Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Jan 6, 2024 at 6:47 AM Post #6,676 of 6,820
Hi :)
I recently had the opportunity to listen to Lake People products at an audio fair, at the Meze booth (so, not with a LCD5, but with my test tracks via Tidal). In particular, the Niimbus US5 (with a Gold Note DAC) and the DHA 380. I found them to be excellent machines both in terms of sound and construction, the former technically superior (and given the price...) and neutral and linear, if I must say similar to the Benchmark. The latter had a more "easy" sound, a touch more body and warmth, softer in definition, perhaps limited by the internal DAC. If the 550 is somewhere in between, it could be a great solution.

1) Yes, I find that the LCD5 is truly excellent in rendering "environmental spaces", the ambience with its reflections. Honestly, with equipment at its level, I think its soundstage is also adequate in terms of size

2) It's very simple in reality, by enlarging the space painted by the soundstage, it also enlarges the perceived dimension of the sound source. In practice the Luxman magnifies the three spatial dimensions but the directionality and layering is also vaguer and less point-like. I'm obviously exaggerating to be clear. It depends on the musical genre, but overall the great sonic openness of the Luxman is remarkable. Yes, it's big. Big and heavy, you can consider it a 45x45 cm square, if you include the knobs... absolutely not desktop-like.

3) There is a major conceptual error about HPA4, namely its supposed aseptical nature. It's actually the perfect wire-with-gain amplifier. If the source and recordings are poor... well the result is crap :)
If they are excellent, the result is remarkable. For example, the latest Peter Gabriel via Auralic Vega G1 is a mind blowing listen.
Now, obviously it is full of poor recordings, this is why I myself have a two amplifier solution, one of which is more "permissive" and friendly like the Luxman, which even with non-optimal incoming signals, puts its own personality into it... a "sound doctor", let's say :D
So the Benchmark can be fabulous or boring depending on the circumstances (I would never couple it with Hifiman anyway, notoriously hot in the treble range...), its volume control with 256 steps / 4 channels for hps and speakers is crazy tho, perfect even for IEM.
I don't know if Topping amps are boring even with quality sources and recordings, and are bottlenecks themselves: there must be a reason new ones come out every month.
Using Topping A70pro, i wouldn't agree that they are "boring", but since i only have this model i don't know its previous history. Still, it's REALLY powerful, and by that i mean i use high gain with -50db for some songs on the LCD5. The DAC i use is a E70 Velvet (ak4499ex) so maybe they go well together. I'd like to try a R-R solution, but for 420 bucks that DAC is a steal

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #6,677 of 6,820
Using Topping A70pro, i wouldn't agree that they are "boring", but since i only have this model i don't know its previous history. Still, it's REALLY powerful, and by that i mean i use high gain with -50db for some songs on the LCD5. The DAC i use is a E70 Velvet (ak4499ex) so maybe they go well together. I'd like to try a R-R solution, but for 420 bucks that DAC is a steal
I have experience with Topping A90D (driving LCD-5). It is not bad at first glance, but it doesn't touch me. And I don't think they are that resolving as many say, particularly when the piece becomes full and loud, it can get a little shouty and harsh / unclean resolved (to my hearing). The sense of space is okay but localization is more fuzzy compared to a V340 (which only has unbalanced inputs). I hope to get even better localization and sense of space when I upgrade to a V550 with balanced inputs.

I also can say something about Topping D90 DAC vs. Gustard R26 r2r DAC. Here it is so clear, how much better the R26 is. Already a total different level according to space, naturalness of the sound and maybe detail. It just sounds so much better. And this R26 is certainly not top notch. I am dreaming of a May (as many, surely). So I can definitely recommend an r2r DAC if you are interested.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #6,678 of 6,820
BHA-1 + Bryston DAC (can be any) is my favorite combo for LCD5 now. They make LCD5 sound so airy and transparent with a lot of details. It's very easy to find cheap units on used market and they are covered by Bryston's insane warranty.

