Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Oct 5, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #5,926 of 6,785
Our impressions of Expanse align pretty well. I was way more impressed with the imaging of the LCD5 than the Expanse. It's funny how this headphone has such wildly different impressions based on who is reviewing. So many reviews I've read are raving about the imaging and staging of the Expanse. I am scratching my head because on most tracks, I didn't hear it stand out at all. Sure, once in a while a track would come up that would have some nice imaging, but most of the time, it just kept stuff very close together inside of my head.
This is pretty funny, to be honest.

Oct 5, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #5,927 of 6,785
Oct 5, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #5,928 of 6,785
And slightly tragic because I was looking forward to an open back Stealth for so long!
It's part of the reality of the high subjectivity in audio.

Oct 5, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #5,929 of 6,785
Oct 5, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #5,930 of 6,785
Had a battle today.

20221004_192952.jpg

Btw, I don't wear the 5's like that, just how they came back.
Letting you in on a secret now... my 5's have been away getting repaired the last couple weeks. Right driver wasn't working one day... right when Expanse got announced. Perfect timing, right? Don't know how it happened. Just tried to listen one day and it wasn't working. No trauma or anything.

Well, today is the first time i've heard my LCD5's since mid-September. Surprisingly, both do sound more balanced out of the monoblocks with H/O as pre as i've had a few days with stock Expanse. Same impressions as mentioned before, just a tad more enhanced with them in the mix.
I a/b'd the monoblocks against Oor and the monoblock stage is noticeable as described. Sounds seem just a bit tighter or closer in with H/O than the monoblocks. It is minor to me, but it could be because i'm using HQP so the effect isn't as noticeable.

What is still evident and remains is I prefer the 5's imaging/staging. I've been thinking a lot about how to put this into words, but the proper description eludes me. After watching Resolves video this last weekend where he describes his Expanse impressions, I think he describes it best and is what I sense too. Expanse's staging being pushed back lends to an effect that sounds like the trailing ends of tones aren't as up front/fleshed out or prominent. In effect, the delivery is less incisive, and this is what keeps me from the engagement. The 5's vocal presence are just so seductively direct and seem to resonate through my head and soul like I am one with the music instead of listening from x distance away. I put them on with a test track and could immediately sense the frisson coming on where I was struggling to feel it with Expanse. Maybe a bit of cup resonance, imaging or staging having something to do with it all, whatever is responsible, it's captivating here and just melds my mind, body and soul into a feeling like I am ascending with the music and being rewarded with euphoria. As much as I dreaded having to be without them, the fact that they failed, slightly more clamp, glued pads, terrible acetate color, etc., it's still hard to take them off. They're just so addictive with what i've got going through them now. Sadly, the last few days I just haven't felt like listening to the Expanse.
That's exactly how I feel about the 5's from the NC400. Near perfect and centered imaging, with vocals so perfect it sounds like the singer is right in front of you.

Oct 5, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #5,931 of 6,785
Oct 5, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #5,932 of 6,785
Our impressions of Expanse align pretty well. I was way more impressed with the imaging of the LCD5 than the Expanse. It's funny how this headphone has such wildly different impressions based on who is reviewing. So many reviews I've read are raving about the imaging and staging of the Expanse. I am scratching my head because on most tracks, I didn't hear it stand out at all. Sure, once in a while a track would come up that would have some nice imaging, but most of the time, it just kept stuff very close together inside of my head.

I've learned to temper reading hyperbole and dialing it back several notches for reality.

I can see them great for those that don't want to fiddle with peq. Absolutely. Tonality, comfort, ease of use is nailed down. We could just be using the wrong gear to make them sing or magical or haven't stumbled upon it yet. Maybe just needs a convolution. lol. Great for those looking for a live band presentation. Maybe this is why some describe the 5's as detail in your face. I don't know. Sounds right to me. I know I don't want details to sound far away though.

