Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Jan 26, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #1,561 of 4,796
I have a whiplash v3 not modular and MMCX, I didn't remember their interchangeable plug... should have gone that way... pretty good choice!

Did you choose standard 2 pin connector (and does it work with the recessed Audeze socket or was that a custom request?

These are standard 2 pin connectors, but when I place the order I specified that the cable was for the i4, otherwise Craig builds his cables with a different 2 pin
You can ask Craig to determinate your cable. I did specifically for the i4 since is the only iems that use with different players, dac and amp therefore I was looking for the maximum flexibility.

IMG_5028 copy.jpg

Jan 27, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #1,564 of 4,796
After two weeks with the i4, I had an interesting session with the Vega, IE800S and Elear... This was very revealing of how great the LCD i4 is... I am now officially spoiled :-/

If the i4 were isolating I would simply be happy with having only one head/earphone, it’s that good... now the IE800S sounded thin and closed in, the Vega congested with bass bleed, the Elear dark and heavy on my head :p

The challenge is picking a custom or TOTL universal that won’t disappoint... I’d lend towards the EM10 or 64 Tia Trio but which is your favorite i4 isolating companion?

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #1,565 of 4,796
After two weeks with the i4, I had an interesting session with the Vega, IE800S and Elear... This was very revealing of how great the LCD i4 is... I am now officially spoiled :-/

If the i4 were isolating I would simply be happy with having only one head/earphone, it’s that good... now the IE800S sounded thin and closed in, the Vega congested with bass bleed, the Elear dark and heavy on my head :p

The challenge is picking a custom or TOTL universal that won’t disappoint... I’d lend towards the EM10 or 64 Tia Trio but which is your favorite i4 isolating companion?
check out this post by eaglewings .
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...nitor-discussion.850292/page-74#post-13794086
He compares lcd i4, tia fourte & u18 tzar.
Also a semi open back isolating planar in ear monitor is unique melody me-1... you can go through its thread & few reviews on the net... some headfiers think its better than isine 10,20....
best of luck for finding lcd i4 isolating companion....!

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #1,566 of 4,796

Personally I'm using the Oriolus Mellianus as my isolating companion...at this point I was just looking for something that had the sound signature that I liked and not something that performed to the standards of the i4.

Jan 27, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #1,567 of 4,796
check out this post by eaglewings .
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...nitor-discussion.850292/page-74#post-13794086
He compares lcd i4, tia fourte & u18 tzar.
Also a semi open back isolating planar in ear monitor is unique melody me-1... you can go through its thread & few reviews on the net... some headfiers think its better than isine 10,20....

Great comparison from @EagleWings thanks!

I have read about the Melody ME-1, but I think it's an open design as well so it might not be the one I am looking for.
I know some have gone to Shure KSE1500 but I don't like the idea of being tied to the amp plus the signature from what I have read is probably not my cup of tea.

Personally I'm using the Oriolus Mellianus as my isolating companion...at this point I was just looking for something that had the sound signature that I liked and not something that performed to the standards of the i4.

Thanks for sharing, I'll check it out, you're right it's going to be nearly impossible to find any IEM performing like the i4 *and* with a signature I like as much... Soundstage will never be as good *and* so natural... My brain is still puzzled quite often, it thinks it's listening to great speakers in a great listening room.

So I had kind of the same reasoning you had... thus the thoughts about the EM10 or Tia Trio. I might go custom and the Earsonics route down the line, never regretted thrusting @flinkenick 's reviews and comparisons to the S-EM9 give me a good picture of what the signature is and it fits my needs for late night sessions not disturbing my other half when I can't sleep or on commute. The fact that I don't have to worry about issues (my U12 had to go back a driver was DOA, cost me extra and lost time...) and extra customs cost is also a factor. Unless... everybody is talking VE8 and it looks sexy!

This being said, I'll check the Oriolus out, looks gorgeous!

But I must say, right now I am enjoying the i4 so much... it's a whole new ball game, portable open back with the best sound I have ever listened to my mind is still blown. Worth every penny!

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #1,568 of 4,796
Great comparison from @EagleWings thanks!

I have read about the Melody ME-1, but I think it's an open design as well so it might not be the one I am looking for.
I know some have gone to Shure KSE1500 but I don't like the idea of being tied to the amp plus the signature from what I have read is probably not my cup of tea.

Thanks for sharing, I'll check it out, you're right it's going to be nearly impossible to find any IEM performing like the i4 *and* with a signature I like as much... Soundstage will never be as good *and* so natural... My brain is still puzzled quite often, it thinks it's listening to great speakers in a great listening room.

