Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Oct 19, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #5,971 of 6,785
Does anyone have any experience driving these off of the RME ADI 2 FS?
Yes, it's adequate but I would not recommend it. Get a real amp, an A90 at the very least. It is a great DAC though, I daily drive with it.

Oct 19, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #5,972 of 6,785
I just sold my LCD-X mainly because I have to EQ it so heavily and am on the fence about upgrading to the LCD-5 as many say it “requires” EQ and I’m worried I’ll be down the same EQ rabbit hole in a few weeks. What are your thoughts on an Un-EQed LCD-5 in comparison to more “harman neutral” cans.

Oct 19, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #5,973 of 6,785
I don't think it needs EQ to sound great. Based on Crinacle's measurements it hugs pretty close to the Harman Neutral curve and is not terribly different from the Focal Utopia (other that the Utopia's 6K spike).
Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 1.50.11 PM.png

Here it is in relation to the LCD-X 2021 version
Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 1.55.22 PM.png

Here it is in relation to the LCD-X OG version
Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 1.57.35 PM.png

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #5,974 of 6,785
I just sold my LCD-X mainly because I have to EQ it so heavily and am on the fence about upgrading to the LCD-5 as many say it “requires” EQ and I’m worried I’ll be down the same EQ rabbit hole in a few weeks. What are your thoughts on an Un-EQed LCD-5 in comparison to more “harman neutral” cans.
I was using my Studio-Six tube amp + Brand New Lokius 6 EQ + LCD5 and heard it for one week or so. Got used to it.
Yesterday, I took the external EQ out of chain and listened to a whole album again.
It was very good without EQ. Somehow, I don't hear the Mid in the face anymore or brain burn in already.
Will use external EQ for 2 channelststem upstair then.....

Probably prefer tube amp with LCD5.

Oct 20, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #5,975 of 6,785
My review/impressions didn't include any EQ.

Oct 20, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #5,976 of 6,785
So many wildly varying impressions.
My thoughts are they are too mid forward stock compared to Expanse's more Harmon like tuning.
I went into that experiment to see if tuning alone was the end all be all given equal setup and found that it is not. Even the Expanse's most Harmon like tuning still wasn't perfect for me, so ymmv. Tuning is still only just a piece of the puzzle. I know what recipe works for me on the 5's though.

Oct 20, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #5,977 of 6,785
Even the Expanse's most Harmon like tuning still wasn't perfect for me, so ymmv.
Harman target is heavily smoothed and averaged. No headphone will have perfect tonal balance because each person has different preferences and HRTF. Harman can get very close but it's not going to perfectly match. Hence why I EQ everything.

What can't be EQ'd is resolution and imaging. Both of which the LCD-5 excels in. And I haven't heard any better - though I haven't spent too much time with any estat.

Oct 22, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #5,979 of 6,785
After a year of owning an LCD-X I have finally decided to upgrade... LCD-5 is on its way! After trying in a local shop I decided the upgrade was worth the cost. Next step will be finding a good amp for them.

Oct 22, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #5,980 of 6,785
After a year of owning an LCD-X I have finally decided to upgrade... LCD-5 is on its way! After trying in a local shop I decided the upgrade was worth the cost. Next step will be finding a good amp for them.

Good that you were able to audition. I think they are a great canvas to tailor one's signature with.

Oct 23, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #5,982 of 6,785
Audeze LCD 5 vs Audeze LCD 4z which Audeze flagship headphones are right for you?

Checks out. It seems safe to say that the “old audeze” was going for a more laid back tonality with good bass slam, more soundstage width and added treble extension. Whereas the newer Audeze stuff is going for all around a more engaging signature with evenly distributed punchiness, centred presentation, and a more neutral tonality.

Oct 23, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #5,983 of 6,785
I wish the 5's had the previous style headband/yokes.

Oct 23, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #5,984 of 6,785
I wish the 5's had the previous style headband/yokes.
I don't, the old style last 6 months then you have the band resting directly on your noggin.

After the 5's pads broke in and with the new head band, I find the clap to be just right. Took a few months for the pads to properly break in, though.

Oct 23, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #5,985 of 6,785
I don't, the old style last 6 months then you have the band resting directly on your noggin.

After the 5's pads broke in and with the new head band, I find the clap to be just right. Took a few months for the pads to properly break in, though.

Well, maybe improved on that issue to avoid that. I like how the rods conform to the band instead of stick straight up like antennas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back