Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Jan 30, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #1,591 of 4,795
Interesting, this was not my experience with the i4s at all. They sounded spectacular out of the box for me, an instantly noticable and big improvement over the already very good isine 20. If you have not tried or used Audeze isines, it may take a little while to get the fit the way you want. Definitely give the different tips a try and also see whether you prefer the earlocks or the ear hooks (I prefer the former, but many others prefer the latter). However, once you get the hang of them, they truly do sound spectacular.

+1 I never owned a planar before but the i4 sounded spectacular out of the box (with no EQ), contrary to some dynamic driver IEMs or cans I have owned who did need (significant) burn in like the Vega or NightHawks... After 3 weeks and a good 100 hours with them, nothing has changed. Interrestingly there was no brain burn in period for me, the sound signature just clicked right away :)

For fit, I really recommend the SpinFit CP155 as they are clearly a step up from stock tips. Personally I have moved to earlocks instead of earhooks and that's much more comfortable while retaining a good fit with the SpinFits.

That's one of the things I like about Audeze, the service is excellent. I had problems getting the cipher cable from the local distributor and retailer. I got in touch with Audeze and they had the cable mailed to me directly.

Indeed I had an answer the following day I will get the cable soon :)

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #1,592 of 4,795
As I was tidying my audio gear, I found a black dragon IEM balanced 2 pin cable I didn't remember I had :p

Thing is, those have a red and blue dot and the instructions are "Red is Right Channel, Blue is Left Channel. Dots always should be pointing in an upward direction" which of course is meant for over ear. This means red and blue markings are not inward/outward but backward/forward (or upward downward worn over ears).

Since the LCD i4 is worn straight down unless I am mistaken that would mean that I should point those dots backwards but I am not sure and I don't want to risk inverting polarity on those babies (would it fry them or sound will simply be out of phase ?)... anyone has a similar cable and can help me make sure?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #1,593 of 4,795
iFi Audio Groundhog:
I had some ground noise "humm" in my chain. ( Hugo 2 & lcd i4 )
Thanks to the groundhog..... humming noise is gone.
Kudos to @iFi audio
Thanks @KMann

20180131_184103.jpg

Hugo 2 + lcd i4 + groundhog connected to RCA out.

20180131_183722.jpg
ifi audio groundhog

20180131_183833.jpg
connected to macbook pro (charging on) via usb

20180131_183932.jpg
connected to macbook pro ( charging on ) via 3.5 mm

Attachments

• 20180131_183641.jpg
    20180131_183641.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20180131_183848.jpg
    20180131_183848.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Jan 31, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #1,594 of 4,795
iFi Audio Groundhog:
I had some ground noise "humm" in my chain. ( Hugo 2 & lcd i4 )
Thanks to the groundhog..... humming noise is gone.
Kudos to @iFi audio
Thanks @KMann

Hugo 2 + lcd i4 + groundhog connected to RCA out.

ifi audio groundhog

connected to macbook pro (charging on) via usb

connected to macbook pro ( charging on ) via 3.5 mm

We're happy that you're happy. Enjoy!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 31, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #1,595 of 4,795
I find the Audeze LCD i4s to be the most enjoyable headphones I have ever owned. I was trying to figure out just what it was that delivered this difference. Incredible bass (particularly for an IEM), lush midrange and brilliant treble are just the beginning. In a word, I find them to offer a "spacious" presentation, with a wide soundstage, but the definitive difference is in the depth of the soundstage. I can hear each instrument or vocal across the width of the presentation, but in addition, I hear a 3D layering where I can precisely discern the distance from each instrument/vocal to the microphone. This has made me, once again, to go back to my favorite recordings and re-listen to enjoy this new 3D soundstage. This is not a subtle difference, but for me, a game-changer. I am hooked on the sound. The i4s are addictive and the V2 Cipher cable for the i4s is the cherry on the top!

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #1,596 of 4,795
I find the Audeze LCD i4s to be the most enjoyable headphones I have ever owned. I was trying to figure out just what it was that delivered this difference. Incredible bass (particularly for an IEM), lush midrange and brilliant treble are just the beginning. In a word, I find them to offer a "spacious" presentation, with a wide soundstage, but the definitive difference is in the depth of the soundstage. I can hear each instrument or vocal across the width of the presentation, but in addition, I hear a 3D layering where I can precisely discern the distance from each instrument/vocal to the microphone. This has made me, once again, to go back to my favorite recordings and re-listen to enjoy this new 3D soundstage. This is not a subtle difference, but for me, a game-changer. I am hooked on the sound. The i4s are addictive and the V2 Cipher cable for the i4s is the cherry on the top!

Well said, about what makes the difference and a game changer :
1) the i4 has a huge and holographic soundstage (especially with proper source) while retaining good body and weight given how airy it sounds
2) the i4 has great extension both down lown and up top (a lot of people mention the bass and it's great but treble are out of this world really this even changed my understanding of treble)
3) the i4 is as fast as they come, planar goodness I never had a planar headphone before but all they said was true...
4) the i4 combines 1, 2 and 3 and that's what is a game changer to me... I never experienced all of the above at the same time, still after 3 weeks of intensive listen I am often puzzled by its abilities... I didn't mention also that the tuning is very refined and balanced with great timbre, imaging is just great vocals are just forward enough without stealing the show.

I wouldn' say the i4 is unforgiving because almost everything sound fantastic even average records but great mastering will just make them mind blowing, period!

