Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Oct 1, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #6,601 of 6,785
Thanks! Did it require a fair bit of tube-rolling to get it right or was the out-of-box spec so high on the EE already that you settled in quickly? Realistically (fiscally speaking!), I would consider the standard version, but you sharing your success with EE is def helpful in directing the search.

Oct 1, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #6,602 of 6,785
Does anyone have a tube amp pairing recommendation for the LCD 5 that s/he has personally enjoyed? I really like the 5s out of the GSX Mini, but am curious about other flavors. Thanks :)
I have enjoyed it on my Bakoon 13R a lot. It helps add some of the warmth that is missing from the LCD-5 stock sound.

A much more clinical amp like the A90d still works and is quite dynamic but I would recommend equing the bass and treble up a bit on the A90d.

I personally find the upper mids shouty on the LCD-5 so I usually tame that down with EQ anyways. If you don't want to do your own EQ Resolves EQ fixes a lot of my issues with the stock tuning.

Oct 1, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #6,603 of 6,785
Thank you.

100% with you on EQ, using Roon's preset at the moment. Had success with Mitch's filter on another headphone, so I will prob add that later this week as well.

Oct 1, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #6,604 of 6,785
Thanks! Did it require a fair bit of tube-rolling to get it right or was the out-of-box spec so high on the EE already that you settled in quickly? Realistically (fiscally speaking!), I would consider the standard version, but you sharing your success with EE is def helpful in directing the search.
I purchased upgrade tubes with the purchase of the amp. I have never used the stock tubes all at once ever and have sold some off. I have had 3 sets of drivers(stock,EH upgrade and WE 417a upgrade). I have had 6 sets of power tubes(stock,Sovtek,EML Mesh, EML 2.5v, RCA Black Plate and Takatsuki). I have had 6 rectifiers(stock,KR274B, WE 422A, USAF 596, Tak 274B(3) and Elrog ER5U4G). My WA33 has been particularly hard on rectifiers burning out 2 Taks(just after warranty expiration) and the Elrog is currently in the process of eating itself.

My current tube setup is Takatsuki 2A3-WE 417a-Elrog ER5u4GB. I use the Roon Audeze filter but not as a Roon preset but as a convolution filter. Audeze recommends the linear filter but using it does not allow the full transmission of the MQA signal. I also have a 3 band PEQ to fine tune the SQ just for me.

If the EE is not in the budget I would go with the WA23 as there are less tubes which means less cost when upgrading.

Good luck!

Oct 3, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #6,606 of 6,785
Hello everyone! I've been trying these TOTL headphones during the past month: Atrium, Susvara, HEKSE, Utopia, LCD-5
20231001_204145.jpg

I'll post a review comparing the LCD 5 to HEKSE and Susvara later this week, if you want to know anything specific please let me know, and I'll include it in the review

I'll also add in brief comparisons to Utopia and Atrium, again I can go into more detail if anyone wants.

Oct 4, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #6,607 of 6,785
Did you compare the LCD-5 to the 2022 Utopia also? And I assume you used the stock cables.
That’s a comprehensive Line-up of headphones. Looking forward to the review.

Oct 5, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #6,609 of 6,785
a very dramatic review with the music and his tone lol

Oct 5, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #6,611 of 6,785
Lol thats my usual approach to youtube. I have been creating audiophile content in turkish for 4 years now but just started to go in english.
Nice review, going straight for the big leagues in the HP field!

Oct 13, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #6,614 of 6,785
EQ-ed LCD5 driven from a tube amp is an amazing combination of technicality and musicality. I thoroughly love every moment I place these headphones on my head.

Nice. I shall try good tubes someday. For now I am happy as you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back