So I had kind of the same reasoning you had... thus the thoughts about the EM10 or Tia Trio. I might go custom and the Earsonics route down the line, never regretted thrusting @flinkenick 's reviews and comparisons to the S-EM9 give me a good picture of what the signature is and it fits my needs for late night sessions not disturbing my other half when I can't sleep or on commute. The fact that I don't have to worry about issues (my U12 had to go back a driver was DOA, cost me extra and lost time...) and extra customs cost is also a factor.

This being said, I'll check the Oriolus out, looks gorgeous!

But I must say, right now I am enjoying the i4 so much... it's a whole new ball game, portable open back with the best sound I have ever listened to my mind is still blown. Worth every penny!

Are you using an EQ with your i4?

Jan 28, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #1,569 of 4,796
Are you using an EQ with your i4?

I have read a lot about the need for EQ, but I personnally don't even use it with DX200/AMP5 and I am happy with the signature :)

Jan 28, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #1,571 of 4,796
After lots of listening over the last few weeks, I am definitely keeping the LCD-i4. They hold their own against my full size headphones and offer a completely different experience. The fact there is no weight on your head is really neat. I'm hoping to get some new tips still, as the seal on my right ear is a bit wonky, but apart from that they are awesome.

E8CBVw6.jpg

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #1,572 of 4,796

And the winner is... the VE8, it will be my isolating companion to the i4... now the wait begins, as well as selling all other gear that is redundant (Elear, Vega, IE800S...)

Jan 29, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #1,573 of 4,796
Audeze LCD i4 Cipher Cable.

Just received the Cipher cable for the Audeze LCD i4s. Have only used it for two days, but I am very impressed. I had been using the i4s with my Mojo DAC/AMP and getting wonderful results. I have tried the i4s directly from the iPhone X (disaster), with the iSine Cipher cable (weak and thin). I listen to Tidal HiFi and the Audeze LCD i4s with the i4 Cipher cable is a winner IMHO.

Perhaps I am a special case, but I cannot stand CIEMs that plug my ear canals and give me that "underwater" feeling where I can hear each footstep and each beat of my heart. I have tried a several of these, with multiple refitting of the CIEMS. I am done

My use cases for mobile listening includes:

Sitting at home: iPhone X > Mojo > LCD i4s
Walking around: iPhone X > i4 Cipher DAC/Cable > LCD i4s
Airplane: Bose Quiet Comfort 35s
In the Hotel: iPhone X > i4 Cipher DAC/Cable > LCD i4s

Is the Mojo/i4 combination better than the i4 Cipher? Each has different strengths, but i find them equally enjoyable. Kudos to Audeze for the new LCD i4 Cipher cable.

Jan 29, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #1,574 of 4,796
Audeze LCD i4 Cipher Cable.

Just received the Cipher cable for the Audeze LCD i4s. Have only used it for two days, but I am very impressed. I had been using the i4s with my Mojo DAC/AMP and getting wonderful results. I have tried the i4s directly from the iPhone X (disaster), with the iSine Cipher cable (weak and thin). I listen to Tidal HiFi and the Audeze LCD i4s with the i4 Cipher cable is a winner IMHO.

Perhaps I am a special case, but I cannot stand CIEMs that plug my ear canals and give me that "underwater" feeling where I can hear each footstep and each beat of my heart. I have tried a several of these, with multiple refitting of the CIEMS. I am done

My use cases for mobile listening includes:

Sitting at home: iPhone X > Mojo > LCD i4s
Walking around: iPhone X > i4 Cipher DAC/Cable > LCD i4s
Airplane: Bose Quiet Comfort 35s
In the Hotel: iPhone X > i4 Cipher DAC/Cable > LCD i4s

Is the Mojo/i4 combination better than the i4 Cipher? Each has different strengths, but i find them equally enjoyable. Kudos to Audeze for the new LCD i4 Cipher cable.

I totally agree. I have Mojo as well and find myself using Cipher cable 90% of the time. I love the ability to tweak the EQ to my liking and can get better bass then messing with my MacBook. It is quite an enjoyable listen out of the Cipher directly from my IPad or IPhone X.

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #1,575 of 4,796
I've been reading this forever now and it seems that the i4 are problamitic without eq. Is it possible to use eq on android/Samsung with tidal going through a Hugo 2 and still achieve the exact same thing as the cipher? If not then what is the point of these headphones?

Ive had the audeze lcd XC before and they were terrible without eq. Hopefully the i4 isn't just the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back