac goodies.
And now to lull myself to sleep, wrapping this session with some daily subscribed asmr stuff, and I'm happy I'm getting it working with the LCD-i4! I got no idea why I get the triggers now, brain burning or what, but this made me very happy.

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #310 of 4,795

Should be getting my Hugo2 by end of week, so far been using Mojo and my super ancient AK 240 :). Have any of you tried a balanced set up? Also does the 2 pin Reference 8 cable from ALO work? I have one for my W80s, but the Audeze cable seem better made so maybe should wait for them.

Jun 26, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #311 of 4,795
Should be getting my Hugo2 by end of week, so far been using Mojo and my super ancient AK 240 :). Have any of you tried a balanced set up? Also does the 2 pin Reference 8 cable from ALO work? I have one for my W80s, but the Audeze cable seem better made so maybe should wait for them.

The sad part is I likely won't be able to hear the i4 with the Hugo2 as the tour unit will have left my hands by the time my i4 arrives.

Jun 26, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #315 of 4,795
Just to add to the misery, I'm going to have to send them back, which will take a few days to get there. Once the dealer has looked at them they'll order a new pair. It'll probably take a couple of weeks before the new ones get to me.

I though of just buying a new pair now, and having them refund me when when they receive these broken ones. However they advised me that would be a bad idea in case they or Audeze feel that I have damaged them in some way and won't refund me. They're not implying that's the case, and it's a good point, as at double the price they'd be a bit expensive.

Got to say this has turned into a very disappointing purchase!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back