Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Aug 20, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #6,526 of 6,820
The LCD-5 is something like +-2 to 3db away from the HD600 in most of it's range.

People look at the graph, and listen to it, then think what they hear is directly related to the graph they just saw. It's not. Our brains hear sound in it's entirety, not in individual frequency chuncks. The general slope of the frequency response is much more important than the peaks and dips.

Lol I didn’t mean that it was exactly the same as an HD600… just that if you’re used to an old-audeze tuning even going to an HD600 would be a lot.
Using EQ to add a bass shelf and treble shelf almost completely eliminates the overly audible mid-range by repositioning the slopes of the frequency response.
Agreed! And this is probably what I’d also personally suggest over trying to bring down the 3k peak.
So why did Audeze do this? Because they found, in their past research, that fine-tuning the frequency response to match the Harmon target led to a decrease the the headphones technical performance. This is why the previous LCD models have a huge chunk missing out of the ear gain region, and it's why the LCD-5 has it added back. They believe that creating a headphone with superior technical performance, but needs slight EQ to perfect the frequency response, allows the user to have their cake and eat it, too.

Now I wonder how they conducted that research. 😂

Aug 20, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #6,527 of 6,820
Aug 24, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #6,529 of 6,820
Aug 24, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #6,530 of 6,820
They want to rumble in the TOTL sector after yamaha has just released its latest offering? Maybe since they already make their DAPs, they want to go for full DAP-HP integration?
No, they want the IP for the latest mass-manufactured planar headphone tech. It saves them years of research and gives them a shot at making an MX-X headphone that can compete with Apple.

Aug 24, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #6,531 of 6,820
The PS Pulse ELITE headset and PULSE earbuds teased yesterday also feature planar magnetic drivers. I wonder if Audeze designed them?

Aug 24, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #6,532 of 6,820
The PS Pulse ELITE headset and PULSE earbuds teased yesterday also feature planar magnetic drivers. I wonder if Audeze designed them?
That's a good question, but I don't think so, otherwise they should mentioned it yesterday.

Maybe they found that creating planar is not that easy so they decided to buy Audeze to go straight forward and get good quality planars in a shorter period of time.

I think Audeze will be independent as beats is for apple.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #6,533 of 6,820
Aug 24, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #6,534 of 6,820
The most important thing is that Audeze keeps their God-Tier customer support and QC.
I had the sony WH1000xm3 and they were pure crap. Good sound, but the plastic cracked and they broke after just a year, and they refused to service the warranty citing "usage stress".
After that i never bought another audio sony-branded item. Horrible customer support and business practice, the polar opposite of Audeze.

Aug 24, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #6,535 of 6,820
The most important thing is that Audeze keeps their God-Tier customer support and QC.
I had the sony WH1000xm3 and they were pure crap. Good sound, but the plastic cracked and they broke after just a year, and they refused to service the warranty citing "usage stress".
After that i never bought another audio sony-branded item. Horrible customer support and business practice, the polar opposite of Audeze.

I bet they kill off the LCD line since it seems like they just want gaming headphones. Plus, it's not Sony proper buying Audeze, it's Sony Interactive gaming.

Aug 24, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #6,537 of 6,820
I bet they kill off the LCD line since it seems like they just want gaming headphones. Plus, it's not Sony proper buying Audeze, it's Sony Interactive gaming.
It would be a goddamn abomination.
If they sell off and end up sacrificing their top of the line for just spam-selling low tier gaming BS i'd be very disappointed.
I guess i better start looking much closer to Kennerton in the future, if the trend of audeze goes banana....

Aug 24, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #6,538 of 6,820
Doubt this. Sankar not the type. Have faith!
More than faith, we just need commitment. If they are interested in being into HIGH tier stuff, they can totally do that. but if in the near future we see more low-end stuff and an LCD-6 that has bad QC....we'll know sony killed audeze. That is worst case scenario.

Aug 24, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #6,539 of 6,820
More than faith, we just need commitment. If they are interested in being into HIGH tier stuff, they can totally do that. but if in the near future we see more low-end stuff and an LCD-6 that has bad QC....we'll know sony killed audeze. That is worst case scenario.
While not identical, there are some parallels between this acquisition and the changes that happened at Sennheiser.

The community concerns there turned out to be off-base, and I wouldn’t be surprised if there is unnecessary pessimism and hysteria here too, especially when the CEO of Audezd is an audiophile.

Aug 24, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #6,540 of 6,820
While not identical, there are some parallels between this acquisition and the changes that happened at Sennheiser.

The community concerns there turned out to be off-base, and I wouldn’t be surprised if there is unnecessary pessimism and hysteria here too, especially when the CEO of Audezd is an audiophile.

Well, he may cash out and leave the company like Axel Grell at Sennheiser did. Hence, no new 'audiophile' designs coming out of Sennheiser the last few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back