I didn't think it would be such a step up, it totally blew up my vision regarding the law of diminishing returns... and now I can't imagine going back... so much so I ordered the VE8 as an isolating companion which I wouldn't have before this... This should be complimentary to the i4 not only regarding isolation given what I have read... we'll see!

The only thing I noticed is that I am not used to have all this at the same time, my brain is not trained to go that far and while the i4 is in no way fatiguing (it's so smooth...) I can feel fatigue as I think my brain needs some burn in (the i4 did not, it was great out of the box) or rather muscling my listening abilities...

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #1,597 of 4,795
as an owner of the LCD-4 i am thrilled with my i4....it allows me to travel with a portable version of my LCD-4 that is truly fantastic...hard to believe how good

Jan 31, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #1,598 of 4,795
Well said, about what makes the difference and a game changer :
1) the i4 has a huge and holographic soundstage (especially with proper source) while retaining good body and weight given how airy it sounds
2) the i4 has great extension both down lown and up top (a lot of people mention the bass and it's great but treble are out of this world really this even changed my understanding of treble)
3) the i4 is as fast as they come, planar goodness I never had a planar headphone before but all they said was true...
4) the i4 combines 1, 2 and 3 and that's what is a game changer to me... I never experienced all of the above at the same time, still after 3 weeks of intensive listen I am often puzzled by its abilities... I didn't mention also that the tuning is very refined and balanced with great timbre, imaging is just great vocals are just forward enough without stealing the show.

I wouldn' say the i4 is unforgiving because almost everything sound fantastic even average records but great mastering will just make them mind blowing, period!

I didn't think it would be such a step up, it totally blew up my vision regarding the law of diminishing returns... and now I can't imagine going back... so much so I ordered the VE8 as an isolating companion which I wouldn't have before this... This should be complimentary to the i4 not only regarding isolation given what I have read... we'll see!

The only thing I noticed is that I am not used to have all this at the same time, my brain is not trained to go that far and while the i4 is in no way fatiguing (it's so smooth...) I can feel fatigue as I think my brain needs some burn in (the i4 did not, it was great out of the box) or rather muscling my listening abilities...

Totally agree with you about the last paragraph, I had the same sensation, the accuracy, the details, soundstage, etc, in the long run can provoke some fatigue to your brain, too many information to process...

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #1,599 of 4,795

I totally agree. The LCDi4's soundstage is NOT so much wider than other iems.....but it's depth is amazing....creating that holographic presentation and incredible layering of instruments and vocals.

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #1,600 of 4,795
Alright, ALRIGHT!!...I'll have a listen to a pair...jeesh! :wink:

Feb 1, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #1,601 of 4,795
as an owner of the LCD-4 i am thrilled with my i4....it allows me to travel with a portable version of my LCD-4 that is truly fantastic...hard to believe how good
I am very interested in hearing your comparison between the LCD4 and the i4, some say that the i4 is 70% of the LCD4, some even say certain aspects of the i4 actually sound better than the LCD4. I want to know does the i4 actually has a similar sound signature as the LCD4, or are they different. I also want to know is the i4 has as big a sound as the LCD4 as some has claimed? Is there any aspect that the i4 is better than the LCD4 beside the size and weight and ease of traveling?

Feb 1, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #1,602 of 4,795
@jude Hi Jude, when can we expect the episode all about the LCD-i4 or have I missed it somehow?

Feb 1, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #1,603 of 4,795
very difficult to quantify with a % but i will say to me the i4 has a sense of immediacy a sense of dynamics due I think to the fact that the drivers are literally in your ear....most IEM are accurate but closed in and very narrow...the I4 is not like that at all...the soundstage is very wide and deep while it retains accuracy ...it is not quite the lcd-4 but it is damn close and for a portable option it is a grand slam

Feb 1, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #1,604 of 4,795
I am very interested in hearing your comparison between the LCD4 and the i4, some say that the i4 is 70% of the LCD4, some even say certain aspects of the i4 actually sound better than the LCD4. I want to know does the i4 actually has a similar sound signature as the LCD4, or are they different. I also want to know is the i4 has as big a sound as the LCD4 as some has claimed? Is there any aspect that the i4 is better than the LCD4 beside the size and weight and ease of traveling?
I have both and L4 is certainly better, in paricular re depth and width and to some smaller degree re bass. But given the price differential, the i4 is the winner. I find it really fantastic how good the sound quality is out of this small device. Besides obravo eamt-1c the best in-ear I have heard. I think btw that % do not make sense since we have different ideas of the length of the yardstick...

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #1,605 of 4,795
very difficult to quantify with a % but i will say to me the i4 has a sense of immediacy a sense of dynamics due I think to the fact that the drivers are literally in your ear....most IEM are accurate but closed in and very narrow...the I4 is not like that at all...the soundstage is very wide and deep while it retains accuracy ...it is not quite the lcd-4 but it is damn close and for a portable option it is a grand slam
Thanks for the above thoughts, have you tried driving the i4 with your DAVE? Do you know what is the top wattage the i4 can handle and may be the minimum needed to drive it adequately also.

Two months ago I almost bought the i4, I was comparing the i4 to my Final Audio Lab2 which is also an open iem and I found the Lab2 actually has bigger sound stage and much easier to drive. Actually both iem has pretty good size soundstage, in comparing the two, I notice the Lab2 has no boundaries, sound just extend out until they fade away whereas with i4, I can hear the edge of the soundstage. However the two definitely has different signature and characteristics of their own.

Right now, I am just itching for another phone that is different from what I have. By the way, do folks just use the stock cable or after market cable, besides the cipher cable, that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back