Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Aug 25, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #6,556 of 6,820
I wouldn't say it's this "simple". I maybe not an expert on this stuff, but I know a few things about Playstation and their 1st party studios management (I work in the industry). If they say that company that they are buying will be still independent that's what it means. They'll still have their own budgets, structure, etc.

From my point of view it's more for cooperation in specific segment (like Sony buying Bungie for their knowledge in GaaS while leaving them independent). Playstation is known for their hands off approach.

Will it look like this in like ten years time - it's very likely but not guaranteed, sure. Playstation current boss is making some questionable decisions, but still company is successful and has high opinion amongst players. Like I said - wait and see.

Aug 25, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #6,557 of 6,820
I wouldn't say it's this "simple". I maybe not an expert on this stuff, but I know a few things about Playstation and their 1st party studios management (I work in the industry). If they say that company that they are buying will be still independent that's what it means. They'll still have their own budgets, structure, etc.

From my point of view it's more for cooperation in specific segment (like Sony buying Bungie for their knowledge in GaaS while leaving them independent). Playstation is known for their hands off approach.

Will it look like this in like ten years time - it's very likely but not guaranteed, sure. Playstation current boss is making some questionable decisions, but still company is successful and has high opinion amongst players. Like I said - wait and see.
I hope so

Aug 25, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #6,558 of 6,820
I say, wait with all that gloomy reactions. It's obvious that Sony bought Audeze because of gaming headsets (otherwise there are Japanese brands like Final Audio which would make more sens then Audeze). Playstation's Pulse Elite headset is first one to be planar magnetic and have USB dongle for connection (just as Audeze's cans). Probably they were pleased with cooperation with Audeze on Penrose and Maxwell so much, that they decided to work even closer.
One reason that Final Audio wouldn't make much sense for Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC (SIE LLC) because SIE LLC is headquartered in the Bay Area: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Interactive_Entertainment

SIE LLC is the entity who acquired Audeze: https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...eloper-of-Award-winning-Headphones-for-Gaming

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #6,559 of 6,820
One reason that Final Audio wouldn't make much sense for Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC (SIE LLC) because SIE LLC is headquartered in the Bay Area:

I don't think it's a problem - their main R&D is still in Japan I believe. Also I think it's normal that companies are bought by local branches.

There might be more reasons that Sony chose Audeze over other companies but I think the main thing is the gaming space. They just introduce Pulse Elite headset that has some similarities to Penrose and Maxwell. Audeze was in cooperation with Sony to make USB dongle connection and Tempest support. I bet that it was then that Sony (well Playstation) saw something valuable in Audeze.

Aug 25, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #6,560 of 6,820
100% about gaming. If it was just about audio manufacturing and R&D, they’d just consult with Sony Electronics, Corp.

Audeze is unique in that it not only innovates for audiophiles but is also one of the few companies innovating in the gaming audio space. Sony Interactive cleverly values that fact.

Random aside, how long do you think before a new flagship is released from Audeze? Any good speculation or murmurs on the topic of LCD-6? It’s still premature, no doubt

Aug 25, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #6,562 of 6,820
It’s good advice
Sony are really nasty to deal with

Selling off perfectly good headphones because you're assuming that they will break, that Sony's terrible customer service will make fixing them not worth the trouble, and that Audeze will have no ability or desire to take care of the customer base they built up all based on some guy on the internet speculating about acquisition news that's about ten minutes old. Yeah, great advice.

Why don't we all take a breather and stop freaking out over the tiny amount of solid information that we actually have. Whatever happens, it will play out over the course of months, not days.

Aug 25, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #6,564 of 6,820
right now from audeze I only have an lcdx

I think its absolutely fair to judge Sony for who they are and what things MAY be in the future

It sure is. And helpful too. I won't dispute that.

But recommending selling gear on the speculation surrounding this news is just as ill-founded advice as recommending that people buy whatever Audeze-under-Sony releases in the future just because the companies are so great. Since we have no idea what level of autonomy Audeze will maintain under the new ownership, it's not a sufficient basis for that kind of advice.

Aug 25, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #6,565 of 6,820

But recommending selling gear on the speculation surrounding this news is just as ill-founded advice as recommending that people buy whatever Audeze-under-Sony releases in the future just because the companies are so great. Since we have no idea what level of autonomy Audeze will maintain under the new ownership, it's not a sufficient basis for that kind of advice.
Exactly, just an example when Samsung bought Harman Kardon or when apple bought Beat, if something happens, it's gonna take few years to see how they are going to handle Audeze.

Aug 25, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #6,566 of 6,820
I I think Sankar and Audeze owe faithful and loyal Audeze customers an "air-clearing" statement spelling out the new "lay of the land" so to speak. The question that needs answering is "what does it mean to buy and Audeze audiophile product" in the next 5-10 years under this new Sony regime?

Aug 26, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #6,567 of 6,820
I I think Sankar and Audeze owe faithful and loyal Audeze customers an "air-clearing" statement spelling out the new "lay of the land" so to speak. The question that needs answering is "what does it mean to buy and Audeze audiophile product" in the next 5-10 years under this new Sony regime?
"Old" products are ok, new ones are the ones i will think twice before buying.

Aug 26, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #6,568 of 6,820

funny-bill-murray.gif

Aug 26, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #6,569 of 6,820
Are you suggesting human sacrifice to protect Audeze? I mean, i DID buy those headphones so recently, might be considered a form of investment....gotta call a mayan expert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back