Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
May 29, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #6,436 of 6,785
You do understand these new measurements rigs also have statistical based targets, right? It's basically Harman 2.0 with extra steps. It's mostly an improvement on a similar concept. So if your ear/brain system is far outside of the Herman statistical model, chances are it will also fall outside the newer model as well.
Yeah but I'm being an optimist and hoping it's a step in the right direction.

May 31, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #6,437 of 6,785
Since I use and prefer one, I am biased. Yes. I gave up on trying to eq and leave it to the professionals.
After much sitting on the sidelines, I did the same, going for Mitch's convolution filter. I only wish I had done it sooner, rather than spending so much time messing around with EQ. 😅

May 31, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #6,438 of 6,785
After much sitting on the sidelines, I did the same, going for Mitch's convolution filter. I only wish I had done it sooner, rather than spending so much time messing around with EQ. 😅
Wow man! That and your setup gotta be some good stuff. Tell us more when you can.

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #6,439 of 6,785
My setup is simple. And, I tend to be brand loyal. I usually only upgrade with Audeze, Chord, Kimber, etc. And, as I get the itch for the next shiny thing, something I have now must go. First, because that's how I can finance what I want, and secondly, because my OCD doesn't allow other items to be kept.

I can say that everything that I added to my setup made a difference, especially because I didn't do it all at once. Some items made a big impact, and some were more subtle, of course. For example, when I replaced the stock cables on the M Scaler with Kimber, it was actually a fairly huge difference. Next, I went away from my MacBook Pro as a source to the SOtM streaming setup, along with a Kimber USB cable, which made a noticeable improvement as well. This surprised me because I was using a nice USB cable already, but leaving the Mac was a big deal. Even the iFi Lan Silencer made a subtle improvement, I think. 🤓

On my LCD-5, replacing the stock cables with Kimber's AXIOS Hybrid brought a sense of control to the overall sound.

The very last thing I have done as of right now, and big thanks to @EMINENT, was going for Mitch Barnett's Convolution filter for the LCD-5. His comments made it sound like a must, and it is!

I basically didn't know what I was doing, and I kept making my LCD-5 sound brighter and brighter with EQ, because I didn't know how to bring balance to it. But, after getting Mitch's filter, it has been like a dream. I don't even think about EQ anymore, because everything sounds so well-balanced. There is depth and a delicate tonal balance to just about everything I listen to, which I didn't know that I was missing.

May 31, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #6,440 of 6,785
My setup is simple. And, I tend to be brand loyal. I usually only upgrade with Audeze, Chord, Kimber, etc. And, as I get the itch for the next shiny thing, something I have now must go. First, because that's how I can finance what I want, and secondly, because my OCD doesn't allow other items to be kept.

I can say that everything that I added to my setup made a difference, especially because I didn't do it all at once. Some items made a big impact, and some were more subtle, of course. For example, when I replaced the stock cables on the M Scaler with Kimber, it was actually a fairly huge difference. Next, I went away from my MacBook Pro as a source to the SOtM streaming setup, along with a Kimber USB cable, which made a noticeable improvement as well. This surprised me because I was using a nice USB cable already, but leaving the Mac was a big deal. Even the iFi Lan Silencer made a subtle improvement, I think. 🤓

On my LCD-5, replacing the stock cables with Kimber's AXIOS Hybrid brought a sense of control to the overall sound.

The very last thing I have done as of right now, and big thanks to @EMINENT, was going for Mitch Barnett's Convolution filter for the LCD-5. His comments made it sound like a must, and it is!

I basically didn't know what I was doing, and I kept making my LCD-5 sound brighter and brighter with EQ, because I didn't know how to bring balance to it. But, after getting Mitch's filter, it has been like a dream. I don't even think about EQ anymore, because everything sounds so well-balanced. There is depth and a delicate tonal balance to just about everything I listen to, which I didn't know that I was missing.

Amazing stuff, man. Thanks for sharing!