Oct 5, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #5,933 of 6,785
Yeah, skin orgasm is another way to describe it. lol

Like I can kinda get a minimal sense listening to some songs in the car or through my soundbar if I concentrate hard enough but with the 5's the same parts of songs are like injecting a booster shot of frisson juice.

Just be sure to go easy on the leather conditioner and don’t get any frisson juice on your LCD-5 😂

Oct 5, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #5,934 of 6,785
Day 1 of owning the LCD-5 -- took advantage of the trade-in program and sent in my original LCD-X. Initial impressions are very good -- reminds me of when first upgrading from mid-tier to TOTL. I was a bit concerned with all the talk about EQ but I like the tuning as-is and with the Roon LCD-5 preset. More to come...

Oct 6, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #5,935 of 6,785
Day 1 of owning the LCD-5 -- took advantage of the trade-in program and sent in my original LCD-X. Initial impressions are very good -- reminds me of when first upgrading from mid-tier to TOTL. I was a bit concerned with all the talk about EQ but I like the tuning as-is and with the Roon LCD-5 preset. More to come...
Same here about the tuning. I do now run a convolution filter but it isn’t a must have for me. I guess some peoples ears are more sensitive to a forward mid-range. Mine aren’t - and I love vocal based tracks. My sensitivity is in the treble - and that’s where the LCD 5 is really refined (almost dark). So when some people call it a ”bright” headphone it really depends on your perspective (and sensitivities).

Oct 6, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #5,936 of 6,785
So i have an observation, I do EQ my 5 when I'm on my PC. But when I listen on my Fiio M15, I don't need any EQ; they just sound right; maybe it's just the DAP. Not sure.

Oct 6, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #5,937 of 6,785
I started to use EQ with my LCD5 + Studio-Six tube amp + Lokius EQ + PL Evo 100 tube DAC + CD Transport.

For me, it's another league on top of my Utopia OG without EQ. Will EQ Utopia and comparing with my ears later.

Never use EQ for hp. Only stack rack from the 90s Good Guys Integrated System, still listening from garage from time to time....
Need to check my 5 CD revolver unit, though. Just gave up on power..

20220928_151051.jpg

Oct 6, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #5,938 of 6,785
Amps and DACs do matter for tuning the headphones, not only the EQ.

On Cayin HA-300 and Holo May LCD-5 sounded great yet only the bass could be more impactful. Then on Enleum Amp-23R the bass is great but I started to have a problem with midrange being too forward, too much ‘in your face’. I didn’t understand people writing this before. I would say that the first option doesn’t need an EQ, maybe different tube for better bass. Enleum on the other hand could use a bit of EQ. I have my PC (so with the ability to EQ) on other, more affordable system (Topping D90 AKM and Burson Soloist 3xp) and there I can EQ and I do it occasionally for testing yet I don’t feel the need of it all the time.

So I wouldn’t call LCD-5 (or maybe any headphones) that they need to be EQed. It depends on the system.

Oct 8, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #5,939 of 6,785
I started to use EQ with my LCD5 + Studio-Six tube amp + Lokius EQ + PL Evo 100 tube DAC + CD Transport.

For me, it's another league on top of my Utopia OG without EQ. Will EQ Utopia and comparing with my ears later.

Never use EQ for hp. Only stack rack from the 90s Good Guys Integrated System, still listening from garage from time to time....
Need to check my 5 CD revolver unit, though. Just gave up on power..

20220928_151051.jpg
Looking forward to your thoughts on the eq:d Utopia vs Lcd-5. If possible please share your settings, it helps to understand your preferences.

Oct 8, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #5,940 of 6,785
Amps and DACs do matter for tuning the headphones, not only the EQ.

So I wouldn’t call LCD-5 (or maybe any headphones) that they need to be EQed. It depends on the system.
Might you not be saying that system-tuning itself is another glorified way of doing "EQ," in which case some EQ'ing is always inescapable even for EQ-agnostics? Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back