Jan 6, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #6,679 of 6,820
BHA-1 + Bryston DAC (can be any) is my favorite combo for LCD5 now. They make LCD5 sound so airy and transparent with a lot of details. It's very easy to find cheap units on used market and they are covered by Bryston's insane warranty.
Too bad it seems they have great warranty but seems the online shop is Canada and USA only....

Jan 6, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #6,680 of 6,820
Too bad it seems they have great warranty but seems the online shop is Canada and USA only....
I believe Bryston products were mostly sold through their dealership network. You can try to locate one that is close to you on their website.

Jan 6, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #6,681 of 6,820
If I am looking at the specs of the BHA-1, 500mW/32Ohms; 667mW/600Ohms, it's probably below 1W at 14Ohms. I thought the LCD-5 need at least 2.4W or so. Does it really pair so well with them? Also this model is more than 10 years old. Isn't it outperformed by more modern amps whose construction already had planars in mind?
I don't want to be negative. Just wondering...

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #6,682 of 6,820
If I am looking at the specs of the BHA-1, 500mW/32Ohms; 667mW/600Ohms, it's probably below 1W at 14Ohms. I thought the LCD-5 need at least 2.4W or so. Does it really pair so well with them? Also this model is more than 10 years old. Isn't it outperformed by more modern amps whose construction already had planars in mind?
I don't want to be negative. Just wondering...
"Unique to the BHA-1, six class A, fully discrete operational amplifiers generate up to 2 watts of power for exceptional dynamic range."

I don't know where you got
500mW/32Ohms; 667mW/600Ohms

Power is never an issue for BHA-1. If you don't have a volume control on your DAC, I doubt you will ever be able to dial your volume knob to 12oclock on low gain when driving LCD5.

The only thing needs attention for bha-1 is that it's an amp super sensitive to your source and filters. Thus, synergy between your DAC and bha-1 is very important. I first fed bha-1 with my RME. I couldn't like that combo at all.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #6,683 of 6,820
Jan 6, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #6,685 of 6,820
Mhh thats really interesting 🤔 I am still looking for an amp for the LCD-5. Then this could be a true bargain from the used market.

Jan 6, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #6,686 of 6,820
Mhh thats really interesting 🤔 I am still looking for an amp for the LCD-5. Then this could be a true bargain from the used market.
I also had this Bryston. I sold it to finance the upgrades, but I have excellent memories of it, it was at the level of the IFI iCAN Pro. I think the Vio 550 is better, but used it can be found at excellent prices. In balanced it is much better than RCA (the soundstage is wider). It is very sensitive to input voltage, I wouldn't use sources with outputs greater than 4V.

Jan 6, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #6,687 of 6,820
The V550 would also fit better on my desk. I think I get this one definitely first, and maybe a Bryston for comparison if I find one cheap. It could also help in winter to heat my workspace 🤣

According to the manual, my Gustard R26 outputs 5Vrms through XLR. What does ‚sensitive to input voltage’ mean? And did you mean the Vio or Bryston which is sensitive?

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #6,688 of 6,820
V550 is not an issue since you can adjust the input gain at the back, but your r26 may possibly make bha-1 too loud for LCD5 at low gain. You will probably not be able to put it's volume dial to 10 o'clock unless you ask Bryston to do the low gain mod for you.

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #6,689 of 6,820
The R26 has an attenuator. Should be able to handle this then

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #6,690 of 6,820
The V550 would also fit better on my desk. I think I get this one definitely first, and maybe a Bryston for comparison if I find one cheap. It could also help in winter to heat my workspace 🤣

According to the manual, my Gustard R26 outputs 5Vrms through XLR. What does ‚sensitive to input voltage’ mean? And did you mean the Vio or Bryston which is sensitive?
Bryston, 5 V could be accettable maybe. With high incoming voltage I found it a little compressed, from memory.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back