Jun 1, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #6,442 of 6,785
I suggest anyone on the fence about the lcd 5 try a free trial of roon and try the audeze presets. It really has changed how I feel about the lcd 5. Special shout out to HAydin and Eminent for taking the time to help me!
I very much prefer mine without EQ from the DAVE. I retried again today to be sure and still hold the same view

Jun 12, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #6,443 of 6,785
I got that email from Audeze re: trading up to the LCD5 and I am seriously considering sending them my Focal Clear OGs. I don't have any complaints about the Clears but I can't help but wonder what the TOTL LCD5s might offer.

Has anyone moved up from the Clear OG to the 5? Any insight would be appreciated...

Jun 12, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #6,444 of 6,785
I got that email from Audeze re: trading up to the LCD5 and I am seriously considering sending them my Focal Clear OGs. I don't have any complaints about the Clears but I can't help but wonder what the TOTL LCD5s might offer.

Has anyone moved up from the Clear OG to the 5? Any insight would be appreciated...
I didn't trade up from the clear, but I did own it for a stent. Personally, I felt like the clear was only a step up from the HD600, and most of the improvement was in bass. The LCD-5 is significantly more resolving than the HD600, and so I would imagine by extension, the Clear.

Jun 12, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #6,445 of 6,785

With the caveat that I also changed my whole chain at basically the same time, I think the LCD5 is quite the improvement, detail, dynamics, wonderful drum sounds…

Jun 13, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #6,446 of 6,785
I don't come from the Clear OG ... though have a faint audio memory. I do own the Focal Utopia and would say the LCD-5 would be a significant improvement in detail, dynamics, soundstage, placement although the sound signature is different. It is also a planar.

All top of the line headphones really deserve an audition before purchase. Preferably on your own equipment and a proper listen.

Jun 13, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #6,447 of 6,785

I went from the Clear OG to the LCD-5.
I found the clear's more comfortable, but heavier. (the lcd-5 earpad shape still bothers me, don't know if i'll ever get used to it 100%)
I like the harman curve, so I've EQ'd both with the oratory EQ for each. (i have several EQ's on my RME, but i always seem to find my way back to the target harman curve)

If the Clear OG is an 8/10 all around, the LCD-5 is an 10/10.
Just better across the board in every respect (minus amp requirements).
The most notable standouts are the detail, separation, dynamics, and sub-bass.
The dynamics seem to be rather wattage dependant, so a weaker amp might not wake LCD-5 up as much. Clear OG wasn't nearly as amp dependent to get the best out of it.

Jun 13, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #6,448 of 6,785
I found the clear's more comfortable, but heavier. (the lcd-5 earpad shape still bothers me, don't know if i'll ever get used to it 100%)
I like the harman curve, so I've EQ'd both with the oratory EQ for each. (i have several EQ's on my RME, but i always seem to find my way back to the target harman curve)

The dynamics seem to be rather wattage dependant, so a weaker amp might not wake LCD-5 up as much. Clear OG wasn't nearly as amp dependent to get the best out of it.
That's one thing I like about focal headphones; they sound very similar regardless of the amp. I found that driving my Elegia from the A90 or RME provides similar results, but I can't say the same about the LCD-5.

As for the comfort: The pads on the LCD-5 do wear significantly over time, but the clamp will always stay the same. The carbon headband won't stretch or loosen over time.

Jun 13, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #6,449 of 6,785
All top of the line headphones really deserve an audition before purchase. Preferably on your own equipment and a proper listen.

Yeah, I very much agree with this. I do have some very limited experience with the LCD line ( most recently the X, which I loved but felt was too heavy and clumsy for me to enjoy long term). I also own the Sine and Mobius fwiw, although they are for specific use cases and neither get much time vs my Clear and HD800s. My hope is that the 5 would give me more of what I loved about the X in a more satisfying form factor.

I'd be amping these with a Leben cs300sx and am a lifetime member of Roon, so I would have access to the Audeze preset. (I also have the Topping A90D although I use that mostly as a workhorse for background music while I work or read, vs the more intentional usage with the Leben.)

My only way to audition the LCD 5 before the program ends is via the program itself, which includes a 7 day return window, which is probably the only way to know for sure what the right call is. But all of the replies here have been super helpful.

Jun 13, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #6,450 of 6,785

Super helpful. I happen to really love the Clears but I am sure there is better out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back